New 2014 C-Class: Sport or Standard (Suspension)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KJV

Car
Mercedes-Benz C 220 BlueTec (2014)
Hello, everyone! Please, help me with some advice. I have just ordered the new C-Class (W205) AMG-Line and would like to know your thoughts, or facts, whether the Sport suspension will compromise, or improve, the ride?

A little about where I'm coming from; owned 3 Peugeot (307 SW, 406 Sedan), and is currently driving a Peugeot 508 SW (2012) which I bought brand new. All cars have had standard suspension set-up, which I always thought could need a little sportier feel, although I've been happy with all cars otherwise. I quite like the 508 ride, but must say that I really fancy driving on 17" tyres rather than original 16". The ride is a little firmer on the 17", more the way I like it with a little less (not much, of course) body roll and better feel with the road. The road noise is of course a little bit louder with 17", but overall ride experience/handling makes it well worth it. Now, I want something sportier that at the same time gives the Merc-comfort.

The new W205 will be delivered in May, and the dealer told me that I can change any options right until the production date (beginning of May), so, in the meantime I try to find out how the new C-Class (or even the prior model) will behave with AMG-Line (sport suspension and 18").

Sincerely KJV (74-model)

Hi KJV,
I'm also seriously considering a W205 but not until next year. One of the key things that attract me to the car is the air suspension option with adjustable settings which I hope will give the best of all worlds and I'm told air suspension can give a quieter ride. At £895 it seems a good deal if it performs as promised. I believe first deliveries start in Europe this month and so we should soon start to see road test reports which might help with your decision.

Best regards, Roger

Hi, Roger Bill, and thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!
Well, it's a brand new car and all I can hope for is that one of the two test vehicles that arrives the 13th will be the AMG-Line version, so that I am sure to make the right choice for myself. Let's stay in touch, and talk more when we get the cars:)

Based on previous experience with the E-Class I'd recommend air suspension every time if you can stretch to it - and at £895 it sounds like a bargain. You should get the option of sport and comfort all in one.

hi,KJV found this while reading up on the new w205,might help.

The new C-class’s chassis has been tuned to offer a more sporty and agile drive without compromising ride comfort. Stiffness has been increased by around 20 per cent.

The suspension consists of a four-link set-up at the front and a five-link arrangement at the rear. A steel suspension system with selective damping is fitted as standard in three different versions, including a sports set-up lowered by 15mm in AMG Line models.

they also said this about the air suspension you mentioned.

The big news, however, is the option of AirMatic air suspension, the first time it has been offered in this class. This fully adaptive, self-levelling system offers four driving modes, from Comfort to Sport+, or allows the driver to tailor his own preferences in the Individual mode.

Thank you very much, guys!
Whether or not this is a new or a traditional type of sport suspension, I do not know, but here is what MB-website (in Norway) says about the AMG sport suspension: (sorry for any bad translation)

"The sporty variant of the Agility Control-suspension is lowered 15mm and is firmer which allows for a more dynamic driving style. The selective, passive suspension system still provides a very comfortable ride."

If the sport suspension for the new C-Class is the same as the prior model, I might consider the extra cost for Airmatic. Sport suspension being another version of the Agility Control-suspension; is this old news? If, however, Merc has upgraded the sport suspension somehow, who knows how the ss will feel like. In Norway, the Airmatic costs 1630 Euros, so I really hope one of the two test vehicles that arrives the 13th will have the AMG-Line so that I can decide! Luckily, the dealer told me that I can change any options up until the actual production date, which he told me was early/mid May.

Hi KJV, Here in the UK we won't see any cars until June, so I'll be really interested in what you discover on the 13th.

I noticed that, Roger. I will surely report back when time comes!
In the meantime, I've googled everything about the car so extensively that Siri probably will give me the silent treatment for the first trips;-)

let us all no how it goes car looks great mb really keeping up or better than the rivals now!.

brabD3S, I sure will in May!
Although I have an appointment this Friday...to test drive one with the AMG-Line test models:-D

The dealer told me my test car would have the AMG-Line, but silent about the rest. Something tells me, that the test vehicle will combine the sport chassis with Airmatic, rather than regular springs. We'll see. I actually hope they have one with sport chassis/regular steel springs...don't want to pay for something (Airmatic) if steel gives me good vibes.!

look forward to hearing about your test drive and how you think the car drives don,t forget to try and give it a bit of stick! get a proper feel for it .
intrigued to see weather they give you the airmatic setup as its new to the c class. good luck.

Lots of initial road test reports are beginning to appear including:

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-style/motors/mercedes-targets-cclass-perfection-20140311-34jfv.html

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Mercedes-C-class-C250-Bluetec-AMG-Line-2014-CAR-review/

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mercedes-benz/c-class/first-drives/2014-mercedes-benz-c250-bluetec-first-drive-review

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mercedes-benz/c-class/first-drives/2014-mercedes-benz-c250-first-drive-review

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/video-can-new-2014-mercedes-c-class-lead-compact-exec-class

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/11/2015-mercedes-benz-c-class-review/

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/mercedes-c-class-first-drive-2014-5-10

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1090776_2015-mercedes-benz-c-class-first-drive

http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/wheels/reviews/2014/03/first-drive-w205-mercedes-benz-c-class

http://www.carmag.co.za/driving-impressions/mercedes-benz-c250/

I think the most useful comment re the air/standard suspension options is: "We are told the standard steel sprung set-up is near to Comfort but more forcefully damped to prevent the float." from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/mercedes-benz/10684096/Mercedes-Benz-C-class-review.html

Of most concern are the many criticisms about engine noise and smoothness. However, none of these reports relate to the C200 petrol engine which, from the limited choice we'll be offered in the UK, will probably be best for me. Does anyone know from experience with the E200 and E250 whether the lower turbo boost will make the C200 a little more refined than the more powerful C250 which I guess uses the same 4 cylinder petrol engine?

The only problem with airmatic is it tends to make the steering feel a bit dead, which I hate.
Same on the E Class, BMWs, Audis etc.

I think I would stick with steel springs and not sport, but would need to try it.

Sport set up usually just means much harder without actually giving more control imho, if anything most AMG Sportlines, S-Lines, M-Sport set ups just make the car more crashy and a bit more skittish when pressing on, they may feel sportier at first, but not sure if they add anything in real terms and you loose the comfort.

Gentlemen, the more I've researched facts, and personal experiences, the more I've come to the conclusion that still getting the AMG-Line, but WITH Airmatic will suit me best, even though it's a little extra cost. Roger, thanks for the links!

I just like the look of the AMG-Line (exterior styling, lower and looks better on 18" etc.) so much more than the SE, Avantgarde and Exclisive, but still would like some options at my fingertips. I do a lot of driving on all kinds of road quality (or lack thereof..). So, I guess AMG-Line + Airmatic will be my back-up plan if the test-drive his Friday doesn't meet my expectations. Then again, still don't know if the AMG test cars will have Airmatic.

Would be nice to hear from other members who have Airmatic, or Airmatic + sport chassis that could share some thoughts/experience on the subject!

I'll report back on Friday after my test drive!

I know in the UK all AMG cars can have the 15mm lowered sports suspension deleted, so you get an AMG car on SE springs.

Something to consider when testing.

I never hear anything but praise for Airmatic from others though.

glzzE, yes, it seems that we can do that in Norway too.
It's just that I find the looks more pleasing to the eye when the car sits down a little bit more than on standard suspension:) And, if what I've read is relatively true, the upgraded standard suspension on the new C-Class has also gotten a little stiffer, which probably means that the sport suspension might be a little too hard for me, with time, and I don't want that either, haha.

IF my (over-) analyzis proves to be correct, I will go for the Airmatic+AMG-Line package to get the best of both worlds. Of course, I hope that the sport suspension will be refined enough so it won't be necessary! I will only get 1 hour to test drive it tomorrow due to the number of interested customers, so not enough time to try it long-distance, I'm afraid.

Anyway, it's just a matter of personal taste, I guess, or it might just be me who's too picky about my first Merc!;-)

I've already chosen a route (motorway, gravel roads and a more deserted road with lots of bends and hills) for my drive tomorrow, so it should be fun.

Thank you so much for your input, glzzE! I will report back tomorrow afternoon. Cheers.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

C-Class AMG-Line with Steel Springs tested!

First of all, let me inform you that 45 min. felt like 5 min. and that I really would need more time in this car to "feel at home". And, that I am not a professional test driver, just a regular driver...who's very much looking forward to when his 220 BlueTec AMG-Line arrives in May!

The car looks very nice in real life, that's for sure. And, though I've never owned a Merc myself, I've noticed how the Mercs design have evolved and have made up my own mind about which models/facelifts look good, and which that don't work that well. For instance, I loved (and still do) how the last C-Class looks, especially with the sports trim. This one, I think, looks even better!

Well, how was it to drive? Remember, after reading all the new reviews online, with Airmatic/Sport, I was lucky to try the car with Steel/Sport! It was firm, yes, but not too firm at all (each to his own). It felt comfy and light on the motorway, but still quite firm and agile on the smaller, rougher roads outside the city. In short, it felt like something just a little firmer than my 2012 Peugeot 508 (bought brand new), which is a great ride on the motorway/normal driving, though a little soft/leaning/heavy through fast corners, if that sounds familiar to you. The new C was firm, but in a sense that felt natural to the rest of the car.
Now, what I did notice, was that the sport seats left me with an impression of maybe, just maybe, something softer would be preferred on longer trips. I really don't know, after trying them for only 45 min. and I am going to ask for another test drive later on, just to be sure, while I still have time to do changes to my order. I guess the first week, or two, this car will be quite busy (others before me, others waiting for me;-) but maybe I will be able to drive it a little longer next time.

Until today, all the reviews I've read, performed by journalists/professionals, has always compared the gearbox (when using paddle shift) with BMW's gearbox, and seemingly, Merc has slow reacting paddle shifts. Well, I don't think so! Again, I'm just an amateur yet experienced driver, but I found both full auto and paddles to be responsive (enough) when I got on those more deserted, winding roads to see how the down/up shifting performed and the agility. Sport+ was quick, restless, awaiting my next horrors and paired nicely with the engine power, while Comfort was laid-back with pleasingly seamless and timely shifts for normal driving or in the city, and Sport something in between obviously. Eco?...not on my to-do list;-)

The steering did take some time to get used to; much more responsive to even small adjustments than what I'm used to! Felt a little sweet-18 in the beginning, but learnt quickly how to use the more sensitive steering wheel in order to attract as little attention from nervous pedestrians as possible, haha. All in all a drive I can easily get used to in my future 220 BlueTec!

Now, I have some questions for you in this forum:
- if the ride feels comfy for you with steel sport suspension on a 1-hour test drive, have you ever regretted not going Airmatic on a later stage (after some months)?
- though the sport seats are supposed to be a little stiffer/supportive, is this something one gets used to (coming from comfy yet little side-support seats) after the first drives?

The seats in my test car comes to mind, and as I already mentioned, I have never sat in sport seats before, but have always thought that the seats in modern cars could use a little more support. The only other Mercs (C and E) I've driven/passenger had regular seats, SE or Avantgarde probably. If however, sport seats have the tendency to feel too hard after some months, I will switch the sport seat with the Avantgarde-seats instead.

Also, I would love to hear more about peoples experience with Airmatic vs. Steel (on fairly new C-or E-class models)!

Sorry for my lenghty post! Hope it might be a little helpful for others, like me, who is looking into the new C-Class:)
I highly recommend going for a test drive, which hopefully is longer than my own, too quick, first drive.

Sincerely
KJV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom