New IPhone 8 anyone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It doesn’t kill off old apps.

iOS for years has been 64 bit with support for 32 bit apps, but it’s very inefficient to run these apps.

You’ve been getting warnings on those apps for years when you launch them, that it’ll impact performance.

Most developers have updated their apps to 64 bit now, and so they’ve finally removed support for them in 11.

Again, misconstrued information to make headlines and the roid lovers go paste mad.

Ant, (and others), they’ve given you a very easy way to see if any of your apps are old, slow, resource wasteful 32bit.

Go to Settings > General > About.

See the Applications number? (How many apps you have)?

Tapping this will show you any 32 bit apps that won’t work from 11 onwards. If it does nothing, you’ve no legacy apps.

Thousands of apps are about to stop working. Here's how to find out which ones

It both something that'll effect me mate. I've only got 3 Apps.

1) WhatsApp
2) Heatmiser-Neo
3)Christmas countdown. (96d 3h 9m) :banana:

All of those are 64 bit.

As is my very retro snake game that’s modelled on the front of a 3310 interface.

All of those are 64 bit.

As is my very retro snake game that’s modelled on the front of a 3310 interface.

Defo getting that app for Mrs Ants phone for her Xmas present. She'll love it.

Defo getting that app for Mrs Ants phone for her Xmas present. She'll love it.
Steady on Ant. With gifts like that you'll be giving the rest of us a bad name if we don't splash out on similarly lavish gifts for our other halves!

Steady on Ant. With gifts like that you'll be giving the rest of us a bad name if we don't splash out on similarly lavish gifts for our other halves!

I should have given more detail Rob. It's also her birthday on 19th Dec so 'killing two birds with one stone'

It's only fair, she got me some new alloys for my birthday. It's Important to keep on level pegging in a marriage don't you think?

I should have given more detail Rob. It's also her birthday on 19th Dec so 'killing two birds with one stone'

It's only fair, she got me some new alloys for my birthday. It's Important to keep on level pegging in a marriage don't you think?
Fair enough Ant, but I still think you're spoiling Mrs Happytalk. It's a slippery slope, mark my words she'll be expecting Tetris next Christmas.

Yep. ;)

There are more apps on the Google play store than the App Store now. :confused:

This’ll get ‘em going! It might have something to do with the £79/year you have to pay for a developer account! :eek: :p

Apple would say that most of the stuff on Google Play is bloatware and that their approach ensures quality apps that actually do something useful.

Oh do you work in IT? You one dem clever peeps den?

I’m a software developer, I don’t understand why people claim they work in IT means they won’t buy an iPhone. Of our team of devs it’s a 50/50 split right now of iPhones and others. It varies, naturally.

Go to any software dev conferences and it’s an ocean of MacBooks.

Super smashing great. None of the techs at my place have iPhones, none of the Devs have iPhones / Mac's. The only ones who do are management, and even then not all of them do.

And know, I aren't one of them clever people. You really do make yourself out to be a bit of a knob really don't you?

Super smashing great. None of the techs at my place have iPhones, none of the Devs have iPhones / Mac's. The only ones who do are management, and even then not all of them do.

And know, I aren't one of them clever people. You really do make yourself out to be a bit of a knob really don't you?

Not sure he does actually, i-CONICA presents a pretty sensible argument from what I've read.

Anyway..., in some industries Macs are the machines of choice, iPhones too. Not because they are pretty, but because they do certain jobs better than PCs/Androids - management or not. And if you travel a lot and need a laptop that's reliable, robust and quick to power up, nothing comes close to a MacBook in my experience, although in fairness in this respect, ThinkPads used to be the traveller's machine of choice. But IBM sold the tech to the Chinese (IIRC) and it was all down hill from there.

Talking phones, there is one area that lets the iPhone down, and that's the lack of a visible file system and file manager. All credit to Apple for managing all this time without one, but having files managed exclusively by individual apps and the OS, really sucks. Why not an expert mode - or non manager mode ;), allowing folks to manage things directly.

I work in IT... and yes historically we all had Abdroid phones. But there's been a shift in the past 3-4 years and many of the techs moved to iPhone. And some of the top techs now have an Android and an iPhone.... so I would say that probably there are more iPhone users than Android users in the general business community, but the IT guys are definitely no longer Android-only.

I remember the early days of Apple, when you only bought a Mac if you wanted to do CAD work.

Apple have done incredibly well to create that aura of being the top end choice and that appeals to people. And they are very good, but I still think a certain percentage of the price is markup for the brand, as they know people will pay it.

Obviously........

I typed that earlier while half asleep. People are of course entitled to their opinions. I have mine, others have theirs. I just do not see the point in paying money for a new phone with new features that were new on other phones some time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom