new user /new owner/first problem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steven phelps

Car
VW
Hello, let me first say that my machine is a 2004 export Mercedes to the USA. Why am I in the UK club you might ask? Well I own a Norton Motorcycle and a Jaguar E, I am in both owners clubs, the Bike a UK club and the Jag international. I have met a lot of real good people from the Uk so here's my question: What is the electronic item placed on top of the intake manifold (2.7 inline 5 diesel). it's marked walen and timec. has hoses going somewhere and an electrical plug. It produces a high pitched whine with the key on, this continues after the key is shut off then ends when a click is heard, a solenoid?
I am wondering if this could be related to the RPM problem I am having. the engine rpm is only 2200 when all the shifts occur. it will not downshift, its as if the throttle is not connected. sometimes /usually when first starting out it will have more power, rev up to 35-4000 and has much more power of course. this only lasts a few times(shift sequences) then returns to the low power 2200 shift. The machine has rested for the last 5 years with very little use, prior to that was used regularly and serviced at MB or freightliner dealerships.
thank you in advance for any help! don't know the age of the fuel but the battery is brand new.

fuel filter changed 2000 miles earlier, EGR recall done at 35,000 I miss-spelled the electronic item, I should write things down that I want to post.

Welcome to the forum.

Can't really help but just wondering what Jaguar is it?

I've heard of XF 2.7s with gearbox (TCU) module issues causing erratic driving.

My understanding is that engine isn't particularly popular either!

Sounds like the butterfly valve actuator on the throttle body from your description. It's held shut and emits a high pitched whine as most stressed servos do.

It doesn't take much, granted, but I am confused.
Owns a VW, is a Norton and Jag owner but no mention of exactly what vehicle he is referring to except it is a 2.7, five cylinder diesel which has very little use for five years, has put a new battery on it (but done nothing about the fuel or other fluids) and mentions previous servicing at MB or freight liner dealerships.

Have a missed something glaringly obvious? What MB is he asking about, assuming he realises this is an MB forum?

Not confusing at all!....Lol

He says in the first sentence what year Mercedes he has and then goes on to say 2.7 inline 5 diesel....so what would you all think he has?....it`s clearly not a Jag or a Norton is it!

I know nothing about Mercs but i can read.....

It is slightly random but not everyone has English as their first language and not everyone writes clear posts every time.

I thought it better to err on the side it is genuine to avoid being unkind to a new member...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom