New Vehicle trial.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Next two days are big days....

I'm outgrowing the Volvo in terms of the kit that I carry in the boot. I've got more planned, which is going to cause me issues at overnight stops....

So my plan.... Is likely to mean that the Volvo is replaced by a ...... van......

Have to pick up some office furniture this week... So will be doing my week's circuit of the UK.... In a van.....

I'm curious to find out if they are still really noisy (which will put me off massively). While it will be a rental, Bluetooth would be very nice. Cruise is probably not going to happen....

Could be interesting...

Vans are amazing nowadays. Very car like.

Don't discount the likes of Ford, Vauxhall, Renault etc. They're all great value for money boxes.

Also don't make a judgement on your hire van. They'll be very bog standard compared to what you could buy.

Ant.

New Transit is a brilliant van, plus there is also the Vivaro which very very car-like to drive so unless they put you in a Vito you should be ok.

Yet to find a van that doesn't have crap seats. They're all perfectly fine provided you're not moving, but the side support is non-existent. Thus you either fall out sideways under cornering or find yourself trying to brace with your legs, which gets very tiring.

My work vehicle is a Transporter, I love it

Touch screen, DAB, blue tooth. No air con but don't really need it with electric wiindows. Only thing I wish I had was cruise control, our old vans did

After this lease ends next year it'll be a new Transit, which I hate the shape of

We also have Caddys, just like driving a Golf/A3 although no electric windows, but did have cruise control :) Fitted with parrot kits

All our vans come with power converters, lined in ply with the Transporters/Transits also having racking/shelves/containers fitted, with tables. Pretty neat. So obviously other people's options might differ but I find even with all that fitted there's still loads of space-

I have little giant ladders (they are huge) hung on the right side wall, smaller normal ladders below against the wheel arch boxing. My microscope or other heavy stuff and surveying equipment stored underneath the table which is always out. To the left wall/sliding door side is the racking which I've filled, toolbag/boxes other large items sit on the floor. Golf bag situated by the doors at the end of the racking, sledge hammer/crowbars/anything awkward are by the doors on the right hand side (cable tied) Can easily put all my fishing gear in the back also with a crosser on a frame

Hope that gives you an indication of the transporter anyhoo

Last edited:
Had our Vito for 9 years now and still love it. I drive it to/from the south of Germany (11 hrs) with no problems.

As mentioned a hire van will probably be poverty spec. Buying your own you can make life much easier e.g.

auto gearbox
comfort seats
parktronic
cruise control
aircon
etc.

For real comfort get the MPV version (e.g. Viano / V Class for Mercedes), and take some seats out. The same vehicle but will have more toys as standard and better sound insulation.

Sadly Mercedes have dropped the V6 engine options now :(

I'm driving this at the minute, absolutely love it;

I run 4 vans and it all depends what you're going to be carrying. The heavier the load the more umph you need and also what space you require.The payloads vary so check them out fully first.

Renault Trafic. Great for driving around no problems after 6 years but limited rear space.

Ford Transit (old type 07 plate) loads of problems but I was warned about it before purchase. Great engine and if they've sorted the problems out will be ordrering a new one.

Nissan NV200. Pretty new with lots of space for a little van and a nice drive

Nissan NV400. Big and roomy very large van type. Actually went to buy another Renault Master (after 10 years it never missed a beat) but the Nissan was £1500 cheaper with a slightly better spec even though it's essentially the same van.

If it's going to be a keeper order a coloured one so you get it straight from the factory rather than a white one which will have been sitting around the docks for god knows how long

A MUSICIAN/BUILDER friend always swears by Renault = Opel/Vauxhall/Fiat/Nissan vans - all the same model basically ----because of their suspension comfort- designed with all those French back roads in mind perhaps?
However there may be subtle market differences so this might be of interest

Trafic---Third generation (X82; 2014–present)

Renault released a new generation in 2014. It is again sold by Opel in Europe. Fiat introduced new van called Talento in 2016 (to replace its Scudo van), based on Renault Trafic. Production was centralised to the Sandouville factory in France for Renault and Nissan; Opel/Vauxhall variants for the UK and mainland Europe continue to be manufactured at GM Manufacturing Luton, except for the high-roof variants which are manufactured at Sandouville. This new model drops the previous larger-capacity diesel engines in favour of a 1.6 Energy dCi (Renault)/CDTI (Opel) engine. Two lower-power variants (90 PS and 120 PS) utilise a variable-geometry turbocharger, while the highest-output (140 PS) variant employs a twin-turbocharger arrangement; other features include variable-output water and oil pumps and a maintenance-free timing chain.

Last edited:
I'm driving this at the minute, absolutely love it;

I was going to post a picture. Imagine SPX' Van with a Renault badge.....

Today has gone better than expected. My only negative comment is the seat does not adjust as much as I would like. I'd likely go for a crew cab to keep some family flexibility, which deals with that point....

ETA - that steering wheel much nicer than the Renault....

How big does it need to be?
Have you considered a double cab 4x4 pick up with a snug top?
L200's, Navaras, HiLux. Isuzu & Amorok can be kitted out with leather/auto/cruise/satnav/reversing camera & the ability to cross a field if necessary.
My L200 doubles up as occasional family car if we need to carry 5 and is a good towing vehicle.

It does not need to be massive, but does need to be secure, and I have a possibly unjustified dislike of the 4x4 pickups....

The Volvo is 2wd, and gets me most places that I need to be in terms of off-road. I guess I would think about the Amorak, but I'm not keen....

This is today's van....

14690880_10208849465608753_3580852781250896513_n_zpscisbx0sn.jpg

You don't get anything like that from a 4x4:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom