New IPhone 8 anyone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's nonsense. "The guy was an IT engineer" Oh well that's that then! Case closed!

I'm an "IT engineer", and Apple do design things very differently than other manufacturers, and I won't open yet another can of worms, but this "IT engineer" sounds like a right **** to be honest to piss on someone's chips like that.

To drill into this poor girl who's clearly thrilled with what she's bought, that all computers are the same by someone who's apparently in the know, convincing her she's been duped by a cleverly put together advert is a cruel thing to do.
Bet it gave him a real thrill to make her cry.

Used to buy every iPhone, from the 3GS up... I just think apple has lost its 'zing' the 6 plus was a brilliant phone... 7 plus I have the moment is not much different but I do much prefer the force touch home button...

Looking at the X. The full body screen just looks odd to me... don't think I'll be getting it... (he says... with fingers crossed) :p

Price tag is apples signature lol what other phone manufacturers have stores in most big shopping centres, they offered me a new iPhone in exchange for £250 for my 6 plus when it was dropped and the entire screen and 'chassis' was bent

My experience has been positive so far... but I do agree the price is expensive.. however my old iPhone 4 is still being used till today by my Grandad.. the stuff does last

Abs

what other phone manufacturers have stores in most big shopping centres

Ha, last week, I was at the Apple store in the Trafford Centre and it was packed as always.

When leaving, a few doors down was the Samsung "experience" store. (nice try, Samsung :rolleyes: ) There was one or two people in there. :D

That's nonsense. "The guy was an IT engineer" Oh well that's that then! Case closed!

I'm an "IT engineer", and Apple do design things very differently than other manufacturers, and I won't open yet another can of worms, but this "IT engineer" sounds like a right **** to be honest to piss on someone's chips like that.

To drill into this poor girl who's clearly thrilled with what she's bought, that all computers are the same by someone who's apparently in the know, convincing her she's been duped by a cleverly put together advert is a cruel thing to do.
I hear the passion and I understand it. They are beautifully designed laptops and I nearly bought the latest pro, well I planned too but my requirements for a 360 degree touchscreen with strong pen integration wasn't met.

A Lenovo X1 yoga (not the cheaper consumer yoga versions) was purchased instead...in fact it was a lot more than the Macbook.. Stunning piece of kit that I've honestly had numerous Apple fanboys in the airport lounges and on flights asking what it was and to try it. I did try the iPad Pro but I need office and a proper file management system. So if they can crack that I'm in.

So there are great alternatives to apple, until apple hit all your personal needs, there is no going back. I'm just not there yet.

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

All good points, but just FYI, all of the Microsoft Office suite is on MacOS and iOS.

I did have a oneplus one for a while.. Was a good phone but just couldn't get on with the android OS.. although Oneplus had the CyanogenMod variant which cuts out a lot of the b*******

iPhones for me anyway for now anyway..

Ha, last week, I was at the Apple store in the Trafford Centre and it was packed as always.

When leaving, a few doors down was the Samsung "experience" store. (nice try, Samsung :rolleyes: ) There was one or two people in there. :D

I think I must be hugely out of touch, or old or something, cos I just don't get the excitement.

I have the apps I want for banking, shopping, social media and a few games. My Swift 2 can do Android Pay if I were to allow it, which will never happen. I have no interest in instant messaging or file sharing. The camera is fine, it's actually a Sony component, 16 megapixels, which let's face it is more than enough for anyone who isnt a professional photographer. I can stick a 64Gb card in, which in conjunction with cloud storage is more than enough.

What do these high-end phones have wether Apple/Android, that really makes them worth 800-1000 pounds?

Just saw that they release an 8 and 8+ haha defo won't be buying that

The X maybe but the 8 hell no.. not worth upgrading from the 7+

I think I must be hugely out of touch, or old or something, cos I just don't get the excitement.

I have the apps I want for banking, shopping, social media and a few games. My Swift 2 can do Android Pay if I were to allow it, which will never happen. I have no interest in instant messaging or file sharing. The camera is fine, it's actually a Sony component, 16 megapixels, which let's face it is more than enough for anyone who isnt a professional photographer. I can stick a 64Gb card in, which in conjunction with cloud storage is more than enough.

What do these high-end phones have wether Apple/Android, that really makes them worth 800-1000 pounds?

Aesthetics (thin/light), build quality (unibody)

High resolution touch screen

Not just the MP of the camera, a lot more things.. also processing of the images is done differently depending on software (check out the 'shot on iPhone' photos)

Battery life

Wifi chip faster, 4G etc etc etc I could go on for days

Well you'd be surprised how good the Swift 2 feels, very sleek. All the rest that you mention sounds great but I guess not great enough for me to spend 4 or 5 times more than what I paid.

There's a lot of us getting very good deals on none-mainstream stuff that punches way above its weight when it comes to performance and features.

Well you'd be surprised how good the Swift 2 feels, very sleek. All the rest that you mention sounds great but I guess not great enough for me to spend 4 or 5 times more than what I paid.

There's a lot of us getting very good deals on none-mainstream stuff that punches way above its weight when it comes to performance and features.

Definitely bud... different phones suit different people... same as cars :)

We can all agree on loving MB, iPhones I think we can disagree on :)

Abs

It's not an age thing, Yugguy, you're just not into tech. I can't imagine I'd bump into you at a Comicon, E3 or CES either.

i-Conica, you're proving EXACTLY my point about this category of consumer product ;) The IT guy wasn't trying to tell her she'd been duped. He was describing a mechanical/production process from component source to retail distribution. Are you suggesting that the components in apple's laptops are not made of materials and elements found on plant earth or that the way in which they make them is based on some form of alien witchcraft? I say again, no one intended to humiliate or ridicule her; they were giving an objective perspective. She'd built up such a strong 'relationship' within an inanimate object she couldn't bear to hear otherwise.

I used this anecdote to illustrate the power of marketing and branding. I've got nothing against apple; I have an Macbook and iPhone too, but I 'believe' I haven't been overtly influenced...:rolleyes:

Mobile phones are one of - if not - the most "personal" thing in a surprisingly large number of people's life which can be directly compared directly to someone else's, and so it's hardly a surprise that conversations get excitable. Cars perhaps get close, but given the costs involved, most people shy away from direct comparison or offensive/defensive conversations.

I've been involved in several relatively large mobile deals on the customer side, and there's always a disproportionate level of interest from the board. Based on contract value and organisational impact as a subject it shouldn't really make the agenda, but it often does.

Members always sit patiently through the presentation and then when the opportunity arises, despite the deal relating to many thousands of people and the organisation they lead, the first question to be asked is always a personal one, and usually either "So can I keep my Xyz?" or "Does this mean I can get rid of my Abc?". Usually followed with "When do I move across?".

Strange, but true in my experience!

Apple do not typically lead the market in terms of hardware specification or actual quality. They outsource their manufacture to their competitors or to the suppliers of their competitors, and they usually take very recent but not the very latest hardware technology.

What Apple do lead the market in is making an object desirable and age well, really well, so that a phone which wasn't quite at the top of the tree at launch is still in active use and even relatively desirable several years later.

I have no data to back it up, but I'd bet a pint of shandy that there are more 5 year old iphone's in use today as a percentage of the total sold in that year than any other phone, and maybe even every other phone sold in that year. Not true for PC market though.

Does that mean that the Apple make a more durable or more reliable product because it lasts longer? No, I believe it's because it makes a product which is good enough quality which ages well aesthetically, and makes people want to hold on to, sell on, or repair if broken.

They do that with a combination of good quality to start with, but wrap around it a brand which people want to be associated with, good service, and "soft" services which continue to be updated so it looks and feels fresh for longer - and go far beyond the limits of the phone itself, ie music, etc

All that said, I reserve the right to be wrong and have a different opinion to others though :D

Apple do not typically lead the market in terms of hardware specification or actual quality. They outsource their manufacture to their competitors or to the suppliers of their competitors, and they usually take very recent but not the very latest hardware technology.

What Apple do lead the market in is making an object desirable and age well, really well, so that a phone which wasn't quite at the top of the tree at launch is still in active use and even relatively desirable several years later.

I have no data to back it up, but I'd bet a pint of shandy that there are more 5 year old iphone's in use today as a percentage of the total sold in that year than any other phone, and maybe even every other phone sold in that year. Not true for PC market though.

Does that mean that the Apple make a more durable or more reliable product because it lasts longer? No, I believe it's because it makes a product which is good enough quality which ages well aesthetically, and makes people want to hold on to, sell on, or repair if broken.

They do that with a combination of good quality to start with, but wrap around it a brand which people want to be associated with, good service, and "soft" services which continue to be updated so it looks and feels fresh for longer - and go far beyond the limits of the phone itself, ie music, etc

All that said, I reserve the right to be wrong and have a different opinion to others though :D

But you still didn't answer the question Rob, will you or won't you??? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom