New - AppleTV, iPhone and Airport Extreme announced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
Must own... :)

That iPhone looks great, all those options, sensors + the full screen web browser etc.

Last edited:
Seen the news flashes but not the prices.

John

iPhone won't be available in the UK till later this year. June in the US for $499 (4GB) and $599 (8GB) with a 2 year contract :eek

They are aiming for 1% market penetration or 10m units in the first 12 months - I think they will do better than that if they can meet demand. This will definitely make my employers (a mobile co beginning with N) sit up and take notice...

smartbrabus said:
iPhone won't be available in the UK till later this year. June in the US for $499 (4GB) and $599 (8GB) with a 2 year contract :eek

They are aiming for 1% market penetration or 10m units in the first 12 months - I think they will do better than that if they can meet demand. This will definitely make my employers (a mobile co beginning with N) sit up and take notice...

Have noticed 18 month contracts are more prevalent in the UK. iPhone looks really cool though, if I can finally do away with mobile & PDA I’ll be happy.

Disappointed they haven’t announced a new iPod though and am I wrong in saying that the iPhone doesn’t have removable battery or expandable memory? Also the iPhone will be priceeee in the UK.

Mike

Disappointed that there's no new iPod - any particular reason?

too expensive and by the looks of things , not even 3G. Says about being EDGE.

sorry - I dont understand what the apple TV does - that cant be done with existing technology.

OK - so I download a film from iTunes, then, play it on my PC (with a TV out video card in it) with a nice long lead out to my TV. A cheap-as-chips IR dongle, and a universal remote, hey presto, video on my TV.

OK - so I dont want the wires, I plug it into a TV transmitter doofer (OK, lower quality here).

OK - burn to a DVD?

I see that it might be nice as a plug-n-play solution - but for 300 quid (which is what it will be) it seems a bit limited. IF it connected to iTunes by itself, and was a standalone machine; then I might be interested.....

guydewdney said:
sorry - I dont understand what the apple TV does - that cant be done with existing technology.

OK - so I download a film from iTunes, then, play it on my PC (with a TV out video card in it) with a nice long lead out to my TV. A cheap-as-chips IR dongle, and a universal remote, hey presto, video on my TV.

OK - so I dont want the wires, I plug it into a TV transmitter doofer (OK, lower quality here).

OK - burn to a DVD?

I see that it might be nice as a plug-n-play solution - but for 300 quid (which is what it will be) it seems a bit limited. IF it connected to iTunes by itself, and was a standalone machine; then I might be interested.....

Its £199 - slightly more tempting... I watch a lot of downloaded high definition US TV shows as I'm sure many others do here ;) which normally means plugging my laptop into an LCD telly / AV Amp with cumbersome DVI and audio cables. Apparently the appletv box will sync whatever music/videos you want wirelessly with iTunes and store them on its internal HD. Admittedly if you already have something like a Mac Mini already neatly attached to a large screen TV its probably a bit pointless...

Nothing whatsoever there that floats my boat either, no new technology to impress me and and frankly what they have is rather overpriced.

Sp!ke said:
and frankly what they have is rather overpriced.

?????

For 200 quid you get a high quality interface for your TV and Hifi that will stream / locally cache the contents of your machine which is somewhere else in the house. It's got a UI designed by the best in the business, which is a joy to use. Component/HDMI connectivity, optical audio, 802.11n wireless, etc.....

That's a bargain in my book! Hardly overpriced when you consider that the aTV is essentially a MacMini in disguise running OSX's Frontrow.

fuzzer said:
too expensive and by the looks of things , not even 3G. Says about being EDGE.

Steve actually mentioned on stage that they will be developing 3G.

scotth_uk said:
?????

For 200 quid you get a high quality interface for your TV and Hifi that will stream / locally cache the contents of your machine which is somewhere else in the house. It's got a UI designed by the best in the business, which is a joy to use. Component/HDMI connectivity, optical audio, 802.11n wireless, etc.....

Yeah but I do that with cables for peanuts. I have better quality, with no interferance, less loss and have no privacy concerns to boot. There are also others like logitech and Linksys etc that have been doing this for a while for considerably less money. An Xbox will also allow you to do this or for £200 you can probably build an entire media pc.

Me thinks the Apple marketing hype is working rather well.

Last edited:
smartbrabus said:
Its £199 - slightly more tempting... I watch a lot of downloaded high definition US TV shows as I'm sure many others do here ;) which normally means plugging my laptop into an LCD telly / AV Amp with cumbersome DVI and audio cables. Apparently the appletv box will sync whatever music/videos you want wirelessly with iTunes and store them on its internal HD. Admittedly if you already have something like a Mac Mini already neatly attached to a large screen TV its probably a bit pointless...
So it seems like I spend a lot of money and time setting up a complex system that only one person in the house with the know-all to make it work, so that we can watch all the programs we never want to see rather than being a couch potato with a remote and a plug in the wall?

BonzoDog said:
So it seems like I spend a lot of money and time setting up a complex system that only one person in the house with the know-all to make it work, so that we can watch all the programs we never want to see rather than being a couch potato with a remote and a plug in the wall?

It wouldn't be so bad if Apple didn't have a "unique" way of converting dollars to pounds:

Mac Book Pro 17" UK - £1900 / USA - £1440
80Gb iPod UK - £259 / USA - £180

This isn't a particular gripe about UK/US pricing it is just that the price points in question seem to cross the line between expensive and luxury. Still, off to the States next year and seeing as they haven't announced a new iPod yet.........

Mike

Sp!ke said:
Yeah but I do that with cables for peanuts. I have better quality, with no interferance, less loss and have no privacy concerns to boot. There are also others like logitech and Linksys etc that have been doing this for a while for considerably less money. An Xbox will also allow you to do this or for £200 you can probably build an entire media pc.

Me thinks the Apple marketing hype is working rather well.

But I don't want cables! And I don't want a media pc! Precisely the things I am trying to avoid.

The Xbox 1 solution is homebrew (I think?), not out of the box. The Xbox 360 solution is awful, flawed and tied to a windows MCE box (I had one, and ditched it).

Happy with wireless security at my house too - not aware of too many holes in WPA or WPA2. The main mac is firewalled to the eyeballs, and far less risky than a windows box.

Some of the other devices from 3rd parties show promise, but none are as small, integrated or polished as the aTV is claiming. [The Linksys WMA11B is unspectacular and has no drive or fast wireless. The D-Link 520 is much better, but still no drive or fast wireless.] Having said that - the codec support on the aTV is CRAP and needs to be sorted.

Time will tell. On the flip side, plenty happening over at CES, where I saw the show described by someone as "My media product + Vista = awesome!".

The only thing you could tempt me with is the new Shuttle XPC Mini X200 machine, but in real terms that is not a cheap option in anyone's world.

;-)

Last edited:
MikeL said:
Mac Book Pro 17" UK - £1900 / USA - £1440
80Gb iPod UK - £259 / USA - £180

??? Let's look at the MBP in a slightly different light.....

According to today's rates: 2,799.00 USD = 1,445.67 GBP
Add a state sales tax, for example NY of 8.375% = 1566.74 GBP
The consider adding VAT here @ 17.5% = 1840.91 GBP.

Now looks a little closer to the 1900 you mentioned above, doesn't it.

Last edited:
scotth_uk said:
???

According to today's rates: 2,799.00 USD = 1,445.67 GBP
Add a state sales tax, for example NY of 8.375% = 1566.74 GBP
The consider adding VAT here @ 17.5% = 1840.91 GBP.

Now looks a little closer to the 1900 you mentioned above, doesn't it. You can't easily buy the device in the US without a state sales tax!

That is why I said it wasn't a gripe about price differentials - I was pointing out the respective price points would give you pause before purchasing.

Mind you your equation has added VAT to an item that has already had sales tax added, shouldn't VAT be added to the pre-tax price?

Mike

MikeL said:
Mind you your equation has added VAT to an item that has already had sales tax added, shouldn't VAT be added to the pre-tax price?

You are of course 100 percent correct. What I was trying (poorly!) to imply is that you cannot actually buy the product in America for the ex tax price easily, so was adding it on to make the simple comparison fair.

Apologies if it came across the wrong way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom