noisy steering after long drive ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Braincrank

Car
Mercedes 200E
Well, I can only go by what the wife says ...
Apparently it happened now a couple of times after a little drive that when the missus came back the power steering was making a racket similar to the noise when you turn all the way to max .
I personally haven't heard it yet but it did so again after she drove from West London to high Wycombe and back. It happened on the way back when she turned the steering.
The only thing I can think of is that it's got something to do with the power steering but I haven't got a Scooby-Doo where to start looking ...
The car is a 200E , auto , 124
Any ideas / info greatly appreciated !

The steering is still making that groaning noise after driving for a while ....
Any idea what that might be ? Are there any bearings in the power steering assembly that might do that noise once the fluid is at temperature?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check the power steering fluid level, maybe low.

Its likely any noise is coming from the power steering pump. You could try renewing the power steering fluid in the reservoir and renewing the filter that's in there to. You can use the turkey baster method to remove the fluid in the reservoir and replace it [ best to use the pukka MB stuff for that generation of car]-- not sure the newer stuff is compatible. Mercedes-Benz W124 Power Steering Filter Replacement and Flush | 1986-1995 E-Class | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article A complete fluid change/flush is slightly more complicated messy. Otherwise only other thing I can think of is the steering idler arm bush is partially seized [ fairly common] or one or more ball joints on the steering arms/transverse link have dried out /worn--- the ones nearest the exhaust get more heat stress from the exhaust altho they should have a little heat shield to protect them.

Mercedes-Benz Teilekatalog (Ersatzteile online)

Last edited:
i foggot the procedure on how to check PS fluid level, should I check after a drive and the PS oil is still hot or when PS oil is dead cold before I start the car for accurate reading?
there is a hot vs cold marking on front/back of the dipstick

i never check my oil it might be good to remember the check out procedure?

thanx

The fluid level is full . Have never changed it ....

Got to the bottom of it and it's sorted now !!
It was the rubber seal that the steering column runs through that sits in the bulkhead just above the pedals .
Although it's got a little heat shield next to it in the engine bay because of the exhaust down pipe but after 28 years it must have gotten a bit dry ....
It's all lubed and good as new .
I'm happy now (-:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom