New IPhone 8 anyone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am just checking. I haven't logged into PistonHeads by accident have I?

I typed that earlier while half asleep. People are of course entitled to their opinions. I have mine, others have theirs. I just do not see the point in paying money for a new phone with new features that were new on other phones some time ago.
As I happens I agree with you.

Each to their own and all that.

No need to be rude though.

As I happens I agree with you.

Each to their own and all that.

No need to be rude though.

Where was I being rude? i-conica is the one who is sticking his fingers in his ears as he will not hear anything bad said against the iPhone. I was merely giving me opinion.

To be fair it's your posts which are redolent of piston heads.

I could say the same about the ones of yours that I have seen. TBH I think I am going to bow out of this thread.

Where was I being rude? i-conica is the one who is sticking his fingers in his ears as he will not hear anything bad said against the iPhone. I was merely giving me opinion.

I could say the same about the ones of yours that I have seen. TBH I think I am going to bow out of this thread.

I wouldn't say that I am a good example, if I were you I'd find someone else for that kind of thing.

Oh do you work in IT? You one dem clever peeps den?

I’m a software developer, I don’t understand why people claim they work in IT means they won’t buy an iPhone.

Go to any software conference and it’s an ocean of MacBooks.

IT eh?
Super smashing great. None of the techs at my place have iPhones, none of the Devs have iPhones / Mac's. The only ones who do are management, and even then not all of them do.

And know, I aren't one of them clever people. You really do make yourself out to be a bit of a knob really don't you?

angrydog - i'm in IT therefore I must be said knob

If this was SpitoonHeads the answer to every question would be "Buy a TVR".

"New IPhone?" "NO! Get a TVR."

I'm sure that owners of lesser brand cars than Mercedes have this same range of views about those who spend £££ on Mercedes Benz vehicles !
Top-of-the-range Android phones cost the same as top-of
-the-range Apple iPhones.

Well, the iPhone X might change that... but for now both are on-par costwise.

But I take your point :)

The rude bit was the bit where you said that I make myself out to be a knob.

I won't hear anything bad said? There's lots I don't like, I've said several times throughout this. I'm obviously a fan, and I get great satisfaction from the devices, the operating system and the ecosystem that no other platform can provide for me. I'll argue the virtues of that, but doesn't mean I'm blind to the pitfalls.

It's not all opinion though, some is simply misinformation. As a software/app developer myself (as are others here I'm sure) I'm in a position to put some of that misinformation to bed. Like on the last page where I added some info to the sensationalist headline that iOS 11 kills off apps. I explained a bit about it and gave some steps for people to check if any of their apps will be affected.

Here's an example I saw on how people take a headline and use it to have a bash, when actually they just don't know what they're talking about.
Apple have introduced HEIF and HEVF with iOS 11. It's a modern image/video compression algorithm that gives you better image quality (than jpeg and h.264 respectively), and roughly half the file size. It's also much smarter, as it's a container, so it can hold several images, so serves live photos, gifs, versioning, etc. It supports 16 bit colour for photos, whereas jpeg supports 8 bit colour. New iPhones whose cameras can delivery 10 bit colour can obviously benefit from that.

I read on an article, first comment "WHhy can't Apple leave stuff alone!?!". *facepalm*.
Here's Apple fanboi putting things right.

Apple didn't invent the format. The MPEG group (moving pictures expert group) did, as it's their job. They've been developing it for years and it's finally reached production spec. Jpeg is from 1992, so we're overdue a new format. Apple are simply early adopters of it and so iPhones will benefit from it before a lot of other handsets. Guess what? If you're sending the photos or videos to an Android device, or any other that don't support it yet, it'll be converted on the fly, transparently, and you even have an option to keep taking pics and vids in the old formats if you wish. They've taken a technology, implemented it flawlessly, but Apple really should leave stuff alone... :rolleyes:

Oh do you work in IT? You one dem clever peeps den?

I’m a software developer, I don’t understand why people claim they work in IT means they won’t buy an iPhone. Of our team of devs it’s a 50/50 split right now of iPhones and others. It varies, naturally.

Go to any software dev conferences and it’s an ocean of MacBooks.

Yep you can't get better in terms of MacBook for traveling IMO. MAC OSX is lightweight and pretty bulletproof in my experience never had any malware or tat on it.. unlike windows

Lessons learned?

New things are expensive, and go down in value quite quickly. Second owners profit from this.
Innovators produce interesting new things, but sometimes get it wrong. Early adopters copy and usually iron out early faults.
The biggest producers achieve massive economies of scale. (750 million users is an example of scale)
Products are complex, need to be learnt, and people are loathe to change platform having learned how they work.
Cloud based connections provide fully automated phone backup, reducing risk of loss
The phone element of a smartphone is usually less than 1% of a smartphone's usage.

The phone element of a smartphone is usually less than 1% of a smartphone's usage.

This annoys me a lot though, because the quality of the phone function seems to be going down. I don't want to go down the route of an old Nokia dumb phone as I do like what a smartphone gives me but sometimes the crapness of the phone element on smartphones makes me wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom