New Iphone released on June 19th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ckember

Car
GLC 350d AMG Premium plus
Apple have announced the release of both version 3.0 on June 17th and the new faster 3GS iphone on the 19th. Has 3MP camera, with AF and video modes, MMS new digital compass and faster processor.

Apple

No news on sap bluetooth support.

O2 have released prices which are frightening. on PAYG the new 32Gb phone is £538, the contract prices are from £29pm(18months)+£275 for the phone upto £74(24months) + free phone.

No cheap upgrade path for existing owners.

I asked in the o2 store in manchester and was told dont believe everything you read on the net..

its on the apple website,looks like the store is trying to shift old stock

O2 have updated their site and I agree, the prices are shocking for the PAYG! The old 16GB 3G was £390, now it's up to £440 for the 3GS...!

I wasnt that impressed with the old iphone so im hoping the new one will be better

Wasn't there talk of the iPhone being available on other networks soon?

Not happy with the prices on pay as you go, they are far to high. I was under the impression the 16GB 3GS should have been at the same price point as the 8GB 3G (i.e. £350) and the 32GB 3GS should have been at the same price point as the 16GB 3G (i.e. £400) but it seems the greedy people at O2 have other ideas.

I can easily afford it, but its just the principle that annoys me. Might just stick with my trusty old 8GB 2G.

I guess they can't make the iPhone too cheap otherwise (with the same capacity) there would now be no reason to buy an iPod Touch?

Also I would imagine the touch will be getting an upgrade soon.

At £500 it is about in line for so called high end phones, although these would usually be sim free rather than PAYG.

Mike

At £500 it is about in line for so called high end phones, although these would usually be sim free rather than PAYG.

The reality is that high end phones can be got for nothing even on discounted monthly contracts. The prices seem to be set to make the contract deals look good.

A colleague switched to a 16GB iPhone last week. Negotiated a cashback and monthly discount so that the equivalent cost is just under £30/month for 1200 minutes with 24 month duration.

Ive been holding out on buying one hoping the new version would give an opportunity to buy the standard 3g at a slightly more reasonable cost. I can afford it, but begrudge paying that much! so instead im going with the Nokia 5800 - Virgin got a deal today wher the phone is FREE and you get unlimited web, 150 minutes, 500 texts for £18 per month. Im sure its not a good as the Iphone but its much much better value.

I wasnt that impressed with the old iphone so im hoping the new one will be better

It's pretty much the same as the 3G, slightly faster hardware, better camera and a compass. Wow. Worth an extra £100 over the old one then...

Would have got one if it matched the rumours and speculation, but I'll stick with my 16GB 3G.

Sounds like some long awaited and useful improvements with the new (F.O.C) 3.0 software (I do remember reading about them some while back, nice to know it's coming soon :) )

Apple - iPhone - New features in the iPhone 3.0 Software Update.

To be honest, the new '3GS' iPhone wouldn't tempt me just yet. Nice if you're in the market for one anyway (might as well hold out for the new one :cool:), but realistically pretty similar to the existing model with the new S/W, just a few slight improvements.

Slightly O/T - I was very impressed with the efficiency and service recently when I had reason to use the 'Genius Bar' service at an Apple store recently (Westfield, White City). Had a fault with the handset (first one in 8 months) where it occasionally thought the headset was connected when it wasn't. No quibbles or awkwardness, they swapped the handset for a brand new one there and then :)

I know that's what they're supposed to do, but it was nice that they got it right first time, have had much worse experiences returning/exchanging/arranging repairs elsewhere in the past!

Will

just watched the conference from the other day and it seems the phone phone is just a small evolution. The improvements are nothing that would make me want to upgrade from my normal 3G iPhone.

The big update is in the software 3.0. I'm looking forward to the TomTom sat nav that will be available.

I reckon there will probably be a major update this time next year, in terms of hardware.

To me it would seem pretty silly to introduce a major hardware update at this stage, with customers still locked into there 18 and 24 month iPhone contracts. I wouldn't be at all suprised if we start to see 'leaks' of a all new iPhone (i.e. a much improved phone) around Christmas time, when those early adopters of the iPhone 3G contracts are coming up for renewal, ready for a summer release.

I would imagine tha

I'll be looking at the 3G(S) with interest . Speed won't make that much of a difference to me ; I never bothered upgrading to the 3G from my original iPhone which is now just out of contract .

Features which do seem useful are

voice control - initiating calls on the existing iPhone not convenient when driving

tethering - allowing me to use the iPhone internet connection with my laptop when out & about , but I wonder if there will be additional charges for data useage in this manner or if it will include in the existing 'unlimited' data package ......

I was very interested in the rumoured TomTom application - but nothing official about this as yet - I will hold off until this is clarified . The existing GPS apps on the 3G are effectively useless and I'm still using my Treo with TomTom Navigator 5 for satnav .

I would like to stick with iPhone as Contacts , Safari , Mail and iCal integrate so perfectly with the same apps on my Macs - unlike any other device I've looked at - but if TomTom or equivalent is not going to be forthcoming I'll be looking elsewhere .

I also hope the new model is not going to mean yet another cradle : when they brought the 3G out it was marginally bigger than the original iPhone , thus needing a different cradle ( another reason I didn't 'upgrade' ) will be a PITA for those who have been through both previous incarnations , besides THB usually have a lead time of a few months from the introduction of a new phone and having a cradle to suit .

A lot of questions needing answered before I decide ......

I was very interested in the rumoured TomTom application - but nothing official about this as yet - I will hold off until this is clarified . The existing GPS apps on the 3G are effectively useless and I'm still using my Treo with TomTom Navigator 5 for satnav .

TomTom for iPhone but only for 3G/S

The 3GS doesn't really bring much new to existing 3G, except for the increased memory. Most of the new features can be upgraded to the existing models.

O2 just released a press release (I think I read it in Guardian) that it WON'T be allowing upgrades to 3GS in for the current 3G users with ongoing contracts, only to original iPhone owners.

Found this while browsing the net:

iPhone Unlock UK - 1 Click iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3.0 Unlock guaranteed

Which apparently lets you use the iPhone with any network without losing the warranty. I've no personal knkowledge, since I only own an iPod Touch 2G.

T
The 3GS doesn't really bring much new to existing 3G, except for the increased memory. Most of the new features can be upgraded to the existing models.

O2 just released a press release (I think I read it in Guardian) that it WON'T be allowing upgrades to 3GS in for the current 3G users with ongoing contracts, only to original iPhone owners.

The fuss being generated on this is unreal. It tends to demonstrate that a very vocal group of iPhone users are simply just up for technology for its own sake - from the noise you'd think their phones had stopped working since the new ones were announced.

It also demonstrates the powerful marketing capability that Apple have through its fan base. Other capable (and possibly better) products are just knocked aside in the public arena and don't get exposure.

The fuss being generated on this is unreal. It tends to demonstrate that a very vocal group of iPhone users are simply just up for technology for its own sake - from the noise you'd think their phones had stopped working since the new ones were announced.

It also demonstrates the powerful marketing capability that Apple have through its fan base. Other capable (and possibly better) products are just knocked aside in the public arena and don't get exposure.

I agree, the Apple fanboys are a powerful force.. :p

I do like Apple products, this message is typed using MacBook Pro and I have an iPod Touch 2G. HOWEVER, the fact that 3GS release pointed out the "new" features being copy/paste, MMS and video recording... which is ridiculous, as these features have been in many phones for years... MMS for almost a decade now, ircc.

The power of iPhone lies in usability and App Store. Unfortunately, as long as iPhone doesn't have a proper qwerty keyboard, it's little use for me, as I need to write emails, SMS' and chat daily in my business. With the touch screen it's very tiresome and slow.

I have my eye on the new Nokia N97 with a qwerty keyboard AND a touch screen. Let's hope my boss approves my purchase order... :D

I asked in the o2 store in manchester and was told dont believe everything you read on the net..

WHAT

no london bus on the moon!

i think iPhones are so far up their own backsides its amazing

3 of my friends have these phones and they are awful and not worth the money

if they had one with double the sized screen id be interested but they are way too small and waaaaaay to expensive

my nokia 6220 classic is a stunning bit of kit and was free on O2, ive slipped in a 8gb card and now bob has married my mums sister

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom