Never Swear at your Lawn Mower

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Long story, moved car out of the garage onto the drive, tidied garage, used the new mower and cut the back lawn. I thought I ought to wash the car when the sun dies down a bit. I know, I'll get the old crappy petrol mower out to cut the front verge, bloody thing started and then stopped, so and hour later having sworn at it and cursed it, threatened to take it to the tip, I stripped the carb down, cleaned the plug it and bob's your uncle its running again. Went out the front started on the verge, and bang, then the car alarm started I looked round to see the S205 with a shattered rear screen. My heart sank, my totally unmarked Baby is broken. The bloody mowers got its own back by throwing a stone at the car.
Now waiting for Auto Windscreens to source a rear screen with privacy glass.

How will I know? Do Mercedes make glass, I thought they bought them in.
Auto Windscreens phoned me within a hour saying they are sourcing a replacement, as I live on the Isle of Wight, one has to be shipped over, they are coming between 8-11 tomorrow morning

Sympathies, I've done that one too. It's really annoying isn't it. All the more so for being (sort of) self inflicted.

Mercedes do supply genuine glass and some insurance companies will let you have genuine glass.

Watch what they do with the wire cutting the old glass out so they don't damage the paintwork - Autoglass did that replacing my windscreen on my 968 coupe and hid the damage under the rubber seal, cost me about £400 a couple of years later to have the paint repaired!

Hi Guys, Update It was National Windscreens kept me informed all the way, nice chap arrived this morning about 10:30am
Very professional, checked everything before starting, was very careful when removing the wiper, spoiler, and all the trim, which appeared quite daunting to me even though I have rebuilt many cars in the 1980's and 90's He cleaned and checked everything at each stage, and explained what he was doing, he didn't mind me watching. Now I'm a fussy old git, but everything was done to my satisfaction and I'm very pleased with the outcome. I will make sure the car is in the garage when cutting the verge in future.
A lesson learned and £75 excess payment is very good value as the screen was around £1k without the labour. I even made him tea and a mini roll plus a Tenner Tip.

On the upside, I'd rather it hit a window than a body panel!

I feel your pain. I broke a drop glass on my 212 with a stone flicked up by my strimmer.
It was the day before my MB experience at Brooklands.
Couldn't use the MB, the shattered glass was held in with gaffa tape.
Went to my son's house in daughters elderly Fiesta and then driven there by son in his Focus.
The indignity of arriving at MB Brooklands is not an experience I would care to repeat.
At least Autoglass did a perfect job the next day

I’d rather the window than a body panel as well !

Yep much easier to sort out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom