New car today from dealer and a scratch on the bonnet!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BarryWhitt

Car
C-Class 200 Sport Premium
On collection of our new car today we were informed there was a scratch on the bonnet, (about one inch long) they have said they will try and sort it out next week and if they can't they will respray the whole bonnet.

My only concern is that in a few years time will the wings match the bonnet as it's not a factory finish. The car i5 metallic black the photo is not showing the correct colour because of the skies reflection but you can see the scratch clearly enough.

Your views please as to what you would say is satisfactory.

Thanks.

scratch_zpsvpqwxgav.jpg

I wouldn't be happy if it was me, personally I would have rejected the car until it was sorted however I know this is not ideal. This sort of thing should have been picked up when it went through its PDI and you should have been informed before you went to collect it. I'd say let them do it and if you're not happy send it back until it is satisfactory.

Liam

If you rejected it, you'd only get it back once they've sorted it.... You ain't gonna get another new car.
You might as well use it until it's fixed.

If they'd repaired it without you knowing(beforehand) you'd be none the wiser.... That happens a lot.

It'll have the manufacture paint warranty anyway so the colour match in the future shouldn't be an issue.

It's a bummer but take a breath and be realistic.

I wouldn't be happy if it was me, personally I would have rejected the car until it was sorted however I know this is not ideal. This sort of thing should have been picked up when it went through its PDI and you should have been informed before you went to collect it. I'd say let them do it and if you're not happy send it back until it is satisfactory.

Liam

It only arrived last night on the transporter and the PDI was done this morning and only just finished as we were there with the salesman, that's when he was informed about the scratch. So we took it and will see what happens next week.

I said whatever happens I want a courtesy car while it's with them, leading up to today they had lent me a 66 reg C220d since 21st Feb, so they are pretty decent people.

If you rejected it, you'd only get it back once they've sorted it.... You ain't gonna get another new car.
You might as well use it until it's fixed.

If they'd repaired it without you knowing(beforehand) you'd be none the wiser.... That happens a lot.

It'll have the manufacture paint warranty anyway so the colour match in the future shouldn't be an issue.

It's a bummer but take a breath and be realistic.
That is what I meant, they keep it until it is fixed to a satisfactory standard. I know it is more of a hassle i.e. if you're Part Exchanging your old car you'd have to sort out insurance etc. Personally I don't think it is acceptable for a dealer to hand over a car in that state and it certainly puts a dent (no pun intended) on the car collection experience. It should have been picked up when inspected and the customer notified straightaway.

As said above your paint warranty should cover it.

It only arrived last night on the transporter and the PDI was done this morning and only just finished as we were there with the salesman, that's when he was informed about the scratch. So we took it and will see what happens next week.

I said whatever happens I want a courtesy car while it's with them, leading up to today they had lent me a 66 reg C220d since 21st Feb, so they are pretty decent people.
That explains the reason why you weren't contacted sooner. I assume with the new Reg coming out they've been swamped with cars. Hopefully you'll get this resolved quickly.

Liam

It only arrived last night on the transporter and the PDI was done this morning and only just finished as we were there with the salesman, that's when he was informed about the scratch.

It should have been picked up when inspected and the customer notified straightaway.

It was and he was!

You can't knock them for spotting it and actually telling you rather than letting you find out yourself or trying to get rid of it as best they could.

It's annoying but sh*t happens. It's how they resolve it for you that will make them stand out - for better or for worse!

Rejecting the car sounds ridiculous over minor damage. Life's too short.

Paint damage on new cars is extraordinarily common.

Let them repair it, and enjoy your new car :thumb:

If it were mine, I'd want the whole panel sprayed. A bodyshop close to me once told me that smart repairs almost always deteriorate within a year or two and then become glaringly obvious.

Paint damage on new cars is extraordinarily common.

Let them repair it, and enjoy your new car :thumb:

This. The entire dent master/chips away business was started by the car showroom demand for dings to be quickly 'repaired'. It is on an industrial scale and most will never know, their pride and joy has already undergone some form of repair. It varies from 'minor' dings and chips, to large scale damage.

GOOD NEWS :D
I took the car to Petrolhead detailing on the understanding that I will be getting a ceramic coating once the car is sorted.

The guy there had a look at the bonnet and the wheels and polished the deposit on the bonnet out and the light scratch marks where MB had attempted to remove it. He also said that MB put stupid stickers on the wheels for some unknown reason and yes they look and feel like it's under the varnish but it wasn't so he removed those marks as well...ALL FOR FREE :D

I went back to MB dealership and said that I want to have him do a £300.00 new car preparation and for them to pay for it, they agreed straight away and I said I would top that £300.00 up to go for an even better ceramic 5 year warranty job.

So I'm getting a top job worth £600.00 for £300.00

All's come good in the end.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice.

IMG_20170304_162354703_HDR%20Small_zps1xobkvv5.jpg

Great result. As they're so close to me I may go and see about getting my car done (though I'd have to pay the full price). Sounds like you would recommend them.

Great result. As they're so close to me I may go and see about getting my car done (though I'd have to pay the full price). Sounds like you would recommend them.

Yes Chris is a really nice guy, pop along and he will show you what it's all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom