New Rear Tyres - Street Legal for Track Use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyp87

Car
W166 GLE350d
Hey all,

My tyres on the back are down to 4mm so I'm looking to replace them soon for something a little more orientated to track use.

Now, currently I have Michelin Pilot Sport 2s (PS3 on the front) and was going to get the Super Sports until I discovered the Sport Cup 2 on MyTyres.

I won't be using the car in the rain, although these are down as 'C rating' so not that bad if I am caught out.

Has anyone run these or similar tyres and are they worth it - I am only interested in additional grip off the line for the 1/4 mile track.

Thanks in advance.

I've used Federal 595RSR's before and found them excellent even if they are the budget end of road/track day tyres but that was on a far lighter and less powerful car. Still, I reckon they're worth considering all the same.

Hi John,

Thanks for the recommendation, took a little searching but would appear they are only available in 265/35/19, OEM size is 275/35/19 so a tad wider - not by much though.

Other option is 295/30/19 which is Toyo Proxy R888s which look awesome but not sure they'd fit.

EDIT: I have thought about going all out with a set of 17/18" rims but think that's going to far. lol

Oh that's a pity, 19's seem to be a bit of an issue.

Marty

Sport Cup are perfect for track and summer roads. Good for a few thousand miles at most but just what you're looking for.
My set lasted 1600miles :)

Thanks Chris, sounds like they will fit the bill nicely and are in the right size.

Fingers crossed I can manage to get the car sorted before Autumn, got a few parts needing fabricated once I get her back from MSL so we'll see how it goes.

Whether or not the engine goes bang in between times is another matter. lol

If you just want them for racing I'd buy a pair of wheels & have them just for racing. Toyo 888s and Yokohama 032/048Rs would be ideal. Or buy some slicks…

If you can run 17s or 18s you'll have a huge variety of tyres to choose from

Nick Froome

Have thought about it, only 4 pot Brembos on the rear so 17"s should fit just the hassle of changing wheels at the track that puts me off.

Would be the best of both worlds though really wouldn't it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom