New IPhone 8 anyone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's expensive I know, but no one is forcing anyone to buy it, but they'll sell by the truckload.

Look, I've recently knackered my MacBook Pro and no insurance and totally my fault. The new one is more expensive still, and there's a couple things I don't like about it, but nothing else fits the bill for me, so with a few boxes ticked it's going to be close to 3 grand.

I know it's a lot, but I want/need it for work/conferences etc and so I'm just going to have to hit the button, learn my lesson and get insurance.

If you're happy with Windows and a plastic laptop with a 2° virtical viewing angle then youre quids-in arencha.

The viewing angle you mentions is a good point

I have a MBP, and I never realised on other laptops you need to be completely in line with the screen to actually see the picture lol

The viewing angle you mentions is a good point

I have a MBP, and I never realised on other laptops you need to be completely in line with the screen to actually see the picture lol

Fair point BUT I've never ever used a laptop and not sat directly in front of it. :p

What is it you're considering buying Ant? :p

Currently bidding on bargin used A++ iPhone 6s on flea-bay.

And as soon as money allows we'll be investing in a iMac with a 5k 27" screen. :banana:

Canni bloody wait. Although I'll be relying on my mate coming up from Manchester to set it all up for me because I'm like a cave man when it comes to tech stuff. :doh:

One other thought on this - as 'top end' phones become more expensive, so are the contract lengths
First it was 12 months to 24 months

To make it more appealing, Virgin are now offering the iPhone 8 on 2 and 3 years contracts. It does reduce the monthly cost (a lot) but ties people into 3 year contract, so Apple loose those upgraders for even longer.....
They would be looking at the iPhone 12 as their next handset (presuming the X is now the 10)

And the amount of 'yoof' I see around with iPhones and cracked / shattered screens is amazing :wallbash:
(we all have tempered glass on ours, even my curved Sony and they have saved the day a few times)

Except it didn't fail at all.

Have a closer look, it's all in the details.

The screen says "your passcode is required to enable Face ID",

Just like all iPhones do with Touch ID when they're first started up.

The error was human. Someone was supposed to type the passcode in initially on boot up to enable the Face ID feature, but that wouldn't have looked so cool in the demo so he just picked up the backup.

Screen-Shot-2017-09-12-at-6.18.56-PM.png

Oh and wow! That much for a phone! It's the flagship handset. The range starts with the SE, which still has specs rivalling and beating those of similarly priced competitors.

I spend several hours a day on my phone, yet I was happy to pay nearly 2 grand for my laptop that I don't even use everyday. And yes it was worth every single penny.

Is 10k rediculous for a watch, given a 5 quid quartz will tell the time too?

Quality is quality. Not sure why anyone would pay that much for an iPhone then. My most expensive watch was £2k, but it's of much better quality than other watches. BUT, there are expensive watches with cheap movements in them..

AMGeed, who do you think you are? I need a talking to do I? Talk to me then, I'm genuinely curious what you have to say.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my bank account contains my money, not yours.

If you're happy with cheap tat and have no appreciation of quality, attention to detail or refinement, then GOOD NEWS!!! there are many phones for you to choose from and I won't try to talk you out of it.

For the rest of us, there's the iPhone.

I'm not happy with tat, plus I am in IT, so I won't be getting an iPhone.

My most expensive watch was £2k, but it's of much better quality than other watches. BUT, there are expensive watches with cheap movements in them

To be fair one could argue that to spend 2k on a watch is equally if not more bizzare than a phone. It just tells the time doesn't it? A cheap digital watch will do just as good job as a 2k watch. AKA tell the time.

Just sayin. :D

^^Unless you want it as an investment?
Some actually go up in price!

Well I just ordered myself an iPhone 8, my iPhone 6 which I have had for 4 years or so decided to go all black screen of death on me an hour after placing my order!

To be fair one could argue that to spend 2k on a watch is equally if not more bizzare than a phone. It just tells the time doesn't it? A cheap digital watch will do just as good job as a 2k watch. AKA tell the time.

Just sayin. :D

Oh I agree to a point, but it was a joint wedding present to me from my wife and me. I have 3 things in life I like (other than the wife lol). Cars, beer and watches. My watch will retain a fair amount of its value. When I have had iPhone's in the past, I struggled to sell, and when I did, I had to take a lower price than what it could been worth, especially with an iPhone 5 that was less than a year old, which had always been kept in a case and screen protector (all my phones are kept in cases and with a screen protector). I put this down to market saturation. My £20 Timex tells the time just as well, if not better than my £2k watch, it has a battery rather than being charged by movement. My £700 watch however gains 5 minutes a day. My entry level G-Shock is fine and my Casio Edifice is also fine, if a little big.

You could say the same about every item. Why buy an expensive tv when an Asda special will do the job? I know I said about the quality of the iPhone, and in many ways it was tongue in cheek. I think as a device it is perfectly fine, works out of the box etc etc. But there is nothing special about it. Arguably the same could be said about most phones these days. My HTC 10 is is perfectly fine and in a few years will still be fine. Phone advancements are not the same as they used to be. I just prefer Android. I prefer having a little control over my phone, BUT, I get I-Onica's point regarding the SD Card. I'd rather have no need for one in many ways, BUT for all of the down sides the positives are still there. If my phone fails my photo's are on my SD card. I can always recover them. You can also back the photo's up the cloud (I choose not to, I do not trust it), my contacts are in my Google account and tbh I do very little else with the phone other than to browse the internet, having a £1k phone is pointless.

So is having a £2k watch, but **** it :D

Last edited:
^^Unless you want it as an investment?
Some actually go up in price!

I don't think mine will go up in value, it's a mass produced one, though I've never seen anyone else wearing the same. It has more sentimental value than actual value. My oldest watch (I've had it for nearly 21 years) was given to me by my parents. With my dad not being around anymore there is no amount of money that would buy that watch from me.

I wasn't having a pop at watch enthusiasts. (My pride and joy is a Tag Heuer 'Vodafone McLaren Mercedes' watch that I saved hard for. I wear it everyday and enjoy owning it.) I was just making a point (similar to yours) that you can apply the same logic to many things. Cars, TV's, phones etc etc etc. The list is endless. People but things that they like. It's a feel good factor.

I didn't start this thread 'for' or 'against' iPhones. I have just bought an iPhone 6s from eBay that I didn't 'need' (as there's nowt wrong with my 4). I bought it because I was happy with the purchase price. Would I have bought one New Years ago at £4-5-600? Never in a million years. But that's not to say those who do are wrong, just that different things are important to different people.

i had the beta test program for iOS 11 and it buggered 7 apps went down to 4 when the final iOS 11

I'm not happy with tat, plus I am in IT, so I won't be getting an iPhone.

Oh do you work in IT? You one dem clever peeps den?

I’m a software developer, I don’t understand why people claim they work in IT means they won’t buy an iPhone. Of our team of devs it’s a 50/50 split right now of iPhones and others. It varies, naturally.

Go to any software dev conferences and it’s an ocean of MacBooks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom