Nissan GT-R Flips Into Crowd At Nürburgring Race, One Dead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Grim. Only last night I was reading about the 10+ deaths a year on the Nordschleife.

Looks like a downforce problem like Mark Webber's CLR

That's the problem when you have a crest such as Flugplatz or the one on the Mulsanne. The aerodynamics that have been pinning the car to the floor can suddenly act as a large lifting airscoop due to the change of attack angle.

If the speed is low enough, the weight overcomes the lift generated. If you're at high speed (Flugplatz is 140+, Mulsanne Vmax) that's no longer the case, and around she goes.

Grim. Only last night I was reading about the 10+ deaths a year on the Nordschleife.

Looks like a downforce problem like Mark Webber's CLR

I was there one weekend when there were 3 fatalities its a dangerous place.

As already posted you have to be very careful with your speeds, the downforce can soon change to lift if you expose the underside of the car and then there is no recovery you are in the hands of the gods

It's not called Flugplatz for no reason!

Dreadful that spectators were hurt and an ironic testament to how safe the cars are nowadays.

Shows that being a spectator can be more dangerous than being a competitor, especially if people place themselves is silly locations.

In the best possible taste, I hope the suspension of GT3 racing is sorted quickly. The 24hr is one of the world's greatest races, makes Le Mans look like an overnight drive for sissys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom