Neo MP3 Jukebox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aswall

Car
CLS 350
Anyone had any experience of these? They seem to compare very favourably pricewise with the Phatnoise/Music Keg and have the same features, while being able to interface fully with alpine headunits. I like the idea of being able to take it out of the car and plug it into a dedicated bay on your home stereo as well.

I just think that if they were as good as the Phatnoise/Keg then you would hear more about them so I am slightly suspicious

Cheers
Andy

Hi there

I have a NEO 35 jukebox, there are several problems with them and you either love them or hate them.

New firmware is becoming available for them that improves all the features of the original and is open source. I've yet to test it out but will be doing so very soon.

Checkout www.ssi-america web site and look at the Open NEo forum.

Craig

Thanks Craig, that forum looks a mine of information

But you haven't said whether you're in the love or hate camp ......

Cheers
Andy

I think I'm about to love it.... If I can successfully upgrade to Open Neo, then I think I will love it.

There are several problems with the NEO.

Besides firmware bugs - addressed in open neo hopefully...

1. Power up, sometimes fails to start HD
2. FM interference, trashes FM receiver
3. Modulator - very poor
4. 137GB limit - fixed in open Neo
5. Random bug
6. CDC interface is very poor.

Since I now have an AUX input adaptor on my command, the FM probs should dissapear.

Craig

Thanks for the info Craig, I'll hang back for a bit and see what develops

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

I've just bought a Neo 35 jukebox (from eBayUSA - much cheaper than in the UK) complete with USB 'home' bay.

First impressions are good, although I'm changing the supplied 20 Gb 3.5" hard disk for a 2.5" note book drive (only runs on 5V so it won't suffer from low voltage on the 12V supply when starting plus they're more robust).

From reading http://www.funmp3players.com/forum/ I'll replace the FM modulator with the XO-Vision RFM-70 ($20) and replace the phono leads with double screened ones.

I've fitted the remote display behind the pop up cover in the small storage compartment under the radio.

Sound quiality is fine when listening to the unit indoors. I'll let you know how I get on (once I've finished installing the Audio 30 APS).

Cheers, Robert

The Neo35 itself is the main cause of the FM inerference, it just kills any FM reception modulator or not.

Did you get the USB 2.0 docking bay?

The USB 1.1 is painfully slow. I copied 90GB of music to mine and it took nearly 2 days.

ALso I did the capacitor trick with my neo, solder a 2200uF cap across the12V inside the neo. Didn' think it helped much.

I appear to have a USB 2.0 docking bay - I've only got USB 1.1 at home but I'll check it on my office PC.

The capacitor trick isn't needed with the 2.5" notebook hard disk as it runs on 5V. It may help with a 3.5" hard disk, but a DC to DC converter would be better (£50 ish from RS).

I'm not convinced that the Neo causes the FM interference - I'll let you know.

Cheers, Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom