New IPhone 8 anyone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll wait to see if and when , my iPhone 6s starts to loose it's charge which is the point I normally change them. I really liked my iPhone 3 and have liked them less with each new model, my iPhone 3 did it's phone duty well and was easy to use. Looking around my gear I have an iMac a mac book pro so have quite a lot of Apple gear and on the whole it all works well and trouble free. I guess we can all spend our hard earned cash as we see fit but I certainly won't be paying out £1000 plus for a new iPhone anyway I'd probably drop it off a building or something silly. I've never understood this feverish rush to buy new Apple products the day they come out which probably indicates I'm not the target sucker sorry consumer.

Well, my (top of the range then) MacBook Pro 17" was less than Dell (forgot the model) it replaced in 2010. It is still excellent (albeit I upgraded capacity and did away with DVD), works perfectly and looks amazing, and the quality of engineering is astounding even today, unlike the piece of cr@p Dell probably scrapped, when I returned it back then. And yes, it was $4,000 and worth every penny of it.

It really is quite boring to read these anti-Apple ... stuff.

Sorry, but I think Apple are expensive. I bought a Lenovo laptop two years ago for about £450 and my other half bought a Mac something-or-other of broadly similar spec at the same time for £1100. I agree that they look great and are well made, but she has had no end of problems with hers (their customer service has been good though, as well they ought to be), while my Lenovo has been faultless. My business also has various Lenovos, and they have been very good.

I do agree about Dell however. Shockingly bad customer service; will never ever sanction any purchase from them again.

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11670.0.jpeg

I'll go straight to Ten, next year when used ones sell for half the price, and all the initial launch bugs have been sorted out.

But then I did pay £600 (sic) in 1981 for this brand new Sony Betamax C7. Why? To be able to record four TV programmes on one tape.

(And that was back in the day when £600 was one month's salary for the average man.)

406-SL-C7-Tmp.jpg

I agree that Apple stuff is expensive but if you take into account their value second hand it doesn't quite seem so expensive. I had a late 2011 MacBook Pro that I sold last year for £450, it cost me just under £1000 when new. I've upgraded a few times and only usually have to put £500-£600 in to get the new model every 5 years.

^^^ Yup, I can sell mine today for about £1,200 and it's seven years old.
You get what you pay for. Personally, I prefer quality.

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_11670.0.jpeg

I'll go straight to Ten, next year when used ones sell for half the price, and all the initial launch bugs have been sorted out.

But then I did pay £600 (sic) in 1981 for this brand new Sony Betamax C7. Why? To be able to record four TV programmes on one tape.

(And that was back in the day when £600 was one month's salary for the average man.)

406-SL-C7-Tmp.jpg
I still have mine stashed away in my loft in perfect working order. Along with a laser disc player, a DAT recorder and Minidisc recorder. I guess I'm a bit of a hoarder also got a golf ball typewriter

Its not about the product , its about the brand. The role of the brand in marketing is to create a relationship with the consumer such that it commands both loyalty and a premium price over other similar products on the market.This is particularly so at times when there is little technical innovation or differentiation. I guess we should all know that given this is a Mercedes Benz forum. Personally I prefer Android and my HTC

I still have mine stashed away in my loft in perfect working order. Along with a laser disc player, a DAT recorder and Minidisc recorder. I guess I'm a bit of a hoarder also got a golf ball typewriter

I still have a Philips Video 2000 video recorder - weighs about a tonne!

mercedes-benz-factory.jpg

I'm off to Sindelfingen next week to see how the factory works. The brand is important but equally important is the volume and the attitude towards quality. As I've argued before, if you're producing 250,000 E Class a year, you can invest far more into product development and testing, than if you're producing a fifth or a tenth of that volume. In Apple's case, an installed base of 750 million iPhones is a real strength against great products like the Samsung. Won't last forever though....

maxresdefault.jpg

Had a iphone 4 which served me well, sold it on and went over to Windows Lumia phone , big big mistake forever crashing , every update bricked it . Then over to Android with Samsung A5 which is working well, I do miss and like the Apple phones though , sisters iPhone 7 is a lovely phone , can't bring myself round to paying out £600 to 800 for a another iPhone though .

I think Apple are expensive.
I agree that they look great and are well made.

Exactly.

The most sensible thing a non-Apple fan said to me was that he agreed the build quality is second to none, and the OS is very refined and pretty, but it's not an item of jewellery to him, he just wants the functionality of a phone, and he couldn't justify the premium price when he'd likely drop it, lose it or have it stolen.

That's perfectly fine of course, but I can justify the price, i like nice things and am prepared to pay for them as and when they're affordable to me.

We could switch this conversation towards watches and see the exact same arguments on bang for buck.

AMGeed, who do you think you are? I need a talking to do I? Talk to me then, I'm genuinely curious what you have to say.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my bank account contains my money, not yours.

If you're happy with cheap tat and have no appreciation of quality, attention to detail or refinement, then GOOD NEWS!!! there are many phones for you to choose from and I won't try to talk you out of it.

For the rest of us, there's the iPhone.

Wow! :eek:

@i-CONICA relax, it's not personal against you! :D

I have never argued about their quality. But they are at the top end of the price scale and still they don't allow users to do stuff that some 'cheap tat' can do. I also spend a fair amount of time on my phone and it does what I want it to do, and much more that I don't need to.

The 'Wowing' at the release was just hilarious. Regarding the price point, it was inevitable that it would hit £1k soon, and maybe the anniversary was the perfect time to persuade people even though the jump is too big imo.

I'm not going to get into a debate about who's phone is 'better'. If you are an apple fan and like the way they dictate what you can or cannot do, you will love their new phone(s) and finally have things like wireless charging. If not, there are plenty other high end phones that do not crack their screens so easily and do plenty more at a cheaper (still expensive) price.

I still have a Philips Video 2000 video recorder - weighs about a tonne!

Ahh yes, probably the best of the three widely available domestic video formats.

Exactly.

The most sensible thing a non-Apple fan said to me was that he agreed the build quality is second to none, and the OS is very refined and pretty, but it's not an item of jewellery to him, he just wants the functionality of a phone, and he couldn't justify the premium price when he'd likely drop it, lose it or have it stolen.

The whole family switched to Apple in 2010. Laptops due to the demise of ThinkPad and Phones because Blackberry imploded.

I agree with your earlier comments about MacBooks, they go on forever, look as good as the day they were made and generally do everything you could want of them - long gone are the days when many business applications were PC only - although MS still tends to release Windows first, at least in the sector I work in.

About iPhones, of course the apps are (generally) great and I honestly don't know what I'd do if I didn't have the ability to press a couple of buttons and pay a bill, or keep my kids topped up when needed. I appreciate that banking apps aren't iPhone specific, but talking to friends in the industry, the iPhone tends to be the device they target first. It's certainly the case with the products we are currently working on.

I do feel though that the iPhone misses a trick. It's too please all for my liking and Jobs did the industry no favours when he lowered quality expectations on the introduction of 90c apps. In saying that, when I come across something that costs a fiver, I think twice. Funny old world.

An interesting thread seeing that many of us here own rather expensive cars where a cheap little box on wheels does the same job.

Not really. It's not that people are comparing a top end iphone to a £150 Android.

Thread has gone off the rails slightly, I'm sure it wasn't a Apple vs Android thread but always turns out that way.

Not really. It's not that people are comparing a top end iphone to a £150 Android.

Thread has gone off the rails slightly, I'm sure it wasn't a Apple vs Android thread but always turns out that way.

Correct Bob.

I started the thread because I was genuinely interested how many people wanted the new phone. I like apple products but not enough to pay such a price, nor a big (to me) monthly contract for a new phone. But that's not having a pop at the Apple brand but any phone (eg Samsung etc)

I always find it strange how people get defensive/offensive over such topics. Life's too short.

I have no inbuilt preference for android or iphone.

However I could never countenance spending more than 200 or 300, let alone a grand on a phone, which pretty much rules out Apple by default.

I have a Wileyfox Swift 2 that cost me 150 quid and does everything I need it to do. There's really nothing I need or want that I would buy any high-end phone, whatever the OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom