New tyre tread depth ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scooby_Doo

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Macan S
Picked the new car up yesterday and whilst having a good look around it after getting it home I had a look at the tread depth on the 235 & 255 Continentals fitted to it. I was surprised to find that they only had 7mm of tread, I checked the rear tyre depth on my wife's car (probably done about 8000 miles ) and they were showing just over 7mm. I always thought that new tyres had about 8-9 mm , is there a standard or are they all different ???

I think most tyres have about 7 mm tread from new. The Kumho KU31's (255 x 55 x 16) I have on my W211 started off with 7 mm. After about 25K miles they're now due for replacement with about 3.5 mm tread remaining on them now.

Manufacturing spec is normally 8mm but also temperature dependent depending on factors such as compound and tread pattern

Not to sure I've got continentals fitted but done aprox 3tho since picking it up from the dealers. I'll check the backs later as the fronts have had a bit of hammer.
One thing I did notice was the PSI was very high, worth checking your tyre presures are the correct PSI
my fronts was 44 and 48 PSI should of been 38psi
And the backs was 42 and 39 PSI when thay should of been 36PSI, then I had to reset my tyre pressure warning.
Do you have run flats or normal numatics fitted
Cheers
Ben

Normal tyres thankfully, not a big fan of runflats. The only downside to the new car is that because MB have put the Adblue tank in the spare wheel well I've only got the can of "gunk" in case of a puncture - no jack or wheelbrace. :dk:

At least 8mm on a standard road tyre.

Not sure of specific makes, but I think some are manufacturing to 7mm now; bit like reducing the size of your Mars Bar, but increasing the cost! I think winter tyres have a bit more tread depth, though, due to less useable tread in severe conditions.

Ernie

Normal tyres thankfully, not a big fan of runflats. The only downside to the new car is that because MB have put the Adblue tank in the spare wheel well I've only got the can of "gunk" in case of a puncture - no jack or wheelbrace. :dk:

I also dislike the run flats I could do with swapping fronts to backs so I'll wear them evenly but like urself I haven't got anything to change/swap tyres.
Going to have bye all the gear so I can fit normal tyres when I've worn these run flats down.

Checked the depth on the back tyres and they are 7mm
And I've taken 2mm off the fronts, they are about 5mm ish
Cheers
Ben:thumb:

Attachments

• 2C77DCF300000578-0-image-a-19_1442586596153.jpg
    2C77DCF300000578-0-image-a-19_1442586596153.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 14
7-8mm is typical these days for new tyres.

I have heard about trimming to 7mm but not seen any proof yet. Until then, 'normal' summer tyres are as SPX said, 8mm from new.

I have heard about trimming to 7mm but not seen any proof yet. Until then, 'normal' summer tyres are as SPX said, 8mm from new.

Do a quick search and you will find lots of discussions where people have measures new tyres and typically they are 7-8mm.

An example thread right back in 2008 Tyre Depth Question...?

Its nothing new that they are 7mm or more. Many are 8mm, but some 7mm. Measured many of mine over the years and they vary, but equally so does how long they last so you can't read much into it.

Last edited:
Measured my last new tyres at 7.4 mm.

One thing that can affect tread depth is speed rating. I've see two otherwise identical make and model of tyre except for the speed rating and the higher speed rated tyre had shallower tread. Deeper tread generates more heat so tread depth is sometimes reduced on high speed rated versions.

Picked the new car up yesterday and whilst having a good look around it after getting it home I had a look at the tread depth on the 235 & 255 Continentals fitted to it. I was surprised to find that they only had 7mm of tread, I checked the rear tyre depth on my wife's car (probably done about 8000 miles ) and they were showing just over 7mm. I always thought that new tyres had about 8-9 mm , is there a standard or are they all different ???
Hi , my C207 runs on Cont 5p and on the two sets I have put on the car the tyres had 7mm of thread on them.

My wife took delivery of a Nissan Juke last week with 19" Hankook tyres and they've only got 7mm on them.

It’s something to consider when people calculate how much useful wear life there is in a tyre.

If they only start off a smidge over 7mm and you change them around 3mm, it doesn’t give you much to wear through!

I measured a new set of MO Continentals a few years back, and the tread depth varied very slightly (around 1mm from memory) from inner to outer - so perhaps they are also tailored slightly to certain geo settings? :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom