My W210 Rear Ended! Bad Day!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blicky_1

Car
BMW F10 520d M-Sport
Only been back on the road three weeks since the LPG conversion and some idiot only slides into the back of me this morning in a Vauxhall Zafira whilst stationary, I was waiting for a guy in front of me to turn right!! Road surface was only a couple of weeks old and it was raining :mad: Older guy was driving the Zafira and was OK, well at least he was insured with the Post Office they will not know what has hit them with my claim!

All I could think when he was getting closer in my rear view mirror (and the skidding noise) was s*** the LPG tank in the boot!! :eek:

Luckly the car dealt with the impact very well as it made a large bang and threw me forward, it hardly shows any impact on the rear apart from a couple of scratch marks and i noticed the gaps at the edge of the bumper have got bigger.

Luckly the LPG system seems all OK, the installers are checking it over tomorrow, my bodyshop have looked over the car to give the Insurers an estimate. While there i asked what the loan cars were, a KIA :eek: I said no chance and got onto Direct Line and they asked what car do I want?? :D (do they have CL65's :D ) I guess this is because they won't be paying!

Anyway that was this morning, at 4pm the missus calls me to let me know someone has reversed into the Sportka in a car park and driven off (left no details!) few scratches on the bumper and a smashed front no. plate luckly.

Overall not having a good day :mad:

P.S. the neck is getting stiffer, luckly I have booked to see the Doc. tomorrow morning ;) he he

Yeah, that must have been pretty scary ... hearing skid marks ... knowing you had a tank full of gas in the boot ... thinking ... I hope they fitted that kit properly ...

Hope the neck soon recovers!

blicky 1, this is one Rememberence day to forget.

LPG system has been checked and all is OK :)

Bodyshop has estimated cost at about £500 to repair rear bumper + cost of loan car, this will be = to my car or better.

Solicitors have called and are pursuing claim for whiplash as confirmed by my doctor :bannana:

Last edited:
Hope all goes well and you end up as good as new!

Sorry about your car though
Michele

Only been back on the road three weeks since the LPG conversion and some idiot only slides into the back of me this morning in a Vauxhall Zafira whilst stationary........

Luckly the LPG system seems all OK

P.S. the neck is getting stiffer, luckly I have booked to see the Doc. tomorrow morning ;) he he

Hi Blicky,
I now you wrote this a few years ago, but I see you are still an active member, so hope you see this post.

I'm interested in finding out if your car was an estate or saloon. I am considering a gas conversion on a w210 estate, but seem to have hit a problem with the security if the gas tank.

Please look at my post on this thread:http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=731860#post731860 and reply with your thoughts.

Is your neck OK now?:)

I'm just seriously curious!!.. Could your car have exploded (or the tank) if the impact was hard enough??

Hi Blicky,
I now you wrote this a few years ago, but I see you are still an active member, so hope you see this post.

I'm interested in finding out if your car was an estate or saloon. I am considering a gas conversion on a w210 estate, but seem to have hit a problem with the security if the gas tank.

Please look at my post on this thread:http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=731860#post731860 and reply with your thoughts.

Is your neck OK now?:)

The car was a saloon, gas tank in the spare wheel well. I guess this will be the same for an estate?

Sold the car just over a year ago now, it had covered about 130k with NO LPG related problems whatsoever! I now drive an Audi A4 1.8T S-Line that I have also had converted, covered 70k with it and again no problems (apart from my wallet has trouble fitting in my trousers with all the money I have saved!)

Btw the neck is fine now, it seemed to get better after the 3k payout! lol

I'm just seriously curious!!.. Could your car have exploded (or the tank) if the impact was hard enough??

The only way this would happen is if the impact was that bad you would be dead from that alone! let alone the gas tank splitting.

Your fuel tank is wafer thin or plastic in most cases now so I would worry about that one first!

The car was a saloon, gas tank in the spare wheel well. I guess this will be the same for an estate?
The spare wheel fits upright in the side of the boot in an estate. That is the reason for the difficulty fitting a tank securely (apparently).

DRUK had done LPG conversions in a couple of his W124 estates - he had a long , cylindrical tank running lengthwise up one side of the load bay - it did take up perhaps 1/3 of the width of the load area and all the length but it was a BIG tank .

You can get 'doughnut' type tanks designed to stand vertically ( the tanks are made for either horizontal or vertical mounting but you have to get the correct one ) and they will be fitted securely . Some 'doughnut' tanks have a 'hole in the middle' through which I suppose the normal spare wheel retaining bolt can be fitted , other tanks don't have the hole and thus have greater capacity for given size but will have to be bolted in somehow .

The main thing that put me off was my wish to lose neither load capacity nor a proper spare wheel .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom