My W124 500E #2 - I'm returning to the fold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Finally photos of the car as it stands - enjoy!

Few more jobs to tick off the list over the next year or so then i'll be completely happy with the car:

- New MB distributor caps, rotor arms and insulator seals
- Refit OEM backbox (waiting for the rubber mounts)
- Replace gearbox mount (easy part to change)
- Wire in the ASR defeat kit and mount switch
- Refinish the wood trims in the front console
- Refurbish alloys all around
- Replace the fan with electric fan
- Paint wiper arm, airbox cover and valve covers
- Professional detail

Any suggestions or comments welcome :thumb:

Cheers,

Bill

Where you at the Brooklands meet ?

Great looking car and wheels with proper tyres :D

that's one helluva nice lookin' car!
do you have a bootlid for japan market?

w124 dashboard has the nicest looking design MB ever did on any car, period!
contour lines of the dashboard are so bjutiful!
I think MB failed on on all other cars after w124

too bad you're missing most switches on centre console, it would have been much better with a full options 500E

that's one helluva nice lookin' car!
do you have a bootlid for japan market?

w124 dashboard has the nicest looking design MB ever did on any car, period!
contour lines of the dashboard are so bjutiful!
I think MB failed on on all other cars after w124

too bad you're missing most switches on centre console, it would have been much better with a full options 500E
Yeah its from Japan. Lightly optioned for a 500E, doesn't even have a sunroof, very rare!

Time for an update guys, the car has come along with my last update above. Basically it began misfiring and I wanted the original muffler back on so I installed the following:

- Distributor caps (OEM MB)
- Rotor arms (OEM MB)
- Insulator seals (OEM MB)
- Backbox exhaust hangers (Febi)

I had primarily been concentrating on the mechanical side of things and neglecting the cosmetics ever since I bought the car. I attended the MB concours car show last month so had a pull my finger out and get a few cosmetics sorted:

- Alloy wheels refurbished in Audi Daytona Grey - they're so shiny they look wet in the sunlight, amazing.
- Brake calipers removed, cleaned and professionally painted
- Front grill, windscreen wipers and headlight wipers painted satin black
- Rocker covers removed, repainted in silver and stickers which have been sitting on the shelf forever fitted
- Re dyed the steering wheel and now it looks and feels brand new

Unfortunatly I had vibration and noises with the steering wheel. On closer inspection it turns out the steering box is knackered - perhaps made worse by the replacement of various steering compotents recently that put more pressure on the box. To add insult to injury the box itself is an E500/500E part. Now I could have the box refurbished but I didn't want the car off the road and I heard mixed reviews of refurbing as the components inside would no longer be MB. After scouring the internet I found someone breaking a 53k original miles 500E (1992) so bought the box and had it shipped over. It has now arrived, going to pop to MB later to pick up steering oil and the filter for the reservior - hoping to have the box fitted on Friday - more updates once its fitted.

Enjoy the pics to bring things up to date:

Cheers,
Bill

That steering wheel is just sublime...

Who did the refurb on the alloys if you dont mind me asking?

Powdercoast or paint?

Dee

Hi 500E,

I love your car.:thumb:

Please don't take this as criticism but has your car been in a shunt?

I couldn't help but notice on the side picture showing the B pillar where the doors meet, that shut lines look wide at the bottom and pinched at the top. Is it me or are the doors not aligned?

KR,

Milo.

Hi 500E,

I love your car.:thumb:

Please don't take this as criticism but has your car been in a shunt?

I couldn't help but notice on the side picture showing the B pillar where the doors meet, that shut lines look wide at the bottom and pinched at the top. Is it me or are the doors not aligned?

KR,

Milo.
Cheers pal. No accidents, just the lower cladding shows a bigger gap.

That steering wheel is just sublime...

Who did the refurb on the alloys if you dont mind me asking?

Powdercoast or paint?

Dee

Painted as I needed them turned around in 2 days. Custom Cars in Hayes, highly recommended.

Amazing car. I do love w124 and w126))). All the best

And this is why I wished I kept my pants on the 3rd time... stupid "needs to have space to carry 5 people" requirement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom