New Wheels! Cheap Tyres! Old Ones Up For Grabs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
I am pleased to say that I have now sourced a matched set of 18" AMG Monoblocks for my 1997 C230K Sport! :D

They are:

18" 8J ET31 front, running 225/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD-3 Tyres
18" 9J ET35 rear, running 255/35/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD-3 Tyres

After about an hour on the phone, I managed to get the price for the tyres (fitted and balanced etc) down from over £700 :eek: to an amazing £499 all in!!! :devil:
Anybody on here who has bought tyres like these will no doubt agree this is pretty much as cheap as they get!
Even importing them from mytyres was way over £500 without fitting, and most tyre places wouldn't bother quoting when they asked about the lowest current quote (about £580 to start with)
Even the cheapest recognised tyre dealers (eg Micheldever etc) would not budge on about £540.
I got them down to about £540, and then popped into my local tyre dealer, and he managed to come out a hefty chunk cheaper! :D :D :D

Wheels are now fitted to the car, look brilliant, and I am happy. A perfect fit, especially as my car has had the "AMG shell modification" (it was specified and ordered with 17" AMG Monoblocks from new!)

So, the tyres that were on the wheels when I bought them may go on ebay soon, unless anybody here needs a set? I also have a few more Merc wheels/tyres from time of Mercedes ownership (and swapping wheels around! :p )

They are:

2x 235/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD-3 Front (Good tread, about 5mm evenly-worn IIRC)
2x 265/35/18 Avon ZZ1 Rear (Not brilliant, have typically worn more in centre than on the shoulders, but should be good for a few more miles)

I may also be ebay-ing the original 17" AMG wheels (7.5" all round, running 225/45/17 tyres)
The tyres need replacing, and the wheels ideally need a refurb (about £30 a wheel, finish has deteriorated, and a few cosmetic curb marks). They are, however, genuine AMG, and would have cost ££££ new from the stealership.

I also have a set of C-class steels (with 195/65/15 tyres of some brand)
I think I also have a couple of 255/40/17s and 4 225/55/16 lying at the back of the garage! (have to check what they are like!)

If anybody is interested, then I may put an ad in the classifieds.

Cheers,

(Happy) Will :D

Hi Will,

That is an amazing deal on your tyres. Similarly though, I got better quotes from a few local large tyre places, than some of the smaller fitters I have used previously. Getting a pair today though (realised one was embrassingly bald) I could only bargain down to £270 all inc and fitted for 2 x F1 245 17's.

Anway, how much do u want for the C-Class steels?

How much tread is left etc and where abouts in Surrey you are?

I am after a really cheap set just so primarilly I can get my 17" AMG's refurbed, without having to borrow anyone elses or figure out what other Merc offsets will fit my car. It's a nice plan to have Winter set too, but think I would perhaps get frustrated but our unpredictable weather and what months to use them!

EDIT: oh for this to work I would need C-Class bolts the right length for steels - do you have them too?!

Last edited:
Hi Graham,

I'll have to check out the tread etc on the wheels/tyres. I do know however that they went through an MOT a few weeks ago! I do have the wheel bolts as well.

I know you say that you don't want to have to borrow wheels etc, but if you are getting your wheels refurbished then you are more than welcome to borrow them for a couple of weeks (believe me, on a C230K you won't want 195 tyres on it for long!)
At least they are proper C-class wheels (correct width and offset, right size tyres etc)

Like you say, it is good to have something as a spare set - and that is what these have been until now. Trouble is, I have just had a PM regarding the spare AMG 17s that I have - so I am not 100% sure what is happening at the moment, if you know what I mean. Give us a couple of days to sort something out, but I may end up getting rid of them anyway :confused:
But if you just need to borrow a set, the offer is there regardless.

BTW, I am near Hampton Court - so 5 mins J1 M3 or A3. Not a million miles away!

Cheers,

Will

how much do you want for the 17" AMG alloys in need of tyres/refurb?? thanks
jack

Jack,

PM Sent,

Will

Please PM me too with details of the amg's. An offset may also be handy.

Thanks

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom