New member, looking to finding first AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SMed08

Car
E55k AMG
Hi guys.

I've been looking recently to get an E55K W211 AMG.

Have absolutely fallen in love with them. Been watching the usual places, eBay, Autotrader and Piston Heads.

Going to see a few this weekend. What are the best things to look for specific to these models? Tips to easily check out the usual suspect features (complicated brakes and suspension etc)?

Thanks,
Sami.

No?

Saw one yesterday. It still had the original airmatic parts at 90,000 miles. It seemed to still work and slowly went up and down. Wasn't sure how quickly it was supposed to operate.

Is it normal for the side lights to be such a yellow colour compared to the xenon head lights?

Yes sidelights will look yellow compared to the whiteness of the xenons. Both the MB parts counter in your local Mercedes dealer and aftermarket suppliers will be able to supply bulbs with a blue coating which makes them appear whiter. Good luck with your search.

Id highly recommemd having a fund for after purchase to put stuff you may have missed right.

Check for vibration under hard acceleration, vibs through the steering, any knocks clunks lock to lock, wondering under hard breaking, any lifting of engine wen gears are selected, ang movement of the gear leaver wen being driven. Usuall malfunctions srs sensors, abs, centre panel working below stereo etc. Any smoking on hard acceleration or after idling for a while.

All my struts had been replaced at 80k but I still had to sort a worn suspension pump.
I'm very picky with my cars but still I've spent over grand sorting stupid stuff out.
Great cars but have a fund left just incase.

All good advice, thanks.

Another thing. When these cars have their suspension raised, do they self-lower whilst driving around, or do they stay at that height until you lower them again? One I drove the other day lowered down again after driving. Was curious what it's supposed to do.

Yeah, I saw those. I've been in contact with one, as he left his mobile. But the other chap I haven't been able due to low post count.

Another one I saw, sounded a little tappy under the bonnet when cold. It did settle down after a couple of minutes. I take it this may be normal when cold?

Definitely have a find aside for keeping the car happy! :)

Don't forget that the car is essentially a 15 odd year old design so things like side lights will look a bit dated. Easy to make little changes like that.

I'm no mechanic so can't add much more but good luck with the hunt!

Another one I saw, sounded a little tappy under the bonnet when cold. It did settle down after a couple of minutes. I take it this may be normal when cold?

They can sound very tappety when cold. This should settle within a few minutes = Hydraulic tappets.

Regular servicing is important with good quality fluids. These engines are usually bomb proof. The same cannot always be said of the ancillaries: AC, Alternator etc. Check that all the electrics work. If the side lights are not working? make sure that they do work and it is not "just a bulb", they are usually driven by the SAM and are not fused. A new SAM can be upwards of £350. AC compressors run at around £800 for a new unit.

Another thing. When these cars have their suspension raised, do they self-lower whilst driving around, or do they stay at that height until you lower them again? One I drove the other day lowered down again after driving. Was curious what it's supposed to do.

I'm uncertain of the exact speed, but yes the cars do lower once you reach that limit. Its how its designed.

Well I finally pulled the trigger and picked up E55Jay's car he had for sale. :D

ED9FFF53-932B-4F67-95D4-102D4695138A_zpseoubznbx.jpg

Very nice car. As much neatly trimmed bush as any man could manage. Life doesn't get any better. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom