New SL350 Incoming...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Khamen

Car
C63 AMG Coupe
From V8 lunatic to V6 refinement. The new SL to be picked up next weekend in exchange for the C63

If anyone is interested I will try to do a full regular report on costs, ownership, etc, etc as I tried with the C63 until it got snippy.

The strut in the background holding the showroom up makes it look like it has an enormous aerial...

K

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase! I for one would be interested in your report.

Khamen

Congratulations, you will love the SL it's a classy car. I went the same route from a c63 (although I couldn't leave the v8 behind)

I would be be interested to hear your thoughts.

Justin

Lovely looking SL. Will be interested to read your comparison to the C63

Great looking car. They look good in white:)

A couple more pics of the car in the showroom. Bit blurry but blame the camera phone for that.

A note on spec. I had a preconceived idea that I would probably like the following spec when I went for a drive on Saturday morning:

* Airscarf
* Reversing Camera
* Harman Kardon
* Electrically operated wind deflector
* Tyre pressure monitoring system
* DAB digital radio

I also had a notion in my head around colour - Cavansite Blue with Porcelain Leather. The colour was the big sticking point, as choice is surprisingly limited. I was going to get a blue one built, but as I was pondering I spent more time looking at this one that was in the showroom. It's an unregistered model which I assume the dealer bought in at the end of March to meet quotas.

It doesn't have the Harman Kardon, Tyre pressure monitor, electric wind deflector or DAB. It does have the airscarf, reversing camera, remote boot opening (another button!) and the intriguing but gimmicky-sounding ambient lighting. Oh and the diamond white metallic paint which is also a cost option.

Sticker price on the floor a smidge under £74k, but I was reasonably happy with a deal for a bit under 10% off of this. There may have been a tiny bit left on the table, but I was ok with the deal we hit on.

On the (wet) test drive in another (iridium silver) car I enjoyed the engine note and ride quality of the car. Obviously it's not as quick as the C63, and the handling is not as taut and responsive, but the ride is much more comfortable. It was actually nice to keep my foot in for a few seconds without instantly warping into license-worrying territory in a blast of noise and vaporized rubber. I rather like the raspy exhaust note too actually. Interestingly I enjoyed the more relaxed acceleration - I had time to enjoy the process of gaining speed. With the roof down I kinda think this may be amplified.

Test drive mpg? 19...

Ok there was some town driving and some dual carriageway blasting, but that will be one to watch. Mind you, same routine in the AMG would probably have returned sub-15

K

Attachments

• WP_20140405_004.jpg
    WP_20140405_004.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 48
  • WP_20140405_007.jpg
    WP_20140405_007.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 44
  • WP_20140405_005.jpg
    WP_20140405_005.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Please do the report! I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to the SL when my SLK goes back next year so this would be very interesting and useful for me.

Lovely looking car by the way! :)

I must admit the R231 is growing on me too :)

Well, picked it up yesterday and have covered around 300 miles (80% motorway), roof up and roof down. After 2 years of sub-20 mpg snarling about in the AMG, to see the heady reading of 32+ mpg leaves me wanting to change my name to Swampy and go and refloat some whales...

Early days, but I have a strong suspicion this may be the best car i have ever had. Build quality is staggeringly good after the rattly insides of the C63, and it's nice to go over a cats eye without shattering a vertebra. Reaction has been very positive from friends and family, with the trick roof being the obvious party piece. Other highlights include the noise of the V6 (lovely and refined after the V8 AMG roar), the surprisingly cool boot closing extra thing, and the colour. In the bright sunshine I have to say the R231 in diamond white metallic is a gorgeous thing. When clean anyway - I'll see what a few days of road grime does to the dazzling finish

Downsides? Not much to be honest. The "ambient lighting" package is not very impressive (i may have it programmed wrong of course), and I couldn't tell the difference between the yellow, orange and red colours. The lack of a DAB tuner is frustrating (posted in another thread), and I am having loads of grief setting up internet sharing/tethering on a Windows phone, but that's about it. Oh, I need to get used to the dimensions, especially as I expect the wheel arches to be massive like on the AMG (there're not so you end up reversing wonky at first). I was amazed and bewildered by the "it parks itself thing" when the handover chap showed me but not sure how often I'll use it. It is v freaky to sit in a car with your arms folded while the wheel is twirling about and the thing is reversing itself into a space

Range from a tank? I think 500 miles may be possible with some care. Sorry to get hung up on economy, I know it's a bit ****, but it's a matter of post-AMG smugness right now. I'll get over it

K

Thanks for the write up. I am looking to change mine now I've bought a Transporter Kombi - so my family moving problems are solved. SL63 would be lovely but way out of my price range.
You say no DAB. Is that just in yours or on the range? Couldn't live without it now , myself.

I've answered my own question by looking a little further down the posts!

Khamen

Glad your enjoying it. I have has mine 9 months now and am still loving it. Perfect timing with the weather as well.

Keep us posted as you get t drive it more.

Welcome to the white R231 SL350 club :bannana:

The park assist feature is very cool and always amuses any passengers who experience it. It does a really good job too!

I have the DAB option and I think it's useless. I'd gladly swap it for the boot closer.

Oh, and 37mpg is my best so far. Around MK at midnight, in manual mode....significantly less.

Glad you are enjoying your SL. I have had mine for 2 weeks now and am loving it.

DAB was a must have option for me and works very well. I believe that this will be standard from July.

The ambient lighting does work but you need to turn the brightness up to the maximum level. The red seems to be the most visible. I agree that with the black interior it is a bit underwhelming. I have seen it with the porcelain interior and it is more noticeable.

I have gone the other way to you from a V6 to a V8. Really enjoying the extra power and torque, although only seeing fuel consumption in the high 20s.

They are very rare cars and do stand out. I have got used to the size now, although it did feel very wide at first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom