noisy tappits on de-exccelaration/ vito09 115cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kai

Car
mercedes vito 115 2009
Hi

A concerning problem...
Recently when driving along more in 5th and 6th around 60mph more so when going Back down the revs the tappits I presume make a show of noise. Bit like a rattle but goes away around 1 and a half thou revs

Van has full service history but is on 100k. Also have just had flush through and new oil put in to hopefully solve it but no difference.

Anyone know or any advice on plan of action as the last thing I need is for it to go bang!!

Thanks

I doubt very much that it will be tappets. Does it do it when the vehicle is stationary? If it doesn't it Could be an exhaust clamp come loose or something.

if you dont hear metallic tick tick tick tick sound while at idle its not your tappets

Can you post a recording of the noise on Photobucket/YouTube?

Hi guys
Yeh it doesn't do it when idling just going down revs but not all the time. Could be something loose but sounds too uniform for that. I will get a recording for you pros. Failed so far on my phone, too noisy in the cab to capture. Have hatched a cunning plan for recorder in the engine bay on the way to work tomorrow..... We shall see if it works.
Stay tuned
Cheers :thumb:

Hi
What a palaver...Cable ties and my phone! The only decent recording I managed to get is on youtube under 'kct vito tick'. It's only short as the other recording was gash.... Done between two roundabouts... The tick starts at 2mins 30secs. If you have time check it out.
The more I try and work it out the more I learn, it's 2k revs down to 1800 in 6th seems to be the time it does it. Also still there on smooth road...
Thanks

:fail no worries. See what a mechanic sais.....cheers anyway :thumb:

2:27 to 2:33.

It does make a "tappety" sort of noise, but as it's only for that brief time I do not see how it could be.
l would suspect something loose, that given just the right combination of rpm & lack of load is able to rattle.
Will be interesting to learn what you learn please.

Stumped the michanic...but not sure how long he spent trying to work it out...if its not a quick job there not interested....said posibly the injectors like you animerc suggested. Did it effect the mpg with you?? If it was the injectors would this be a tell tell sign? Definitely getting worst I would say now and really don't think it's something loose. It's too precise when it happens... would love to hear more from you animerc what happened with you....cheers

Little ends? Just another option, especially if it's predominantly on overrun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom