Newbie thinking about an E55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham21

Car
E55 AMG
Hi Guys,

I'm new so be gentle. My first post.

I have owned many many cars over the years but never owned a Mercedes.

I have been looking for something with a big engine to use as a summer toy. Also something good for a Le Mans trip this year. To be honest I stumbled across the E55 purely by chance and since then the hunt seems to have taken over my life.

Just wondered if there is anything in particular I should be looking out for? I keep going back to the one below and hopefully going to try and get to see it this week once I speak to the chap but I know it is still for sale.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...lass-211-e55-amg-----------------2004/6949034

Any pointers would be great.

Graham

Looks a decent starting point.

If you search through some of the threads in this section you will find plenty of buying guides. Another good tip is to buy from a forum member (the one on PH may be a members car).

They are great cars, not really any horror stories cost wise (e.g. Suspension sorted on the car on PH), main buying advice is condition and good history (both MB and respected Indies))

Jules

Thanks, yes I spotted that one. Looks a really nice example. I only have £8k :-(

Keep at least £1k put aside for any possible problems .... if you can:D.
Make sure everything electrical actually works. Heated seats are expensive to fix.
You are probably aware the two weak points of the E55K are the airmatic suspension struts, valves and pump and the SBC brake pump.

Not much you can do to check the SBC pump other than ensure no warning messages appear on the dash. But start the car, put it on level ground and raise and lower the suspension on the button by the gearstick a few times to ensure all the corners raise and lower equally. Two red lights shows the car on the lowest setting.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I'm new so be gentle. My first post.

I have owned many many cars over the years but never owned a Mercedes.

I have been looking for something with a big engine to use as a summer toy. Also something good for a Le Mans trip this year. To be honest I stumbled across the E55 purely by chance and since then the hunt seems to have taken over my life.

Just wondered if there is anything in particular I should be looking out for? I keep going back to the one below and hopefully going to try and get to see it this week once I speak to the chap but I know it is still for sale.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...lass-211-e55-amg-----------------2004/6949034

Any pointers would be great.

Graham

Could probably bump them down to your 8k budget.

If it's a trader he probably gave 7k to the previous owner. He'll know his margins.

Don't be shy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom