New E-Class Coupe - Wheels decision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommo123

Car
Audi A5
Hi all,

I am about to purchase my first ever Mercedes having previously been driving BMW or Audi.

I've decided to go for a new E-Class coupe and am considering upgrading to the 20" alloy wheels.

I've heard that the ride can be a little firmer but is there anything else I should be aware of?

What are people's views on the look also?

Many thanks in advance.

If you go for the upgrade to 20" ask if they can upgrade your seat with 2 soft fluffy cushions, you will definitely need them

Spec air suspension and you won't care what wheel size you have.

Unfortunately, it's a company car and the AirMATIC suspension costs £1250 and takes me over my budget. It'd therefore not an option I'm afraid.

Do the slightly larger wheels really affect the ride a massive amount?

The difference between 17 and 20 is very noticable, 19 to 20 minimally so. Main problem you'll get with the 20 is going to be durability of the wheel/tyre combination on our roads. My main car always has smaller wheels - I learnt that lesson with 18s on my W211 E class!

timskemp said:
The difference between 17 and 20 is very noticable, 19 to 20 minimally so. Main problem you'll get with the 20 is going to be durability of the wheel/tyre combination on our roads. My main car always has smaller wheels - I learnt that lesson with 18s on my W211 E class!

Butttt it's going to be a company car, so will always be warranted. 20's it is.

I deliberately went for the smaller wheels on mine (but previous model) purely because of the sad state of our roads.

In my opinion the standard 19"s on the new E class coupe look slightly on the small side compared to its body size. Definitely 20" for me. As for the ride quality the difference is small. The ride on the 19"S is super comfortable so going 20" you'll be fine.

Thanks all, that's reassuring. 20"s it is! :thumb:

Tomo 123. Having a nightmare with my GLA45 AMG as only one tyre (continental) is available for my 20 inch and it is a summer use with a recommendation to change when the temperature drops below 7 degrees Celsius. You cannot get any other tyre (235/40R20) in the UK other than the Continental Summer Use tyre. So they have the monopoly.

I didn't think to check when I bought the car (ex demo) and am now having a battle with MB.

Advice: if you buy 20inch wheels and you are using the car during winter make sure it is fitted with all season tyres.

Drove past one of these last night on the motorway .... they look extremely like my c class outside :)

The ride is fine with the 20's imo, we have a demonstrator at the moment with a them. They look much better than the 19's, with or without the night pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom