New boots for my SLK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
The time has come, I guess, for a new set of tyres for my SLK 280 R171 '55 model year. Theres plenty of tread left but I have noticed some very minor cracking on the sidewalls-would this be an issue for the MOT or further use do you think?

Anyways, she sits presently on 225/45 R17 91Y at the front and 245/40 R17 91Y at the rear all of which are Michelin Pilot Sport original models, (I think?, no mention of Sport 2 or 3 on the walls:dk:).

I cant say that I have noticed anything particularly ovewhelming about the Michelins and I wondered if it was worth replacing with the same or a "lesser" manufacturer. I'm no speed merchant but I do like to have fun when the situation permits, other than that I use the car for warm, dry, sunny days out in the Yorkshire dales and only occasionally running in the wet, (but NEVER in snow!), so do I really need a high speed rating or the most expensive rubber that you can buy. I also read somewhere that insurance companies dont allow you to drop speed ratings on your tyres, is this true?

Any help or sugestions would be very welcome.

Regards,
Portzy.

I've recently fitted KUMHO KU31 to the rear of my S500 and been pleasantly surprised by them.

So much so that there is a pair arriving this week to go on the front.

I noticed cracking on the inner sidewall of one of the existing fronts and I believe that is an MOT fail if noticed (and it should be noticed !)

I am also led to believe that the speed rating of the tyre should be appropriate for the vehicle's performance not the style of driving you undertake or just to comply with the speed limits.

I've got Continental Sport contact 3 (what a grand name) on my SLK. Same sizes as yours. They were OEM, and I've stuck with them, they do the job admirably.

I need a new pair of fronts (225/45 17s). £93.00 each from my local tyre place.

I've got Continental Sport contact 3 (what a grand name) on my SLK.

Same here. (They're actually Continental ContiSportContact 3 :D).

My SLK originally came with Pirelli P-Zeros (although the OEM fitment changes over time), but the Contis were fitted by my MB dealership as replacements. I've just replaced my rears - for reasons explained here - with more of the same.

I am also led to believe that the speed rating of the tyre should be appropriate for the vehicle's performance not the style of driving you undertake or just to comply with the speed limits.

I just checked my handbook:rolleyes: Perhaps I should have added this piece of info.....

My car came with 16" matching alloys with W rated tyres as original equipment and it was me who replaced them with 17" MB Alshain aftermarkets and the higher Y rated tyres which just came fitted without me asking so, according to the handbook, I'm guessing that I can run on W rated tyres without causing any upset?

I'm drawn, at the moment, to the Kumos but can only find KU31's in 245 and KH31's for the 225, would that be a problem?

Cheers,
Portzy.

I had Continental Sport Contact 3 18s on my E350 which were alright, very twitchy in the wet, not too confidence inspiring in the dry, had 19s fitted and went for Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas and the difference is day and night better, smoother, quieter ride as well.

I just checked my handbook:rolleyes: Perhaps I should have added this piece of info.....

My car came with 16" matching alloys with W rated tyres as original equipment and it was me who replaced them with 17" MB Alshain aftermarkets and the higher Y rated tyres which just came fitted without me asking so, according to the handbook, I'm guessing that I can run on W rated tyres without causing any upset?

I'm drawn, at the moment, to the Kumos but can only find KU31's in 245 and KH31's for the 225, would that be a problem?

Cheers,
Portzy.

mytyres.co.uk have both sizes you need of the KU31 :thumb:

Very unusual to see Michelin cracking. Imo you won't get better rubber.
Nor anything that sticks to the road better in all conditions than Pilot Sport.
Not twitchy in the wet. Like a cat on rails.

The MoT gets very interested in cuts in the sidewalls.

How old are the tyres and how many miles have they done?

Are the wear indicators showing?
6mm of tread all the way across and all round? - this is more than minimum but sensible.

They sound old. If Michelin are cracking then other makes would have gone home much earlier. Tyre dressing?

Very unusual to see Michelin cracking. Imo you won't get better rubber.
Nor anything that sticks to the road better in all conditions than Pilot Sport.
Not twitchy in the wet. Like a cat on rails.

The MoT gets very interested in cuts in the sidewalls.

How old are the tyres and how many miles have they done?

Are the wear indicators showing?
6mm of tread all the way across and all round? - this is more than minimum but sensible.

They sound old. If Michelin are cracking then other makes would have gone home much earlier. Tyre dressing?

Yup, this is where I cannot complain really, the car itself is just short of six years old, the front set is probably about five and a half years old and the rears about six and a half, no tread wear indicators showing because the mileage has yet to reach 10k, (less than 2k per year!),. Yes, I'm guilty of dressing the tyres probably a bit more so than I should have done but I avoided the silicone based stuff and used a gel compound, I forget the make, I think it was branded "Williams F1".

Cheers,
Portzy.

We have just changed ours on the SLK. We stayed with continental. They were not worn out but the sidewalls were beginning to deteriorate at 6 years old. Have michelin on the CLK but dont notice any difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom