New Battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manic

Car
CLS Grand Edition
Afternoon all

A quick thanks to those of you who’ve recommended checking MB main dealers for prices. Needed a new battery, my S211 has really been struggling to start in this cold weather. MB came in a £145 for a new MB badged Varta battery with 3 year warranty - best price I could find.

The only negative, having seen the size of the battery and had recent back surgery I asked for a price for one of their guys to fit it. It took 15 mins and taking all my details before I got a quote - £96.50. To undo 2 10mm bolts and swap one battery for another!

So score one to MB for the parts price but forget the service charge!

What a shame a family member or neighbour couldn't have taken the old battery out and put the new one in for you.
£96 to do that is an insult. Even Halfords only charge around £10 to fit their own battery.:wallbash:

What a shame a family member or neighbour couldn't have taken the old battery out and put the new one in for you.
£96 to do that is an insult. Even Halfords only charge around £10 to fit their own battery.:wallbash:

Thanks AMGeed. I did it myself in the end. I’ll probably be suffering for a couple of days now but not as much as I’d have suffered if I’d let them take the mickey like that. Hey ho, live and learn but the key message is that the parts dept were on the ball and cheaper than anywhere else I could find it locally.

That is nuts £241.00 for a battery. I paid £99.95 for a 100 amp hour Exide fitted with three years warranty and coffee biscuits. The £96.50 to fit it would have seen me off down the road, as for the Merc badged Varta thing, it would make no odds if it was badged as Mickey chuffin Mouse to me.

^ I suspect, for £145 that could have been an AGM battery which is considerably more expensive than the normal lead acid type.
I agree about the badging on the battery, but Varta (along with Exide) are a well known good brand so you know the MB one is of good quality.

I still fail to see how changing a battery can bring a quote of £96.50. That is extortion at the highest level and I'd have told them that too.

Afternoon all

A quick thanks to those of you who’ve recommended checking MB main dealers for prices. Needed a new battery, my S211 has really been struggling to start in this cold weather. MB came in a £145 for a new MB badged Varta battery with 3 year warranty - best price I could find.

The only negative, having seen the size of the battery and had recent back surgery I asked for a price for one of their guys to fit it. It took 15 mins and taking all my details before I got a quote - £96.50. To undo 2 10mm bolts and swap one battery for another!

So score one to MB for the parts price but forget the service charge!

I bought a battery ( Varta OE ) for my E320cdi last year from the local MB dealer £ 140 fitted ! Included a wash as well
Think yours is taking the p*ss

Taking the p*ss might be the most lenient interpretation. What I think the dealers quote of £96.50 to fit a battery really tells you is they are so hamstrung by bureaucratic procedures that they don't have an ounce of common sense. A real person on the same planet as the rest of us would sense instantly that it was a stupid price to fit a battery and engage their brain. As it is you can't trust them with anything.

Just to add battery prices have considerably increased since last year, They may have well needed to re sync the windows and seats if applicable,

As also said AGM batteries are alot more expensive than lead acid and the 211's are fussy. Having said that £241 is alittle steep imho.

We also buy Exide and Varta

Just to add battery prices have considerably increased since last year, They may have well needed to re sync the windows and seats if applicable,

As also said AGM batteries are alot more expensive than lead acid and the 211's are fussy. Having said that £241 is alittle steep imho.

We also buy Exide and Varta

Just to confirm mine was an AGM battery so I was very happy with the deal

Just to confirm it is an AGM battery so I was happy with the price.

£96 to fit a battery !!!!!, perhaps i should start my own business, could do 10 a day, earning nearly £1000.

The dealer that quoted that for changing a battery should be ashamed.

Did you buy the battery from the dealer that quoted the fitting price?

Yes I bought the battery - it was the cheapest I could find so no point in cutting of my nose ...

The parts guys were keen to make me aware that they’re dept was run separately to the service dept. I know it’s all under one roof but I’m still happy to do a deal. Under normal circumstances I wouldn’t have even asked about fitting.

I’m glad I wasn’t alone in thinking it was ridiculous. Was tempted to write to the dealer principal about it but can’t see any point. I’ve vented here and you guys have been kind enough to agree. The key message though remains the same, it’s worth checking them out for parts prices, I was surprised they came out cheapest in this instance and would never have checked if it hadn’t been for comments on here.

i paid £149 for a varta g14 agm , tbh id be complaining about that fitting price , i think they've applied vaseline to your nether regions .

There is another little rip off by some shops, you pay a full price, and then told there is a £5 charge until old battery bought back. What they do not tell you is that they then sell the battery on for scrap, they must get more than £5.
What I do is buy off eBay, and then either dispose of old battery myself, or better still my wife uses it for electric fencing to keep livestock where they should be.

Well every MB owner that has that small starting battery,will come across this problem,Varta is the main maker of these batteries,if you look up on any of the on line battery sellers sites you will find they will not quote for the engine compartment one but are happy to sell you the big battery in the boot,many will go the route of buying from MB at £145 but you can buy a top quality battery of the same power and agm for around £80 you will find the height size correct the width size is right too but the length is slightly longer,this would mean looking at the clamp and possibly altering the slot where the bolt goes through to keep the battery in place.

Just paid £230 for a MB dealer supplied battery for my S212, don't know if it was a bad price or not but needed it straightaway

The original MB battery in mine is a Varta F18 85Ah silver. I can get that for £82 delivered. I would be surprised and impressed if MB could do it for less.

£80 for an agm stop start ? please share .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom