Noise cancelling headphones.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBIZA

Has anyone found an OK set?

The quality from 'phones is always better than plugs and I would prefer circumaural to supra (entirely round your ear rather than sitting on your ears) as they are comfier when you rest your head on something on a long distance flight/train/coach. In saying that, circumaurals with good padding and closed backs take out a lot of noise on their own, so dont really need noise cancelling kit as much too.

The best priced ones so far seem to be...

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1275

but they are supra' - though I unsure of how a my PDA would get on powering something that looks as beefy as....

http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...pid=SENN-HD280

although it seems all that is required is a 3.5mm to 2.5mm converter.

Some wireless ones looked a good bet and had their own power obviously - but I cannot see them going down well on planes.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review...iser-pxc450-noise-cancelling-headphones.phtml

these seem the best spec - and work as normal headphones rather than just dying when their power dies - but the cable is fixed into them and in the past I tend to trash cables.

But they are very new - and so there are no critical user reviews yet - and DABS has them discounted to 60% of MRP already!

One other option that would be useful - but i suspect is entirely unavailable - is a set that can have a boom mike for using in small aircraft.

Any suggections/recommendations?

Last edited:
I have a Sony set but like you have already suggested with a different brand. Noise reduction stops when the battery goes flat and I keep forgetting to turn it off. :eek: :eek:

John

I have a Sony set but like you have already suggested with a different brand. Noise reduction stops when the battery goes flat and I keep forgetting to turn it off. :eek: :eek:

John

Thanks.

I can see why the noise reduction would stop - but do you mean they stop working as headphones too?

There's a bunch of tests here, if the link works:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/search/?q=cancelling&magazine=all&section=all&m=all&as=yes&x=22&y=9

They only give the Bose QuietComfort 2's a score of 3, but not really clear why - perhaps that they don't work without the battery is a big issue?

I've got Bose QuietComfort 3's (they fit on, rather than around, the ear). I used them on a recent transatlantic flight and they are astonishingly good - the quality of the sound from the IFE system was almost as amazing as the noise cancelling. And the fact that you can still other people talking to you is really wierd!

I don't have any other noise cancelling headphones to compare them to, though.

Thanks.

I can see why the noise reduction would stop - but do you mean they stop working as headphones too?
Many apologies for not saying in my first post.

No they just work as normal headphones. They are okay for me, but I'm no expert on what's good and what is bad.

Good luck,
John

I have a set of Bose QC 2's which I bought specifically for a long haul.
They are brilliant, the cabin noise disappears to a faint background rumble. Not sure what the issue is about the battery. They take a single AAA and easily lasted the 16 hour round trip. I noticed I wasn't the only Bose wearer on the flight either ;)

This was before the QC3's came out but I still prefer the padded "full coverage" of the QC2's which, as already mentioned, mean you can prop your head on the corner of the seat and nod off without feeling if someone has been trying to pierce your ears when you wake!

The only down side of them in three years has been the build quality of the headband which I've had to take apart and repair once.

(ps they are also great for PC gaming)

I have QC3's and they are superb. I do a lot of long flights, and they make it bearable - I no longer have headaches after transatlantic flying!

They also come in very useful when working in loud computer datacentres (which I sometimes have to do). Except when working on classified computers, where security won't let you take electronic devices in... :-(

-simon

On a more serious note, though you comment about in ears, Etymotic ER6 (not the ER6i unless you like slightly overemphasized bass) are brilliant - had mine about 4 years now and will probably buy some more when they break. Not comfortable for everyone though, if you're thinking about spending Bose money you could probably get some custom made westones or shures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom