Nice easy way to power a dash camera in a w205

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
I thought I'd share how I wired my dash camera in my W205 sport line.
The power lead plug supplied with the camera would not allow the lid to shut on the cubbyhole on the centre consul. I decided to use one of the USB slots instead. I bought a long USB 'A' to USB 'B' cable but initially it conflicted with data on the camera, after a little research on Google I found out how to adapt the cable to power only:
Make an incision in the cable about an inch long, carefully cut through and remove the silvery wire screen to create an inch long gap, then carefully expose the 4 wires (white green black red) cut the white and green wires only, snip them at the direction of the 'A' USB connector, this should leave the white and green wires about 1 inch long, remove a little of the insulation and twist the bare wires together, (this will short out the data part of the USB cable).
Fold the wires back towards the USB 'B@ small end and tape up with electricians tape. The Red and Black wires now also need wrapping in electricians tape to strengthen the weekend area. The camera will now be powered via the USB socked with no conflict of data. The connection automatically switches on and off with the ignition, with about 20 seconds delay on turning off. I positioned the camera (transcend 220) just to the left of the rear view mirror as high as possible, I ran the cable over the mirror mount, tucked it up behind the head lining, down inside the drivers windscreen pillar and behind the door rubber, back across under the dash where it tucks up nicely, then I fed it into the small gap along the lower edge of the centre consul where it joins the carpet right along to the back end of the centre consul and up into the back edge of the arm rest, the door shut ok and you can only see a very small bit of wire where it exits the join of the centre consul and carpet up to the arm rest.
The USB cable needs to be 3.5 metres long. I used a 2.5 and an extension as the first one I bought was not quite long enough.

Have you got any photos ioweddie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom