My personal collection experience - Bremen Sept 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gtione

Car
Mercedes E350 Coupe
Well as promised I am ready to share my experience of my recent personal collection from Mercedes Benz.

I ordered my E Coupe 350 Cdi just over three months ago from Mercedes Benz Brooklands and opted for the personal collection program as I had heard good things about it through this forum. My collection date was arranged for the 27th of September.

The process of getting all this organised was pretty seamless with the collection team getting everything spot on. I made my way to Heathrow airport on the Sunday morning to catch the 10h30 flight to Bremen. I arrived early and took advantage of all the goodies they had on offer as part of the business class flight. Flight departed on time and I was off. If I was to be honest I don’t think the business class flight was worth the money over economy for a short haul flight. I would rather have forgone that option and upgraded the hotel or something else.

I arrived in Hamburg to be welcomed by taxi driver and terrible weather. After two hours in the back of a E220 cdi estate I arrived at the Hilton in Bremen. The hotel was okay. Maybe I expected to much from a 4* hotel. It compared to an average 3* over here in my opinion. Food was great though it has to be said. They charge 17 Euro for a day’s internet which is a rip off in today’s terms. As I arrived just before 16h00 most of the shops etc in the area were closed so there was very little to do and the rain did not help.

I booked my Taxi to MB Bremen for 08h00 to leave plenty of time to complete my paperwork etc. All this went well and I got to see my car for the first time 45 min later. I received a brief handover from their team and left it in the handover area until I was ready to depart. I then met up with “John”, an Irishman just like me who took me on the factory tour. The tour was informative and more or less what I expected. The E coupe/cabriolet production line was great to see and it is truly amazing what goes on in there.

I then returned to my car and drove outside where I searched for the Euro Tunnel departures in Calais on the commans system. Once set up off I went. I left at 11h45 from Bremen and it rained the whole way home all 500 miles of it. Thankfully I felt great and only needed to stop twice on the way for a quick break. The German Autobahn was not all I had thought it might be. The amount of traffic on these roads especially trucks made it more stressful than anything else. The mix of a brand new £45 car and heavy rain on foreign roads had taken a toll. The roads in Belgium and France were much better in all respects.

I reached Calais at 18h30 and proceeded to the Euro tunnel. I opted for the flexi ticket which meant I was straight on and back in the UK in 40min. Got home 20H30 UK time with a sore bum and back but slept like a log and was fresh the next morning.

Took the car through to Brooklands for the post delivery checks and had the Starguard done etc. I got this done for £150 which I thought was an okay deal as well as a free 1 hour AMG driving course which was cool and informative.

One week in and the car is still going great. MPG is okay I suppose at this stage for a new car. I averaged 39 mpg on the way home from Bremen. I suppose it will improve after a few more miles go on the clock. Local motorway runs with 700 miles on the clock have not improved this figure as yet.

Over all I would give the personal collection program a 7/10. Would I do it again? Most likely not but please don’t let this put you off doing it yourself should you be in the position to do so. Maybe I was expecting to much, who knows.

I have attached a few pics of my car for all to see....enjoy :thumb:

Attachments

• P1010108.jpg
    P1010108.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 266
  • P1010112.jpg
    P1010112.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 263
  • P1010113.jpg
    P1010113.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 260
£45 car? Wow those finance campaigns are great nowadays!

That is interesting and quite different to a past article in my local franchise magazine.
The difference between reality and rhapsody I suppose.
I would not have enjoyed the return journey.
The car looks very pleasing and well worth the experience.

Splitpin

The car looks really nice (and the wheels!) but you don't sound too enthusiastic about it. Is the car not as good as you had been hoping for?

I think it would have made a difference if you had gone with somone to share the experience plus stretch things out a bit longer?
I would have loved to have done a personal collection of our last car & taken wife but we could not due to recently born child at the time.
Nice car & thanks for posting pics/experience

Car looks great,

As above did you go alone as it would have been much better with company? its a great trip.

Are you happy with the car, again you don't sound over happy with a £45 car on the drive? (difficult to tell typing :)

Hope your enjoying it, 39mpg sounds pretty good given its new.

Lovely car, and it sounds like a worthwhile trip. Thank you also for your exact timings! I am doing that route the other way round - Calais to Bremen in a fortnight and your timings provide much food for thought. I had heard from a German friend that the roads are all being repaired and traffic heavy, but your times confirm I need to be a little less ambitious.

Lovely car.........liking the 19's. How is the ride? On my 18`s i find it a little rough on our wonderful roads.

I note in a previous post you mentioned that the sat nav has 3d maps - could you post a pic of this is possible.

I`ve looked on my Comand (car bought 1 year ago) and can`t find a 3d option.

You also have the HK sound system - same as myself - Are you finding the rear shelf rattling a bit on higher bass?

Regards

SH

As other have said - the car looks great. The trip/experience didn't sound so go though.

Lovely looking car and the panoramic roof too!

Wouldn't have bothered with Starguard, waste of money IMHO

Thanks for sharing your experience :D

Thanks for the write-up!

Yes the autobahns can be stressful, we often drive overnight which helps as there's much less traffic. Some of the new ones are very nice, but the older ones don't compare well with UK motorways (bends, speed limits, bumpy surface, etc.).

Have to say the French Toll roads seem amongst the best roads in Europe to 'get places'

Lane disapline much better then UK and no heavy's

:)

I find it strange you say the roads in France and Belgium are better than Germany, I've done that route many times now and have always found crossing the German border a huge relief- out of interest which route did you take? I found the Bremen factory rather drab and depressing, even in the sunshine!

Any chance you have parked this in Tesco's Sunbury? If so, I fear I must apologise for drewling all over it, what a fantastic looking car! :) An awesome spec and colour combination that looks stunning in the flesh.

Last edited:
Lovely car, great colour- congrats

If I go ahead with my order, intended personal collection date from Bremen is 11th December...

Seeing as the car comes on transit plates and has to be registered on arrival in the UK...

How long can you draw this process out? ie could I wait to register it in January and benefit from a 2011 registration??

Not sure if anyone knows if this is possible

You actually pay in full for the car before you set off to collect from the factory. The Transit Plates allow you to drive the car, which you are effectively doing as an unpaid delivery driver. The plates are only valid for a limited time (normally 7 days) and it was stressed to me when I did my collection that you're only allowed to drive the car from the port of entry to the nominated dealership once on UK soil.

Bearing this in mind, MB have your money so if you chose not to register the car immediately then I'd say that was your business. However, you would not be able to drive it so storage of the vehicle would be an issue (not to mention insurance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom