My new runabout - bangernomics style

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edstrom76

Car
W124 E300D Auto
Tbh I shouldn't really place her in the bangernomics bracket, it's unfair on her :)
She's done 95k miles, has one previous owner (the wife's auntie) so I didn't mull too much over the decision of fetching her. Overall I'd say she's in near mint condition, she is a proper time machine and the interior hasn't got a mark on it.

Propelled by the indestructible N/A OM606 power plant, coupled with the 4-speed auto 'box. Complete with cruise control and...well no other extras really, apart from maybe the period green metallic paint job :)

On a serious note, my last two cars were a 62 reg S204 and a 65 reg X218 and this car honestly don't feel that much of a step down. The ride is amazing, my previous cars were not a patch on her. She feels very solid and reliable, and quiet at motorway speeds.

I used to drive a S124 taxi in Sweden so there is a bit of sentimentality there - I think she's a keeper! Got loads and loads of docmentation so I know exactly what's been spent on her, she's wanted for nothing all her life. Full service history, obviously.

What I do like (I think the mono windscreen wiper is my absolute favourite feature, why it never caught on I don't know :)) is that although she's 23 years old she still has all the stuff you'd take for granted in a more modern car, such as power windows, power steering, ABS and airbags.

The last picture perfectly sums up my feelings for her :DIMG-20180303-WA0003.jpg IMG-20180303-WA0005.jpg IMG-20180303-WA0006.jpg IMG-20180303-WA0001.jpg

A few more pics here: W124 - Google Drive

All comments welcome!

looks like a nice car, worth keeping nice in my eyes. it's probably only going to go up in value if cared for.

Looks lovely, only 1 year old than my R129 (and many parts in common :) ).

Lovely w124, They knew how to build them :)

Nice find. IMO, the W124 was a really well built car when the Mercedes brand was still upmarket.

I think the mono windscreen wiper is my absolute favourite feature, why it never caught on I don't know :)

I think there are a few preventative maintenance items to do on this, research it.

The Scandanavians used to tune the bollocks off these cars with bigger injector pumps and turbos ,but sadly to be reliable they needed extensive internal strenthening with better conrods and pistons and oil spray nozzles. some discussion here
om606 tuning
There was a company called STT SVENSK TURBO TEKNIK [ Crewe Engines were their agents] that used to make turbo kits for the OM606 but probably long gone by now. The OM 606 is a great engine my main gripe with it as a N/A engine was it was a little "slow off the mark" What might address this would the fitment of one of these new fangled electric superchargers which are designed precisely to address a lack of boost at low revs. Now that would be a project! Lovely car by the way.:)

This car looks bloomin lovely, congratulation on your ownership.

A few more photos particularly interior would be welcome.

Robin

Great looking 124. Just needs some Period OEM wheels :)

I think there are a few preventative maintenance items to do on this, research it.
Will do mate, cheers for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom