New E Class estate discounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterg1965

MB Enthusiast
Car
2019 Audi Q7, 2018 Mini Cooper S, 2016 Porsche 718 Boxster S
Hi all,

Long time since I popped in here! Trust all the regulars are well.

I need to replace the family wagon, currently a Volvo V70 and the new E Class is in the frame, specifically the E220 CDI SE Auto in a metallic colour. It looks great and the spec is also top line. The finance deals are also very attractive and that is the main driver for me, keeping the monthly payments down.

Drivethedeal are offering £6880 off the list price, so that it £3500 or so more than the advertised £3400 manufacturer deposit contribution. I have challenged a local dealer to match the DtD price, but no response so far!

Does anyone have any ideas of which dealers to go to, or have any contacts, to maximise a potential discount?

I haven't driven the E yet, but I doubt I will be disappointed, and in any case it will be my wife's daily driver.

Thanks all.

I've got an E220CDi SE Estate Auto in Iridium Silver. Last of the "old spec" with the separate headlights, on a 13 plate.

Had it 3 months now, 10,000 miles down....... love it. Wonderful car.

I've got an E220CDi SE Estate Auto in Iridium Silver. Last of the "old spec" with the separate headlights, on a 13 plate.

Had it 3 months now, 10,000 miles down....... love it. Wonderful car.

Good to hear, did you get a decent deal? It comes down to the figures for me, but it ticks all the boxes.

How are you getting on with your 640?

640d is a lovely car, great GT cruiser, very refined, economical and with loads of power when needed. It's not getting much use now though as I commute weekly by train, it's only got 7000 miles on it. It's on a personal lease and it goes back early next year so am not planning to replace it.

How are you getting on with yours?

Last edited:
How are you getting on with yours?

Engine and transmission are excellent. Smooth performance is something I just take for granted now. Steering is not so good feel wise but you get used to it. Refinement not bad on the move but a few tractor genes show through. Ride really should be better at lower speeds on standard suspension. Lovely interior - it's a great place to be. Looks good on the outside.

I have the four door version and it's a good cross country express and motorway cruiser with four people. Even though the space is a bit tighter than a saloon passengers seem to like it a lot. Older passengers find it a bit lower and I now warn those entering the rear to watch the way the roofline comes down at the back of the door aperture because I've had a couple bump their heads.

IMO it's overpriced on paper but the lease deals that come around from time to time do make it a very decent proposition when they're available.

I really wish that the CLS350 was a bit more like the 6er. My impression from a short acquaintance with the CLS350 was that it was almost as good (bit slower on paper) in terms of drivetrain and a better compromise in terms of ride / firmness - but it just didn't feel as good to be in or to walk up to.

Engine and transmission are excellent. Smooth performance is something I just take for granted now. Steering is not so good feel wise but you get used to it. Refinement not bad on the move but a few tractor genes show through. Ride really should be better at lower speeds on standard suspension. Lovely interior - it's a great place to be. Looks good on the outside.

I have the four door version and it's a good cross country express and motorway cruiser with four people. Even though the space is a bit tighter than a saloon passengers seem to like it a lot. Older passengers find it a bit lower and I now warn those entering the rear to watch the way the roofline comes down at the back of the door aperture because I've had a couple bump their heads.

IMO it's overpriced on paper but the lease deals that come around from time to time do make it a very decent proposition when they're available.

I really wish that the CLS350 was a bit more like the 6er. My impression from a short acquaintance with the CLS350 was that it was almost as good (bit slower on paper) in terms of drivetrain and a better compromise in terms of ride / firmness - but it just didn't feel as good to be in or to walk up to.
I have been considering one of these myself but concerned the ride will be lousy over the potholed B roads round here. Almost all BMW used ones seem to have M Sport suspension and 20" wheels: what have you got?

I have been considering one of these myself but concerned the ride will be lousy over the potholed B roads round here. Almost all BMW used ones seem to have M Sport suspension and 20" wheels: what have you got?

I have standard 18s on mine. Which makes it unique amongst the F06/F12/F13 6ers I've ever encountered on the road or in dealers. I doubt there are any demonstrators in this configuration. The majority of AU cars listed are M-Sport and even the non M-Sport versions often have wheel upgrades.

On the 6GC model M-Sport doesn't give you a different suspension. I would assume that this is also the case with the 2 door versions. It's basically some bits of body trim under the nose, under the rear bumper, it loses the chrome window trim, and gets a seat upgrade and dashboard leather.

I have test driven a M-Sport car on 20s. And it looked better. The double spoke wheels really suit the 6. And it wasn't much worse IMO. My feeling is that the RFTs are a bit of a leveller. The 6 is pretty stiff and lets through a lot of juddery vibration on bad roads. The front seat belts are anchored to the seats. If the passenger seat is empty it sort of accentuates the judder of a road rut and if the belt is unsecured it will rattle. Thing is that if you test drive chances are there will be somebody in the seat - passengers tend to dampen these effects and the car rides a bit better with them.

I don't like my 6 about town. The variable steering means it's very light touch getting about. But every minor road defect announces itself. Ironically the drivetrain works really well in urban driving. If it wasn't for the suspension + RFTs it could be great.

On the open road and motorway it's simply superb. Though watch your licence. It's too easy to put on speed without realising it.

Last edited:
My car is on standard MSport double spoke 19"s. I don't find the ride harsh or compromised on the runflats, in fact in my view its absolutely fine. But then again I am no great connoisseur of car suspension! The rear space in the coupe is quite tight of such a big car, not that I have had many passengers in the back. Economy is incredible for a 3.0 twin turbo, the computer says it has averaged about 43mpg in 7000 miles, it's only £140 a year to tax (although my lease takes care of that) not bad for a 300bhp+ machine. My only gripe is the width of the A pillars, this has caused me to have a minor accident, so I try to be very cautious in town.

Quick pic below.....

So, about the new E220 SE estate???

I saw a facelift E Class estate today, an AMG Sport E220 auto in obsidian black. It looked very striking and was a lovely place to be inside. The boot is huge, not as big as the V70 apparently, which surprises me, but i guess it must be down to the more squared off back end of the V70.

Anyway, it comes down to price for me now, I am happy with a PCP or personal contract hire so long as it is close to £300 per month.

I thought the E Class had the biggest boot of any estate on the UK market. I looked at V70's and the boot seems small in comparison?

I got my stats from the E class brochure and auto trader tech specs for the V70. With the back seats up the V70 is 815 litres and the E Class is 695 litres. With the seats down the V70 is 1600 litres and the E Class 1900 odd - so the E is huge! So the E class is bigger with the rear seats down, but the important one for me is behind the rear seats as that is where my dogs will sit! Nevertheless, its big enough!

Fair enough!!

I have two dogs (border collie and cocker spaniel) they both look totally lost in the boot!!

Volvo list the V70 boot capacity as being 575 litres.

last week I have taken delivery of my new car (GL) that I bought through drivethedeal.
Very professional and best discount by some margin.
Second best was carfile

last week I have taken delivery of my new car (GL) that I bought through drivethedeal.
Second best was carfile

I have seen the Drive the Deal price , it was £6870 off list price so I have challenged two local dealers to match it, no response yet. I will also look at personal contract hire prices. I am amazed that MB set the residual on an E220 CDI AMG Sport Auto, at £20k after 3 years, that is way to high in my view, but great for keeping the monthly payment low.

Are you enjoying the GL? I had a GL320CDi back in 2008, an awesome machine and the newer ones are even better being more economical. May I ask how much you managed off the list price gong through DtD on your GL? It's not yet appearing on their website.

Second best was carfile

Ok, I'm jealous. I just totally love GLs.

Pics and details please :)

Here's ours, brings back pleasant memories..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom