Night vision w204

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dleybourne

Hi. I am new to the forum and soon to be the proud owner of a new c350 CID estate.

When I was looking at the possible options to add on to the car I was disappointed that keyless go and night vision were not available. Anyway from looking at the forum it would appear that keyless go is a non starter but cannot find info on the night vision.

I was thinking that I could add a small camera by the rear view mirror and connect it to he aux video input on command online. I would need to add video in motion. I also need to affix some ir LEDs to the front of the car.

Anyone got any comments or tried it before that could give me some advice?

Many thanks.

David

Hello David, sorry I can't help with your questions, however, welcome to the forum.

Welcome.

Me, I just swap the prescription Oakleys over from dark tinted to clear and switch the xenons on when it gets dark.

Well you could do it assuming you dont have any option that already uses the video input. You will need coding via STAR to activate it. You would need to manually select the video input when required. A camera behind glass wont work well and you will get glare. Also the VIM interfaces cut the gps signal so you wouldnt be able to use the nav function at the same time.

I was hoping to get the camera close up to the screen and maybe have a shield/guard around it( similar to the setup Mercedes )

It's a shame there is not an addition facility to split screen s you can have navigation and camera output.

I might just give it a go and try it out on a temporary screen, as I was also thinking about getting it projected up onto the windscreen in some form of heads up display way.

Thanks for your comments and I will post comments and photos when I get the car and around to do it.

The night-view camera is "behind the glass" on the 221 and 212 anyway. But it needs an area at the glass prepared for the camera (no IR blocking layers etc.).

Also the display at the centre of the car is useless during driving, even the 221 cluster view is not that easy to make use of.

I also need to affix some ir LEDs to the front of the car.

I think you're underestimating the complexity of the OEM system, which I don't believe is available on the W204. The W221 S-Class system uses a pair of powerful infrared lamps, not just a few IR LEDs.

Turn your headlights on and drive at a speed appropriate to your forward vision. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom