nice return trip south to north

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paddcomp

Car
E320CDI Avantgarde Estate S211
This is how a cross country trip should be. Guildford to Preston.

I assume that wasn't in your E320 CDi. I get far better consumption figures in my 3.5 litre petrol engined saloon at those sort of average speeds and distance. Even my 1999 CLK 230K was more economical cross-country from the Welsh Valleys to Peterborough:
2304307721_4ccfd59528_m.jpg

It wasn't the MPG that caught my eye, it was the time. 3hr50min on a 263 mile return trip averaging 69mph. Night drive or very lucky with traffic?

I had a e350 petrol to drive in the US all last week. I'm not sure if it was their low RON fuel or that it had done 34K "Hertz" miles, but I really wasn't very impressed by the engine performance or smoothness. Given how good everyone says the E350 petrol is, it might have just been a hire car issue. Oh and it's very weird to drive the same model with the steering wheel on the "wrong" side.

It wasn't the MPG that caught my eye, it was the time. 3hr50min on a 263 mile return trip averaging 69mph. Night drive or very lucky with traffic?

It was the traffic, I'm not that good honest.

I assume that wasn't in your E320 CDi. I get far better consumption figures in my 3.5 litre petrol engined saloon at those sort of average speeds and distance. Even my 1999 CLK 230K was more economical cross-country from the Welsh Valleys to Peterborough:

Yes it's the E320 CDI nice car but poor economy, reading other threads this isn't uncommon.

I did Colchester to Darlington and back on Thursday in my CLS 350 CDI. Approx 500 miles, av speed 62 (it was raining all the way back) and mpg was 49.9

There has to be something amiss with your car, this is my supercharged 5.4 V8 on a run;

And this was my 57 plate E320 CDI Sport:

Here's my two and a half ton, 4.0 Twin-Turbo CDI ML:

I did Colchester to Darlington and back on Thursday in my CLS 350 CDI. Approx 500 miles, av speed 62 (it was raining all the way back) and mpg was 49.9

That sounds pretty good mpg! 3 litre diesel V6 engine?

Yep 3.0 CDI. I used Shell Power and I am conviced it is more economic on a run despite costing more. Before the trip I was almost on empty and it cost £ 99 to fill !!!

Yep 3.0 CDI. I used Shell Power and I am conviced it is more economic on a run despite costing more. Before the trip I was almost on empty and it cost £ 99 to fill !!!

Well I think 50mpg from a 3 litre diesel engine is pretty impressive. I've had that economy once or twice with my car, but one has to work at it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom