New wheels confused with choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrhanky

MB Enthusiast
Car
Superb 3.6 4x4 & W221 S500
Chaps

I really need some help and ideas please. Ive been unhappy with the look of my current Brabus wheels inside my arches. I pretty sure they have an unsuitable offset for my W211.

Am I right in thinking my E55 would have had the following offset : front et30 and rear et39?

Can you guys suggest some alternative wheels and where to source them from please. I dont mind buying second hand from ebay but when you fact or in a full refurb is it worth buying used.

I am running after market 19" ET 35 all round.

I will get a picture over the weekend for you.

Ive seen some sets of what must be replica / fake amg wheels on ebay for £500. I assume these are cheap because they metal used is low quality / not forged and I could expect it to buckle at the slightest look at a pot hole?

The reason I looked at them, is I thought I could get some as a stop gap but dont want to take any safety risks.

Ive had a set of OZ wheels in the past and they where very good quality. What peoples views of after market wheels and designs.

19" CLS AMG III wheels look great on a 211.

They fit straight on, and their ET (25F 28R) means that they protrude slightly, especially at the rear, giving the car a lovely stance.

E Class sized tyres of 245F 275R was my choice, though the 255F/285R from the CLS will fit.

Hopefully this album link will work:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members/developer-albums-19-wheels-added.html

Hi Mrhanky

Hard to say for certain without checking been a while... but I think the ET for my wheels are, front 8.5j ET10 and 10j ET20 rear.

They are just past flush with the arch on the back and flush on the front.

If you need a certain answer I can take a look for you. ;)

Heres a few pics.

image-2091723679.jpg

image-413788558.jpg

image-383983281.jpg

It's a very personal thing about what looks right and lots of things come into play, but for me the best stance on an E55 comes with using 8.5" ET 30-35 fronts and 9.5" ET 30-35 rears.

I have 2 sets of wheels, my winter set are 18" 8.5" ET30 / 9.5" ET33 AMG III's. They are actually the standard fitment for the SL55, but were an option on the E55 over the standard 8" ET30 / 9" ET39.
18" AMG III wheels in Sterling Silver - Alloy Wheels Direct (44117)

My other set, as currently fitted to my car are BBS LM's 8.5" ET32 and 9.5" ET32, so within a couple of mm's to the AMG's. Both sets give to my eyes the perfect look. Lots of people fit CLS fitment but personally I think they project slightly too far. My car is fitted with a Renntech lowering module and even just lowered slightly my wheels only just clear the arches so I reckon the CLS fitment would rub, especially at the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 64
Mrhanky said:
Chaps I really need some help and ideas please. Ive been unhappy with the look of my current Brabus wheels inside my arches. I pretty sure they have an unsuitable offset for my W211. Am I right in thinking my E55 would have had the following offset : front et30 and rear et39? Can you guys suggest some alternative wheels and where to source them from please. I dont mind buying second hand from ebay but when you fact or in a full refurb is it worth buying used.
Alex has got a nice set for sale!:)

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

simon1966 said:
They certainly are a lovely set of wheels, but I think they are now sold Bruno.
not surprised what a bargain!!:)

I've got my polished Brabus wheels and tyres for sale.

Nice wheels, too blingy for my tastes but on the right car would look epic.

Alex has got a nice set for sale!:)

Yes those BBS LM's are very tasty wheels and no surprises they are already sold.

I must admit I like BBS wheels alot but find the prices a little high.

Having discussed wheel with a supplier they have suitably put me off the quality of fake wheels.

My issue is I would like to go upto 19's but when factoring in tyres and wheels Im looking at £3k plus.

I have the funds allocated for some building work at home, so dont think SWMBO would like it if that was spent.

Thinking perhaps as a stop gap some hub centric spacers would be the best way to get the look. Then when Ive saved up again I can get some wheels I really want.

I really haven't had a issue yet, 2 years and no cracks.

If I do have a crack I will just buy a new set, so cheap :D

My tyres cost more, Goodyear A2.

Well the spacers where a fail. The only type I would use are hubcentric solid alloy. They fit the Brabus wheels perfect but won't go over the hub.

I could modify them but then they won't be hubcentric spacers.

Looks like there is no easy solution, other than live with them as is. To give you an idea of the issue the ET of the front wheels are 50! Stick is 30. Didn't get to the rears but they will be a lower offset to the fronts.

Here are the pictures.

Here is a picture of the 18s that came with the car when I bought it.

Front: 18x8.5, ET35
Rear: 18x9.5, ET35
Colour: Gunmetal with polish face
Design: CL63 Style

18s look to small... here are the 19s.

Front: 19x8.5, ET35
Rear: 19x9.5, ET35
Colour: Gunmetal with polish face
Design: CL63 Style

Hope this helps.

Found out the issue with spacers, it was due to the hub design on the E55 being longer than most cars. A spacer without a hubcentric lip would have worked and there would still be enough hub protruding to centre the wheel.

I decided in the end to take Raymonds advice and go for some non oem wheels ,but 19's instead of 18's. Its cost more in tyres which is a pain as they where brand new a few months ago.

However I will get the offset look I want and Im sure 19's will look very smart. I can then decided next year whether to go for OEM Brabus or AMG wheels next year.

Im sure my old genuine Brabus wheels and nearly new tyres will sell on ebay. If not I might keep them as spares.

With the 18s I ran 5mm spacers on the front, only because the hub cap kept pushing the centre caps off. Again no problems and everything was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom