New Audi Q7 - Any experiences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spin_bowler

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLC, Tesla MY
I need to replace the 212 with a seven seater and one of these is top of my list at the moment because as much as I want to I can't fall in love with the GL (if that what it's still called :dk:)

I've had very little luck managing to get a test drive thus far; a combination of working away, precious little time other than weekends and the seemingly, complete reluctance of an Audi dealer to get off there shiny-suit clad backsides and return calls, respond to enquiries etc have all conspired to mean a tootle round the block in one has been out of reach.

I've done a CarWow and there are plenty of dealers who want to sell one at up to 11% off list and the broker who sorted my current car out reckons he can get a good lease deal but I obviously want to have a play with one first. In the meantime I thought a couple of opinions from the panel might quench my thirst for knowledge.

Anyone got one or had a go in it?

Eat front tires at an alarming rate. Too big. Slow.

I had an SQ5 though and that was great.

Honestly I think the best option in this segment is a Full Fat RR or a discovery.

If you must a Deutschemarque then the GL420cdi is the one to go for really.

My local dealer let me take one away for the day just last November. It's a nice thing but I decided it's just too big for my needs. The virtual dash is good and it had plenty of other toys. Good lease deals on the 218 at the moment. New Discovery comes with 7 seats, might also be worth a try.

Eat front tires at an alarming rate. Too big. Slow.

I had an SQ5 though and that was great.

Honestly I think the best option in this segment is a Full Fat RR or a discovery.

If you must a Deutschemarque then the GL420cdi is the one to go for really.

Thanks.

Slow? 0-62 in 6.5s and 145 top speed seems quick enough to keep up with the traffic. This is to commute to work, family holidays and take my kids to all their various extra-curricular activities rather than impress teenagers in McDonalds car park on a Friday night.

Q5 too small.

Thanks for the info on the front tyres, how do you come to know this and is it the latest model you're talking about?

I'll be interested in finding out more too. I received an email with a great lease deal on a 3.0 TDi Q7 (new shape), it was sub-£500 per month including VAT IIRC.

Thanks.

Slow? 0-62 in 6.5s and 145 top speed seems quick enough to keep up with the traffic. This is to commute to work, family holidays and take my kids to all their various extra-curricular activities rather than impress teenagers in McDonalds car park on a Friday night.

Q5 too small.

Thanks for the info on the front tyres, how do you come to know this and is it the latest model you're talking about?

Yes my neighbour has one. He's done two fronts already at 4K miles. He has 21" wheels I believe so not cheap!

I suppose for a big bus it's not terrible performance. That aside I'd still be in a Range Rover showroom I think.Q7's seem to depreciate badly too

The 4.2 tdi I had in my Q7 was brilliant, the rest of it a bit meh; once you're sat in the drivers seat it feels a lot smaller than it looks, the boot is tiny (even smaller than the X5). Does lots of things good but nothing really outstanding.

Unless you buy the V12 TDI then you would become a god of torque.

The 4.2 tdi I had in my Q7 was brilliant, the rest of it a bit meh; once you're sat in the drivers seat it feels a lot smaller than it looks, the boot is tiny (even smaller than the X5). Does lots of things good but nothing really outstanding.

I'd be more inclined for a Touareg at the minute on lease they are super cheap!

£344 + VAT

I need to replace the 212 with a seven seater and one of these is top of my list at the moment because as much as I want to I can't fall in love with the GL (if that what it's still called :dk:)

If the GL is no good, I'd be looking at a Discovery, the sixth and seventh seat are proper adult sized.

If the GL is no good, I'd be looking at a Discovery, the sixth and seventh seat are proper adult sized.

Yeah, I like the look of the Disco, I get driven round in one when I'm working abroad, it's a properly decent place to be and, to your point, the third row is reasonable but I only need them for occasional seats for little people so not the main consideration but I can't get away with five.

I worry that performance and driving wise the Disco is a tad agricultural and is a bit long in the tooth these days. Before anyone says it I loathe the Disco Sport... ...hideous thing.

Last edited:

Now that's the one to have! :cool:

Irony is that a guy I know sold his MB 450CDi to buy the Q7 V12 and absolutely hated it in anything but bone dry straight lines.

Regarding the newer Q7 - it is actually a nice place to be and picks up very smoothly. It disguises its size a lot better than a GL. Friend recently changed his Q7 for newer model (replaced like with like) and reckons it is a nicer place to be and a better car. It is true that they like to munch through tyres.

Director at work got rid of his A7 as quick as his lease allowed as it was a reverse tardis (boot and back sears) yet huge to manoeuvre and park

Strangely he's opted for that new, huge, Volvo. Don't know the model of it or if it has 7 seats, but its reviewed well.......

Director at work got rid of his A7 as quick as his lease allowed as it was a reverse tardis (boot and back sears) yet huge to manoeuvre and park

Strangely he's opted for that new, huge, Volvo. Don't know the model of it or if it has 7 seats, but its reviewed well.......

Presumably XC90. I've not ruled one out completely but, like the GL, I can't get even slightly excited about it.

I think the new XC90 is a handsome thing. Only 2.0 litre capacity though IIRC, which is probably fine, but I'd want a bit more.

The person who said "full fat" Range Rover (hate that reference) might not realise you may want seven seats. Would need to be the Range Rover Sport.

Too late for a Defender now, but GLS is not that bad surely?

Could wait for the new Skoda??

The person who said "full fat" Range Rover (hate that reference) might not realise you may want seven seats. Would need to be the Range Rover Sport.

Too late for a Defender now, but GLS is not that bad surely?

Could wait for the new Skoda??

I didn't realise you could spec 7 seats in the RRS. That puts one of them back in contention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom