1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

New member, looking to finding first AMG

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by SMed08, Nov 10, 2016.

1. SMed08

SMed08 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55k AMG
    Hi guys.

I've been looking recently to get an E55K W211 AMG.

Have absolutely fallen in love with them. Been watching the usual places, eBay, Autotrader and Piston Heads.

Going to see a few this weekend. What are the best things to look for specific to these models? Tips to easily check out the usual suspect features (complicated brakes and suspension etc)?

Thanks,
    Sami.

2. OP
    OP
    SMed08

Car:
    E55k AMG
    No?

Saw one yesterday. It still had the original airmatic parts at 90,000 miles. It seemed to still work and slowly went up and down. Wasn't sure how quickly it was supposed to operate.

Is it normal for the side lights to be such a yellow colour compared to the xenon head lights?

3. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ( )
    Yes sidelights will look yellow compared to the whiteness of the xenons. Both the MB parts counter in your local Mercedes dealer and aftermarket suppliers will be able to supply bulbs with a blue coating which makes them appear whiter. Good luck with your search.

4. OP
    OP
    SMed08

Car:
    E55k AMG
    Thanks.

Something tells me trying to put LED bulbs there would be a mistake.

5. AMGeed

AMGeed Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
  6. merc85

merc85 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    w211 e55k
    Id highly recommemd having a fund for after purchase to put stuff you may have missed right.

Check for vibration under hard acceleration, vibs through the steering, any knocks clunks lock to lock, wondering under hard breaking, any lifting of engine wen gears are selected, ang movement of the gear leaver wen being driven. Usuall malfunctions srs sensors, abs, centre panel working below stereo etc. Any smoking on hard acceleration or after idling for a while.

All my struts had been replaced at 80k but I still had to sort a worn suspension pump.
    I'm very picky with my cars but still I've spent over grand sorting stupid stuff out.
    Great cars but have a fund left just incase.

7. OP
    OP
    SMed08

Car:
    E55k AMG
    All good advice, thanks.

Another thing. When these cars have their suspension raised, do they self-lower whilst driving around, or do they stay at that height until you lower them again? One I drove the other day lowered down again after driving. Was curious what it's supposed to do.

Yeah, I saw those. I've been in contact with one, as he left his mobile. But the other chap I haven't been able due to low post count.

8. OP
    OP
    SMed08

Car:
    E55k AMG
    Another one I saw, sounded a little tappy under the bonnet when cold. It did settle down after a couple of minutes. I take it this may be normal when cold?

9. Alex225

Alex225 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Definitely have a find aside for keeping the car happy! :)

Don't forget that the car is essentially a 15 odd year old design so things like side lights will look a bit dated. Easy to make little changes like that.

I'm no mechanic so can't add much more but good luck with the hunt!

10. brucemillar

brucemillar Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v

They can sound very tappety when cold. This should settle within a few minutes = Hydraulic tappets.

Regular servicing is important with good quality fluids. These engines are usually bomb proof. The same cannot always be said of the ancillaries: AC, Alternator etc. Check that all the electrics work. If the side lights are not working? make sure that they do work and it is not "just a bulb", they are usually driven by the SAM and are not fused. A new SAM can be upwards of £350. AC compressors run at around £800 for a new unit.

11. AMGeed

AMGeed Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    I'm uncertain of the exact speed, but yes the cars do lower once you reach that limit. Its how its designed.

12. OP
    OP
    SMed08

Car:
    E55k AMG
    Very helpful guys, thanks.

13. OP
    OP
    SMed08

Car:
    E55k AMG
    Well I finally pulled the trigger and picked up E55Jay's car he had for sale. :D

[​IMG]

14. merc85

merc85 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    w211 e55k
    I reckon you got yourself a nice car there ;) Well done :)

15. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ( )
    Very nice car. As much neatly trimmed bush as any man could manage. Life doesn't get any better. :thumb:

16. OP
    OP
    SMed08

Car:
    E55k AMG
    :D Thanks, but that's E55Jay's original ad photo. I have no such bush.

1 person likes this.