My new wheel setup - what do you guys think? :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maurauth

Car
2016 BMW M4 Convertible
I know the R172 isn't very popular on here, and I know some (a lot haha) of you guys are going to hate this setup, but I'm sure some of you will appreciate how different it is to the usual R172 look.

Tempted to go lower, with a bit more camber angle but don't want to ruin the handling as going from 7.5j / 8.5j up to 8.5j / 9.5j has drastically improved the cornering, feels like a totally different car!

Also, had my first go at vinyl wrapping with doing the centre caps in CF!

The only downside is the slight drop in acceleration from stopped, but this is greatly made up for by the much improved handling.

I was actually going to go with chrome-on-gold rather than chrome-on-black but the supplier ran out of when I placed my order luckily, as after having a good think about it I think gold might have been a wee bit too in your face and bordering on chavvy.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 120
more...

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 51
last couple!

The rears were a bit tight, but I think it makes them look even better. Going to be impossible not to kerb them though haha!

5bzlex.jpg

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 42
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 43
Thats looks great, i wouldnt go anymore black but thats a nice balance ;)

I think they look really smart. Seen some nice 172's on here lately.

Cheers guys, yeah I'm not a fan of all-black alloys, but the chrome lip really sets them off and makes sure the wheels, tyres and arches don't all mesh into one black hole.

I am probably going to add a bit more black/dark colour carbon fibre though, as per my other thread in the general forum.

Yeh cheers, just haven't seen many on here and when I've used the forum search for info about the model there's been a few hate comments. Preparing myself for the worst and all that in my OP haha.

Looks great, really like the chrome / black combination. For the centre caps though, I'd fit a standard black Mercedes ones, or maybe a black roadster ones?

Last edited:
Cheers mate. I actually had a set of black Mercedes ones and black AMG ones with the Affalterbach logo but the standard centre cap is 75mm and these ones are only I think 65mm which seems an awkward size so I thought I'd have a bit of wrapping practice to cover them up for now whilst I try and source / make a proper one.

That looks great. I agree with you about needing a chrome or polished lip on alloys.

Agree with all the above do you have an exhaust soundclip?

Tony.

I have one saved somewhere on one of my devices, just need to find and upload it to YT and I'll post it.

To be honest, it's a lot nicer to stock with a lot more popping and burbling but it's just not as loud as I expected. I love that it's quite quiet at low revs around town but when you're out on the country lanes it's not quite as rorty as it could be - hence the idea to go for a de-cat for even more noise and to release a few more horses.

I'll dig it out when I get back from my run.

Cheers mate. I actually had a set of black Mercedes ones and black AMG ones with the Affalterbach logo but the standard centre cap is 75mm and these ones are only I think 65mm which seems an awkward size so I thought I'd have a bit of wrapping practice to cover them up for now whilst I try and source / make a proper one.

I'm pretty sure I've seen 65mm black laurel roadster caps on AliExpress ... not exactly OE, but not that bad either, judging by the set of 75mm ones :rolleyes:
And for the price (about 12% of MB) you can change them every quarter :thumb:

I'm pretty sure I've seen 65mm black laurel roadster caps on AliExpress ... not exactly OE, but not that bad either, judging by the set of 75mm ones :rolleyes:
And for the price (about 12% of MB) you can change them every quarter :thumb:

Ah, I'll have a look! I thought I found some but then the clips on the inside were a different diameter and the seller was measuring the outside.

I made the mistake of not properly measuring them before putting them on the car, will take one of the wheels off later and order a few different sizes to ensure I can get a good set.

A bit irritating because I'd specifically bought the black/chrome AMG logo badges :(

I like the wheels and the car looks great but have you got the correct size tyres?

The Pirelli's have a lip that helps to protect the alloy rim from kerbing but your wheels protrude further than the tyre lip.

Can't say I've ever noticed 'hate' for SLK's, there's a bit of the usual banter about hairdressers etc but that's the same for any convertible.

Your SLK look great btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom