No Lock for a Key on Tailgate 2006 S203 C Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KeithJG

Car
Vauxhall Tourer
I have a problem ...going on a 24hr ferry ride to Spain and the inclination sensor/ tow-away sensor has to be deactivated.

I press the button on the dash and the red light blinks once, get out the car after locking other THREE doors and lock the Drivers door with the mechanical key as said in my handbook.

The thing is the tailgate is still unlocked and there is NO keyhole to lock it only seems to operate by Key Fob!!

So how can i disable the tow-away function and keep the car locked as i musn`t use the Key Fob?

The system is defeating it`s object ....:crazy:

Has my handbook given incorrect information and got it wrong ?......if i lock the door with the key the red light stays off but if i use the fob the red light flashes on and off which means the alarm is actuated OR is the tow-away function not working as required?

How do i check just get hold of the roof rails violently?:doh:

Anyone any ideas?

On my 2005 S203, one simply pressed the disable button and locked the doors as usual, with the fob. The alarm remains disabled until the car is locked again.

Oh and the key slot is next to the opening handle above the reg plate

Last edited:
Thanks for that.....

I have taken a pic of the handle for you to see and there is a blank plate over where the keyhole must of been. It is solid and not a plastic cover.

I am March 2006 so no idea of the reason to remove it!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170306-182030.jpg
    Screenshot_20170306-182030.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 27
There is always the possibility that the alarm siren is faulty… is it the original factory fitted alarm siren?
Or
The tailgate lock is not working… will the tailgate lock in the usual way with the remoter fob?

You could always unplug the tow-away sensor for the boat trip.
Example… https://www.google.com/search?q=w20...YTwy8LSAhUHLcAKHYBwCj0Q_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=_

Don’t know about your particular car but the emergency key blade is for locking or unlocking the door, it has no ability to arm or disarm the alarm or control the central locking, its purely a mechanical key blade for unlocking/locking the door lock.

Dec

There is always the possibility that the alarm siren is faulty… is it the original factory fitted alarm siren?
Or
The tailgate lock is not working… will the tailgate lock in the usual way with the remoter fob?

You could always unplug the tow-away sensor for the boat trip.
Example… https://www.google.com/search?q=w20...YTwy8LSAhUHLcAKHYBwCj0Q_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=_

Don’t know about your particular car but the emergency key blade is for locking or unlocking the door, it has no ability to arm or disarm the alarm or control the central locking, its purely a mechanical key blade for unlocking/locking the door lock.

Dec

Thank you for the help but i think you got the wrong end of the stick!

Everything works fine it was just the ability to lock the car after deactivating the tow away sensor.
My handbook is incorrect in it's explanation how to do.

I have now found out by reading on and on and on and on :rolleyes:

You press the tow away deactivate button then lock the car with all four doors closed ( not drivers) with the door lock button.......then get out and lock the drivers door with the emergency key........Done with no red light flashing.

If you press the tow away button then lock all the doors with the remote it cancels out the tow away sensor and resets the alarm as the red light flashes.

As my model doesn't have the tailgate key lock it has a very small plastic cover on the inside of the door under which the emergency lever is to release the rear door.

Why MB don't use the same locking procedures for all models is beyond me!

Last edited:
That’s a very odd way of doing it;
I just press the tow-away deactivate button.
Button light illuminates.
I get out of the car.
Shut the door and lock with the remote, no metal key in the door lock.
The alarm light flashes 60 times a minute, as usual, to indicate the alarm is armed.
Same as normal locking procedure except I press the tow-away button once before exiting the car.

I know I have a different car but I think all MB alarms/locking function in a very similar way.

Dec

That’s a very odd way of doing it;
I just press the tow-away deactivate button.
Button light illuminates.
I get out of the car.
Shut the door and lock with the remote, no metal key in the door lock.
The alarm light flashes 60 times a minute, as usual, to indicate the alarm is armed.
Same as normal locking procedure except I press the tow-away button once before exiting the car.

I know I have a different car but I think all MB alarms/locking function in a very similar way.

Dec

FWIW both my C43's operated in that way as does my (2005) 211.

First, thanks for all the help and reply`s....

Having a wiped clean brain this morning i have discovered that in the handbook they use the word "key" they don`t say emergency key or ignition key just plain "key".....

So although the tow away light flashes once it doesn`t say it stays off or comes back on when locked!!

The way i mentioned how to do it by using the other door lock button as well as the tow away button is for emergency use only when the fob is kaput.

So all is now understood BUT i do think it is a language translation OR it`s me being old school and a key is a metal key as i used to cut keys in my job as a builder etc. now retired and almost 69yrs......so a bit of each i think to try and interpret the handbook.:bannana:

Attachments

• Page 76.jpg
    Page 76.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom