New Cl500 owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexG

Hi there,

Just purchased a CL500 and enjoying the wafting around it induces. This is car number 4 to my small fleet of RX7 twin turbo, Mitsubishi FTO GP and Mk4 Golf TDi 130 daily (duties soon to be taken over by the CL500).

Bought the car knowing the aircon was not working. The clutch wasn't kicking in so most likely pressure too low to engage the pump.

Really enjoyed the drive home in it. I felt very serene and relaxed. Stopped off on the M6 toll services to survey the expanse of metal.

20170708_161424.jpg

20170708_161435.jpg

Had a E39 528i Sport in the past and the CL just does elegance so much better.

Went to get the aircon looked at/re-charged by my local garage and as expected it has a leak. It is 17 years old so no surprise really, small pin hole at the front leaking dye, nice easy root cause....awesome. New condenser required.

Whilst the garage were attempting to re-set the aircon system with the OBD they found that the OBD doesn't have a 12v feed. No problem, they hooked up their old school scanner with it's own 12v and did the business. I'll have to look into why this doesn't get a feed at a later point.

2017-07-10_11.06.21.jpg

I was expecting a bazillion fault codes and impending Armageddon to be predicted but nothing disastrous came up really. Apparently the drivers seat had 34 fault codes associated with it!! All nag codes cleared and we'll see where we're at later on.

Sooooo, not going too badly.....except......bang.....splosh.....oh 8ugger! The ABC dampener sphere let go at the front of the engine bay and liberally coated that side of the underbonnet in power steering/suspension fluid. It now sits like it's bagged, all mean and moody.

Right....re-group and get onto Dronsfields for some credit card therapy. I left it with my mechanic last night with a replacement ABC pump in hand, 12 litres of CHF-11s and new filter coming from Mercedes and a new aircon rad on its way.

I knew things like this would crop up but that was a bit earlier than expected.

Need to get the wheels refurbed once the dust has settled on the ABC system and a couple more little jobs but hopefully the main pain of the ABC is over.

Cheers

Alex

Last edited:
Hi, not the best of starts, but as you say it is seventeen years old, best of luck with it.

Beautiful cars, scary complexity!

Enjoy.

Appreciate these can be a pain to put right... But what a car when they are rolling properly! Congratulations on the purchase! :cool:

An RX-7 twin turbo 'and' a luxury Mercedes.....:thumb:

Congats on the new purchase. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom