new shell unleaded

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crankiejohn

Car
2002 180 elegance auto estate
has anybody had any problems using the new shell unleaded,i filled up with it last week and my car has started hunting on cold starts for about 30 seconds.it may be somthing else but i remember the other problems with shell fuel that damaged a lot of cylinder heads

Strange My best mate was complaining about it last week he said his Vauxhall Insignia became sluggish after he filled up with Shell's new unleaded

Yes.

Using the Wife's A150 the other week, which was on its second tank of Shell FuelSave Unleaded, it couldn't help itself but kangaroo when lifting off the accelerator (engine cold at this time).

Since then we put it back to BP and all is fine again.

In the 80's Shell brought out 'Formula Shell' which was a very cunning trick. It was a lead replacement petrol and as such the duty was lower. Shell marketed the fuel as a 'better' fuel so charged more!!! So they made large profits. Unfortunately as it was lead replacement it was effectively unleaded and on some vehicles it caused valve seat erosion and burnt out valves. I think Rovers were one of the most badly effective.

The whole thing caused Shell lots of issues and bad publicity so I would be very surprised if they have made another fuel that some vehicles dont like. I remember I used to know a few people who worked at their research and dev site in Ellsemere port (cant remember name, Thornton or something) and they used to have 'test' cars with development fuel to use when they wanted. That way the fuel got 'tested' in a big way be employees driving them round for fun in the evenings and weekends! They did used to use Mercs as test cars as my mates would complain that they never had any extras fitted :)

The above is from memories and I may not have the story 100% correct but my memory is getting on a bit :)

How long have you usedthe new shell and did you always use the same fuel previous to shells fuelsave?

Strange, my 280cdi was sluggish using the new fuelsave diesel, i've used a couple of tanks of v-power and its much better. Think i'll stick with the dearer stuff.

I've been checking a few forums about this new stuff, seems a lot of people are having similar problems with slugginesh , noise etc

I know there have been many threads on supermarket fuel, but seriously, I have used it most of my motoring life and NEVER had a problem!

Currently fill my 160,000 mile E320 with Asda diesel. Averages 42mpg and, according to Olly @ PCS, is 'one of the quickest 320's I've ever driven'!! lol

Am not re-starting the Supermarket vs Brand Name fuel debate btw, so please don't go there!!

How long have you usedthe new shell and did you always use the same fuel previous to shells fuelsave?

Previously used BP for the last 18months. Ran on Shell for 2 months from when it first came out. Now back to BP.

In the 80's Shell brought out 'Formula Shell' which was a very cunning trick. It was a lead replacement petrol and as such the duty was lower. Shell marketed the fuel as a 'better' fuel so charged more!!! So they made large profits. Unfortunately as it was lead replacement it was effectively unleaded and on some vehicles it caused valve seat erosion and burnt out valves. I think Rovers were one of the most badly effective.

The whole thing caused Shell lots of issues and bad publicity so I would be very surprised if they have made another fuel that some vehicles dont like. I remember I used to know a few people who worked at their research and dev site in Ellsemere port (cant remember name, Thornton or something) and they used to have 'test' cars with development fuel to use when they wanted. That way the fuel got 'tested' in a big way be employees driving them round for fun in the evenings and weekends! They did used to use Mercs as test cars as my mates would complain that they never had any extras fitted :)

The above is from memories and I may not have the story 100% correct but my memory is getting on a bit :)

The 'formula Shell' problem pre-dated LRP and arose from the fact that Shell's 'special' additive pack was not added at the refinery, but by the tanker drivers at the delivery point. This arose because petrol companies have sharing arrangements to get suppplies from competitor refineries, so the fuel was 'normal' petrol. (As an aside, that's why I never worry about supermarket petrol - ever seen an Asda refinery?) In many cases the fuel was over-dosed by the tanker driver which caused deposits on the inlet tract and valves. Cars with fairly tight valve stem clearances (Vauxhalls were one) suffered from sticking and burned out valves. The Police had many patrol cars damaged this way, and because they could prove where there cars were filled up they got compensation. Not every private owner was so lucky. The problems resulted in the fuel being withdrawn.

JS

My son had a tankful of that and reported immediate rough idle and general non wonderfulness. Why would that be? Well, here is one possible reason:

How does Shell Efficiency Improver work?

"Previous fuel economy formulations have been solely based on inlet system deposit control over extended mileage using detergent additives.

This new additive formulation combined with the new Shell Efficiency Improver component works by lubricating where normal engine oils can’t easily reach. "

That says "upper cylinder lubricant" to me, which coats the valves, bores, piston head. And the spark plugs....

That would surely affect every car that used it though, almost immediately.

We use the diesel in our Audi and Vito without any issues. The SL gets V-Power.

That would surely affect every car that used it though, almost immediately.

We use the diesel in our Audi and Vito without any issues. The SL gets V-Power.

Diesels don't use spark plugs. That's the very item upper cylinder lubricants contaminate :rolleyes:

Diesels don't use spark plugs.
Yes I'm aware of that. It was just a general comment on the 'new' fuels.

So if it's plug contamination how come it hasn't affected every single car that has used it (probably hundreds of thousands by now)? And don't you think that might have occurred to them as a potential issue?

It could be down to the numerous combustion chamber designs, number of valves, ignition systems etc. So many variables could affect combustion of the fuel.

I tend to avoid these 'new-fangled' fuels and stick to what works!

Yes I'm aware of that. It was just a general comment on the 'new' fuels.

So if it's plug contamination how come it hasn't affected every single car that has used it (probably hundreds of thousands by now)? And don't you think that might have occurred to them as a potential issue?

I use nothing but Shell fuel in all our cars, the W208 and SWMBO Audi A8 are both running on Shell fuelsave petrol and I would say are probably averaging about 0.6mpg better than they were. Volvo is on Shell fuelsave Diesel and no difference to consumption but the engine sounds very coarse when compared to running on V power diesel. I am actually going to fill up this weekend with Total to see if there is a change in engine sound.

i used the the shell fuel save once and it made the car a bit jerkey so went went back to super , i either use shell or sainsburys pertrol as they are on the way to work but i allways vus super unleaded

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom