New winter tyre tread depth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
I'm beginning my search for some winter tyres. New they are £40 for a budget brand or £60 for premium.

On Ebay a s/h pair is £60 +P&P with 6.6mm and 7.7mm. But how much tread was on these tyres when new?

I've recently read that in New Zealand winter tyres must have a minimum tread depth of 4mm, so with one tyre having 6.6mm I imagine I'd only get a season or two use.

Thanks for any advice.

ps. is it wrong to be talking about winter tyres in April? :)

Usually 8-10mm so possibly 50% worn?

Indeed. 50% worn for 50% price, hardly the bargain of the centuary.

Still plenty of time to keep on searching.

If your looking for a budget pair try Nankang SV2's from mytyres. I had them last winter and they were excellent in all conditions. I do 260 miles a week on my commute on mainly fast rural roads and found the grip to be very good and they have barely worn.

Second hand tyres? No thanks.

How have they been treated? Have they been curbed? Or hit a pothole?

I've recently read that in New Zealand winter tyres must have a minimum tread depth of 4mm,

That's normal in Europe too where winter tyres are required - they cease to "qualify" as winter tyres when worn to 4mm, the tyres have an extra set of treadwear indicators at 4mm.

Second hand tyres? No thanks.

How have they been treated? Have they been curbed? Or hit a pothole?

So when you buy a second hand car do you put a brand new set of tyres on straight away?

Nothing wrong with 2nd hand tyres, make sure you check them well before and after fitting, have had no problems over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom