New wifi router purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash59fifty-uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C204 C63, VW Transporter
Hey peeps. A slight rant/advice needed post...

Past 14 months or so my wifi has been dreadful, especially on my iPhone and Samsung devices. My TV's wifi connection seems okay, 70% of the time it's great but every other day I'll have to reconnect the tv to the wifi for it to work (Netflix/Amazon 4K) Online gaming very rarely have problems

So anyway, last night. Precisely midway through the Haye fight actually, my internet cuts out. Thinking it would come back on in ten minutes like usual, it didn't. I have a BT homehub 4, and tonight there seems to be no power to it now whatsoever, no lights. Nothing

Safe to say it's ready to be hurled at the wall finally. I've decided not to go and cry to BT for a modern hub, or have them restart the contract for a smart hub, so I've been looking at some other routers

Have found this TP Link product which seems decent-
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tp-link-a...&ranSiteID=ORHQW7E8X5A-OMfBqKd0D_o2Adon653DsA

Ideally want it from somewhere I can go and buy later today, as I'm not tethering my TV to my iPhone another night. I can order from Amazon, but they can't deliver till after 6pm

Unless there is a more recommended upgrade, will this be alright for me?

My BT package is Infinity 2 unlimited. I stream everything to my tv via wifi, online gaming on Xbox one via Ethernet cable.

As well as the (now dead piece of ****) hub, there's a smaller white box that it's plugged into, which I assume goes to the line connector in the wall. Will this upgrade essentially replace both items? Or will I need to just simply swap the hub with the upgrade and plug that into the white box?

I'm not fussed about setting up fancy DNS or route settings, I'd just like to plug it in and work, like the Home hub used to. Perhaps the ability to play with the bands so my iPhone/Android devices don't continually disconnect, would be the only advanced thing I'd like to get working

Feel free to flame me if all that seemed like a noob request, I just want wifi that works! There's home hub 5's and smart hubs all over gumtree and Facebook for £20-£60 compared to BT's extortionate prices, but I'd like something more reliable than anything stamped with BT

I never had problems with Virgin at a previous address, my girlfriend is with Sky and absolutely no problems on her wifi. Only BT is available where I live

There are a few things going on here. Whilst you say wifi is bad is it actually the wifi that is bad or is it your router which has building wifi that has a dodgy power supply? I mean when it is running is it running well or do you actually also have wifi issues.

It is a little unclear what the white box is that it is plugged into. Is it a BT Openreach broadband modem? If so a replacement router would just be plug and play by putting the Ethernet cable into it. If it's not then it is rather important to know what it is.

It could make all the difference to know what you will be buying. I mean if you have a modem then you don't need one built into the router.

But likewise you need to be clear whether the issue is with wifi or whether it is with powering you BT home hub. Don't forget that when you buy a replacement it does all the wifi speed required for your devices.

I swapped my BT Home Hub 3 for a Home Hub 4 because I wanted a dual-band router. Big mistake.

While the HH3 was pretty solid in terms of uptime, the HH4 was pathetically poor and looking at the logs, I could see it was randomly restarting itself every few hours. BT provided a replacement, which was equally bad. BT finally said that the problem was caused by having too many devices connected to it (I have a SONOS system, smart TV, smart PVR, PC's and a number of mobile devices that are normally connected) and suggested that if I disconnected some of them it would be fine :rolleyes:

After a bit of research, I replaced it with the Netgear D7000 as linked in wemorgan's post above which is probably the best home wifi router I've ever had. Wireless throughput is good, albeit bettered in terms of ultimate wifi connection speed by some other routers, but the real benefit is that it provides an absolutely rock solid WAN connection. Current uptime on my one is 1,629hrs and that's only because I restarted it when I updated the firmware a couple of months ago. I have a total of 15 devices connected to it concurrently, some wired via a switch, and others wirelessly and get good performance on them all. Thoroughly recommended.

BTW, the smaller white box that you have your HH4 plugged into is a separate Broadband Modem and not actually necessary with your HH4 which has in inbuilt VDSL ADSL2+ modem and could plug directly into the wall socket. The Netgear D7000 will replace this and give you a one-box solution that plugs directly into the wall socket.

Last edited:
Have you had a good look for what local infrastructure is available, might even be FTTC or FTTP (Fibre to the cabinet or to the premises) also worth looking to see when your local exchange will be unbundled as in other suppliers than BT.
Most BT engineers us the following to check exchanges etc!! .... https://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker and for speed checking they tend to use ...Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.
I prefer Draytek Vigor Routers with a BT Broadband extender system to get good speeds all through the building. The additional white box is probably the micro filter they do go on the blink and often a new one will sort things....
Hope this helps

Also worth looking at powerline adapters between the router and the TV, I've recently done that in place of BT dual band wireless dongles from our BT Smart Hub and our PC's, it's loads better. There are 500mb and 1 Gb adapters, I got the 1 Gb versions (BT mini connectors, expensive from BT but loads cheaper on Ebay) from a number of manufacturers. Also now have BT TV connected via the same, and the internet TV stations (including HD) are good. Gets away from wireless as the router and TV/PC are ethernet connected via the earth and neutral wires of the mains wiring.

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm going to check out that first one linked in the reply that looks decent. I couldn't find the one I linked in stock anywhere apart from online order :eek:

I actually woke up this morning and everything was working? :dk:

It is definitely BT's equipment that is providing the wifi problems, it's terrible so much to the fact it puts you in a mood when you notice it happening

The white box is an open reach box, I don't think mine is an FTTC connection

I currently also have x2 TP link home plugs running, one for the PC and one for my Xbox. The TV was only recently purchased around Xmas and I don't have any wall plugs remaining to link up more plugs. They are bloody brilliant though! I'd have them all over if I could

Although it is now back on and working, I'm definitely ordering a replacement. It hadn't behaved like this before, usually the lights would go orange and a few minutes later be back on but last night there was no response or life from the router at all. BT want so much money for their latest hub, I'd rather spend more for something superior and reliable

BT never help, they say an engineer can come out to take a look however, if it's not a problem down to them then I politely get charged £129 on my bill!

Just checked stock for the D7000 and they have it in stock locally too :thumb:

Thanks guys, will report back after using it for a while. Can't wait to have a decent connection

I currently also have x2 TP link home plugs running, one for the PC and one for my Xbox. The TV was only recently purchased around Xmas and I don't have any wall plugs remaining to link up more plugs. They are bloody brilliant though! I'd have them all over if I could

Although it is now back on and working, I'm definitely ordering a replacement. It hadn't behaved like this before, usually the lights would go orange and a few minutes later be back on but last night there was no response or life from the router at all. BT want so much money for their latest hub, I'd rather spend more for something superior and reliable

BT never help, they say an engineer can come out to take a look however, if it's not a problem down to them then I politely get charged £129 on my bill!

Two questions from me related to this answer.

1. I have a TP Link thingy working downstairs (the router is upstairs) and it does work really well but it's on a different signal/password from the main router so that I have to re-configure my phone and iPad as I move around the house. Is there a way to circumvent having to do that? Please don't tell me to stand still :rolleyes:, my cell signal here is so bad that I make calls via wifi and as my phone is in my pocket it goes where I go.

2. Is there a recommended hi-power router that would replace the BT Infinity5 so maybe allowing me to dispense with the TP link?

Last edited:
You need to grab a mate ....

You need to grab a mate who knows his stuff to climb over your set-up.

It would help to understand what speeds you "think" you've bought,
what speeds you think you get at the router,
and what speeds you think you get around the house via WIFI.
I'm assuming your TV picks up a WIFI signal from the router and is NOT hardwired to the router.

That router you've chosen should be improve the speed of your Wifi transmission, for sure, but if these other points are the underlying problem, there are bigger gains to be had.

Keeping it simple

1) It could be your BT Infinity connection. As you probably know, BT reduce (throttle) line speed at busy times, and often falls over completely. It would help to know what linseed is happening at the router (i.e. BEFORE the wifi).

Someone needs to run some regular, wired, line speed tests to see what those "Awfully Nice Chaps" at BT are actually supplying you, at the times you want to use the system.

2) You may have dreadful internal wiring from the entry point to the building to the actual routing. This can degrade the signal and interfere at different points. I know people within one Apartment block who can have up to a 75% lower speed on BT Infinity JUST because of obsolete multipoint, and cack-handed phone wiring within their own apartment.

Someone needs to track the wiring through to your router and simplify it if necessary.

3) You may have an interference problem from other routers (i.e. Neighbours) and domestic appliances.

Someone who can track signals (especially a MacBook user) can check what's going on and tweek your settings to avoid interference.

4) You may have blockages to the wifi signal - typically from concrete floors and tiled bathrooms.

Someone can track this with a notebook and a bit of nosing around.
The workaround is usually to put in a power line adaptor, and duplicate your wifi signal.

5) Your heavy load (the TV) may just been too far away from the router.

The workaround here is usually to put in a power line adaptor (TP Link are a brand leader) creating a quasi wired connection to your TV. Just understand that their headline speeds, like that headline speed of your router, are bull sheet. They give an indication of relative speed but nothing like the claim - and can vary a LOT according to your domestic power wiring.

For what it's worth, by comparison, I have a 1gig fibre line coming outside the building, with Cat5 giving 1gb at the router which degrades by 20% to 800mb at a wired connection. Wifi within 30 feet degrades 70% (to 300mb) and across floors degrades 80% (to 200mb). I use a power line adaptor to my Iplayer connection but I don't know what speed it gets - it's just fast enough for Netflix, Iplayer and films from my network drive. (The absolute numbers don't matter, it's the percentage degrade that's relevant.)

I would avoid going the hard cable route, unless you've got some special requirement - it can be troublesome to maintain and people tend to throw it out or rebuild it every few years. Better to stick with Wifi and power line adaptors.

Hope it helps, I've oversimplified - come back if you want me to clarify.

Last edited:
Avoid TP Link at all costs, they are terrible

If you budget allows it get a Draytek Vigor 2860 - They are about £255 but are worth every penny.

If you cant afford new look at a used one on ebay. They will support all connections from ADSL2 to FTTC FTTP and cable

If you are having issues with Wireless look to add a second Wireless Access Point in another location in the house - run a CAT5 / 6 cable from the router to the AP for the most reliable connection. Draytek do external APs that will mimick the main router Wireless SSID and allow roaming without having to have multiple wireless networks

If they are still to expensive some of the good netgears are worth considering. Or if you are felling like you want the best, get a Network guy in and a Cisco 800 Series router

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys, I'm going to check out that first one linked in the reply that looks decent. I couldn't find the one I linked in stock anywhere apart from online order :eek:

I actually woke up this morning and everything was working? :dk:

It is definitely BT's equipment that is providing the wifi problems, it's terrible so much to the fact it puts you in a mood when you notice it happening

The white box is an open reach box, I don't think mine is an FTTC connection

if you have no more power sockets left then you can also get power line home plugs with passthrough electric sockets. They are brilliant and is what I use; Devolo dLan 1200.

They are nice and fast, although granted the wiring to where my internet is leaves a little to be desired but it is fast enough to outperform my Internet connection.

Attachments

• 2017-03-05_13-52-56.jpg
    2017-03-05_13-52-56.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 8
Another endorsement for DrayTek.

Netgear stuff is OK but I've always found it more low-rent and I call it "Shedgear" as it is not in the same league.

I've never had any issues with DrayTek and I've supported and had a few different units.

Now got a 2760 but I would echo MIW's advice - ensure you are not dealing with an issue that no router will solve!

Had this almost ready and got interrupted by a phone call, so a belated comment re pass through adapters!

Just a small point re powerline adapters - the ones I have are "pass through", which means you plug it into the wall socket then can plug something into it as it has a 3 pin connection on the front. Mine also have 2 ethernet connectors on the top rather than 1, handy as wife's laptop and my desktop are close enough to allow ethernet to both from 1 powerline 1Gb adapter.

As the OP already has a couple of powerline adapters in use, cheapest potential try might be a pass through 1Gb powerline adapter before going the greater expense (and fun) of buying and configuering a new router.

Another endorsement for DrayTek.

Netgear stuff is OK but I've always found it more low-rent and I call it "Shedgear" as it is not in the same league.

I've never had any issues with DrayTek and I've supported and had a few different units.

Now got a 2760 but I would echo MIW's advice - ensure you are not dealing with an issue that no router will solve!

Yep they just dont go wrong

I am a Draytek authorised dealer along with all the other main brands right up through to Cisco and ISP level hardware. We will only install Cisco or Draytek.

For anything up to 10 users the Draytek is perfect, 10-1000+ users it would be Cisco or equivalent

wemorgan said:
I've always found netgear reliable and easy to configure. NETGEAR D7000 AC1900 Nighthawk VDSL ADSL2+ WiFi Modem Router | Maplin I then also have several repeaters, using the repeater Ethernet port for the tv NETGEAR AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender | Maplin Cheaper models and retailers are available.

Another vote for netgear D7000 nighthawk. Replaced our useless BT HH5 on infinity 2 and it's had a connection for one year and 2 months without dropping out. That's multiple devices on different MHz spectrums prob a dozen devices at least. HH5 was fine till you connected more than 3 devices at which point it would shat itself. Also BT hubs are useless with Xbox and constantly give you moderate NAT.

Like John, I've had too many problems with Netgear consumer kit lately (2 failed routers in 2 years), although their Enterprise switches have never caused me issues.

I run an Asus RT87 with Merlin firmware, that drives my supplier's cable modem. That covers the house no problem, I also have a TP-Link external long range TX that is modified into an AP, which covers the patio and garage. It's not the greatest but for £30 a pop it's disposable.

I have been losing my BtInternet service quite a few times overnight during the past couple of weeks. Each time I checked the service status phone line I got a recorded message stating they were 'upgrading their network' with an apology for any interruption.

The outages amounted to around 10-20 minutes each, but haven't had any for the past couple of days. Perhaps they really were making changes during quieter hours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom