Newbie - Ml55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sbk1972

Hi all,

Just brought a Ml55. Really pleased. Car does have some slight issues that need attention and I have a few questions :-

1) Fuel gauge works, then doesnt work. I filled it completely up twice and on the second fill the gauge worked so wondering if the sensor is dirty. Sensor is in the tank yes ? Access to the sensor via boot ? Anyone else had this issue ?

2) ODS / odometer is in KMs. I tested it, ie me and another car drove around after reseting the trip and its display KMs. How do I convert this back to miles ?

3) When I put the key in I get a spanner light up. Car needs a service which I plan to do. How does one reset all this ? On my E36 M3 I have some little tool that I plug into the diag port and press a button and its reset. Is this the same for Ml ?

4) Where can I get a NAv dvd / disk ? The command Nav requests a disk. Also, where is the disk player located ?

5) Only got one key. How do I get a second one ? Can I buy a second hand fob on ebay and program it to the car ? if so is this easy ? Where can I get the key recut ?

6) On the speedo, there is a light with LIM on it ? What does this do ?

7) There's s a green led on the mirror. with a button. I press the button the led switches off. What does all this do ?

8) Cigerette lighter doesnt work. Where are the fuses located ?

9) Head light washer jets. The pods dont seem to pop out. I hear the water pump working but im assuming the bumper pods raise and squirt ? Anyone had thius issue ? Is there a fix ?

10) I notice the Command has a phone option ? Do I needa sim card and slip it in ?

That's it :)

Any help above would be gratefully received to this new member of the AMG club.

Simon

1) Sensor is in the fuel pump. There's a reset workaround. Google for W163 fuel gauge problem. Common issue.
2) is it the one in the overhead dome lights? There is a button next to it. It changes the units.
3) See instructions attached.
4) Main dealer, ebay. Likely to be discontinued by now so won't be the latest maps. Facelift - slot above the screen. Prefacelift - top right button drops the screen revealing the slot behind.
5) Main dealer only as far as I'm aware.
6) Speed limiter to prevent oveespeed. Depress the stalk with LIM on it.
7) Reduces dazzling if driver behind has his high beams on.
8) One is under the bonnet to the right of the engine. Big black box. Another is the driver footwell near the door.
9) They stick and seize from lack of use. Some can still be cleaned others only replaced.
10) Depends if you have a telephone prewiring option. If you don't have a handset holder attached to the other side of the centre console, you can ignore this button.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 18
If the LIM light is on and won't go out when you click the stalk you will need to get it tied up to a diagnostic. It can be a faulty throttle sensor but before you spend money on a new one get the wd40 on it. Took 3 visits to get problem sorted on our old one.

Question chaps. Noticed that my radiator fan comes in alot. 5.5 is a big engine so must get hot. Did your old ml55 fan go on alot ?

Also. How do i look for p codes / diag codes ? Do i need special software

sbk1972 said:
Question chaps. Noticed that my radiator fan comes in alot. 5.5 is a big engine so must get hot. Did your old ml55 fan go on alot ?
Not that I noticed. Not heard of head problems with that engine, the motor and drive train are pretty bulletproof. That said, the service regime needs to be adhered to. Biggest problem with ML's of that era is the build quality and rust.....

I have been keeping an eye out for ML55s and this one was 6 miles from me!

When did that come up for sale?

It popped up on autotrader and i managed to buy it 30 mins after the advert was placed. Drove straight up and brought it. Nice seller too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom