New C-Class W205 Has a Longer Wheelbase Than The E-Class W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
New C-Class W205 Has a Longer Wheelbase Than The E-Class W210

new-c-class-w205-has-a-longer-wheelbase-than-e-class-w210-medium_1.jpg

Over the years and four generations - if we're also including the 190E (W201) - the Mercedes-Benz C-Class has remained rather faithful to a much smaller size than its big brothers, with each new generation taking only baby steps in terms of overall dimensions.

The recently-launched C-Class W205 is the first in its lineage to forget baby steps and make a radical jump as far as size is concerned.

With an entirely new approach in terms of design and technology features, the new C-Class has grown so much in every direction that its wheelbase, width and height are actually surpassing those of the E-Class W210 from 1995.

In fact, the only areas where the old E-Class is better than its modern small brother are the elbow room in the rear and its overall length, neither of which being of extreme importance for a modern C-Class owner.

With an aluminium content of no less than 48 percent and up to 100 kg (220 pounds) lighter than its predecessor, the Mercedes-Benz C-Class W205 is also lightest model in its segment, not to mention the most aerodynamically-efficient one as well.

Mainly thanks to these two well-thought out features, the new model has cut fuel consumption by up to 20 percent compared to its predecessor, meaning that it also bests the old E-Class W210 by quite a large margin while being much faster.

If fitted with the Airmatic suspension, the levels of comfort and agility are unprecedented in any old C-Class or E-Class model, making the new W205 an actual revolution form a number of points of view.

The new C Class also has shorter front and rear overhangs which I believe is of benefit to handling; a wheel at each corner like the original Mini is best. Probably also good for comfort. I'm really looking forward to test driving the W205 here in the UK sometime in the next month or two.

My W212 is only 6 inches less in lenght than my dads W126. It is 1 inch wider

Same with every car manufacturer, its simple if you make a product to replace an existing product it needs to be more, more = bigger.

Mr & Mrs retired couple want a new Fiesta, "its the same size as the old one, why bother?" Where as a bigger replacement is Considered progress or an advancement.

A current model Fiesta is barely shorter than a W202

Same with every car manufacturer, its simple if you make a product to replace an existing product it needs to be more, more = bigger.

Mr & Mrs retired couple want a new Fiesta, "its the same size as the old one, why bother?" Where as a bigger replacement is Considered progress or an advancement.

A current model Fiesta is barely shorter than a W202

The w202 is 55cm longer...which is quite a bit longer.

Wonder how the W205 load area in the estate compares to the S210?

I see it's "much faster" than the W210, too. Depends which W205 and which W210...

E55BOF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom