Nice and affordable areas to live in Lincolnshire or nearby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gr1nch

Car
2017 W222 S350d AMG Line Premium Plus : Iridium Silver and Black Nappa
Hello ladies and gents,

It would be very helpful to get your views on nice areas to live, that are also affordable.

The wife and I are looking to move back to the UK this summer and settle down. We really liked Lincolnshire the few times we visited - the people and the hillier bits. We're also considering the neighbouring counties and will drop in on this trip if possible. Priorities are
* low crime
* strong sense of community (I'm a friendly, helpful type and aim to contribute)
* good for musicians / live music a plus!

For the actual house (a long shot, but in case you know of a good one!)
* a big garage & workshop or space for one ;-)
* 3-5 bed, 2+ baths, about 200m2

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Lincolnshire is a large county and depending on what you are used to most of it is likely to be considered "affordable" (a subjective term if ever there was one).

There are some lovely villages on the Lincolnshire Wolds in the north of the county, Lincoln itself has a lot to offer and if links to London are a requirement somewhere in the south of the county near to the A1 and / or a station on the East Coast Mainline could work well.

Personally, I would avoid anywhere by the sea as it is far from being the most attractive coastline in the UK and the towns are mostly run-down and bleak.

And avoid Scunnie !

It's a big place Lincolnshire and it also depends on the budget but there's no end of small villages with "close-knit" communities.

Nice and affordable areas to live in Lincolnshire or nearby?

...............move to S W France!!........................affordable, but depends on what you mean by 'nearby'.

Hello ladies and gents,

It would be very helpful to get your views on nice areas to live, that are also affordable.

The wife and I are looking to move back to the UK this summer and settle down. We really liked Lincolnshire the few times we visited - the people and the hillier bits. We're also considering the neighbouring counties and will drop in on this trip if possible. Priorities are
* low crime
* strong sense of community (I'm a friendly, helpful type and aim to contribute)
* good for musicians / live music a plus!

For the actual house (a long shot, but in case you know of a good one!)
* a big garage & workshop or space for one ;-)
* 3-5 bed, 2+ baths, about 200m2

You certainly can't beat North Lincs, for VFM. The Wolds area North of Lincoln has some wonderful villages, where the house prices are half of those in worse villages Cheshire.

As a bonus, you even get free air displays by the Red Arrows over you garden when they practice, not forgetting the odd Lancaster and Spitfire chugging by.

£300-400K will throw up plenty of places that fit your bill. So with a larger budget you could get very choosy.

The problem though is the Music.

Lincoln itself is your best option for that. Let's face it, you need to be around Universities to get the music. If you can travel a bit further for it, then Sheffield, Nottingham, Hull, (and even Leeds) can all be within an hour.

There are some small 'hot spots', like Louth, Horncastle etc. but maybe a bit more tricky to 'get accepted' in some of these less cosmopolitan places.

Oh, I've forgotten Skegness. If you're into 70's weekends, and endless tribute acts, well look no further.

For me this could be an interesting thread, my wife and i have been thinking of where to move too when we retire. We saw Location, Location, Location on tv and Lincolnshire looked really nice. Our problem is we don't know anything about the best places to live.

gr1nch said:
Hello ladies and gents, It would be very helpful to get your views on nice areas to live, that are also affordable. The wife and I are looking to move back to the UK this summer and settle down. We really liked Lincolnshire the few times we visited - the people and the hillier bits. We're also considering the neighbouring counties and will drop in on this trip if possible. Priorities are * low crime * strong sense of community (I'm a friendly, helpful type and aim to contribute) * good for musicians / live music a plus! For the actual house (a long shot, but in case you know of a good one!) * a big garage & workshop or space for one ;-) * 3-5 bed, 2+ baths, about 200m2 Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
What about work. Have you retired or do you need to be near a particular city?

. .

Last edited:
What about work. Have you retired or do you need to be near a particular city?

Ah, good point, sorry I forgot to add that. Will be either retired or semi-retired, no pressing need to be near large towns, though we liked Lincoln.

FWIW, we were looking at houses in Lincolnshire about 3 years ago. We looked over most of the county, except the very North, but ended up buying a bungalow with 1/2 acre in one of the Grantham villages. It's a lovely quiet village, not too far from Grantham and close to transport links. It's also quite hilly in that area for Lincolnshire. For the music, you'd probably have to travel to Lincoln, Nottingham or Newark, but until you live in an area, you don't really get to find out all the local scene.

Oh, I've forgotten Skegness. If you're into 70's weekends, and endless tribute acts, well look no further.
That sounds pretty good!

Seriously (actually, it still sounds good, but I'd prefer playing in a tribute band rather than watching one), I really appreciate all the tips and thoughts. It's helping.

We've got about 20 houses so far to look at in 7 days all over in town and country, from Grantham to Scunthorpe to Lincoln, all within the £250-350k range.

Btw how come no one has anything good to say about Scunthorpe? The name is a bit ugly, but surely the are redeeming features?

Just a word of caution if I may. There are two reasons East Anglia is cheaper than other places: 1 - accessibility, 2 - the weather. Roads and rail services are poor and unreliable. Living in Norfolk as I do, you sometimes feel you're right off the edge of the world. Also the East Coast and its environs tend to have the worst of the English weather - winters here can be very bleak indeed. Why this should be so when the prevailing UK wind is westerly is beyond me.

Also the local football is crap! (current Lincoln City excitements aside)

Last edited:
I grew up in Lincoln and have only moved one county south since then. As other have said it's a big county from North Lincolnshire (Scunthorpe, Brigg) and NE Lincolnshire (Grimsby, Cleethorpes) through to Lincoln itself and market towns such as Louth and Horncastle to the east and Grantham and Sleaford to the south. There are some beautiful places around these last two towns and Grantham is right by the A1.

I would perhaps avoid Spalding/Boston but that's my choice. Stamford is also in Lincolnshire but is pricey as it is the go-to place for people who consider themselves too posh for Peterborough.

Around Lincoln itself you'll find many lovely villages - those uphill tend to be more expensive than downhill and most of the decent traffic routes are centred on Lincoln so accessibility is now pretty good. Since the university arrived in the early 90s the city has improved immensely and is now quite cool, whilst still retaining it's charm.

If I were to give you a list based on your criteria I'd look at villages situated just outside Lincoln, Sleaford, Grantham, Stamford in that order. I'd not rule out Market Rasen, Louth or Horncastle either.

Cheers

Lincolnshire is not East Anglia.

Quite so, That would rob Lincolnshire of Ousefleet, where on OS Landranger map 112, grid reference SE830220, is the most featureless one square kilometre in the land.

If I were to give you a list based on your criteria I'd look at villages situated just outside Lincoln, Sleaford, Grantham, Stamford in that order. I'd not rule out Market Rasen, Louth or Horncastle either.
Jocky, thanks for the list! The house's we've got are really scattered about all over Lincolnshire really, but we'll have a good look at these towns. Some we already know of and a few we stopped by years ago, but you've lucky hit on our preference for market towns. Small villages better for us than cities. Like many folks here, we want a quiet home life with, as the world seems to be always getting madder(!), as much harmony around us as we can get.

Up in Skegness having viewed a few houses in Grantham and the Spilsby area today. Its nice up here

I live in North Lincs a few mile from the Humber bridge in between Brigg and Scunthorpe.
In a very small village with no shops,pubs but we have a post box and a Church.... lol
I wouldn't change it for the world, fields all around, 1 neighbour 100 yard away, most days no cars or people going past. So quiet and peaceful.
I lived in Leeds all my life and couldn't get used to it here at first!
Don't let people give you the don't move to scunny crap.... there is some lovely villages on the outskirts. Good look wth your search
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom