now eVan has changed hands, is there ANY year-round european van insurance out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dame Dobbie

Car
Mercedes Benz Sprinter 208D
I wonder if there is such a thing anywhere other than with eVan - year round cover with no limit on european travel... I had this with eVan then Asda took over and now it's back to 90 day limit with them, or if I stay with eVan they want to put my premium up from about £400 to £1800 despite no change in circumstances/record. (Which I wonder whether that's legal ?)

It is driving me potty :wallbash: trying to find another insurer who'll do this at a reasonable rate - well ANYONE actually at all who'll provide this kind of cover other than eVan - I'm a private owner... maybe if I tried for a commercial policy I might have better luck.... We are meant to be part of Europe yet when it comes to things like this we are SO separate. :crazy:

Anyone got any bright ideas where I might look? I've trawled the web comparison sites - with no luck. :failBest I've found is something like 90 days per trip.

Help!!!!
The Dame

Our Vito is with CIS (Co-Op) who include European cover as standard. I don't believe there's a limit on it but you'd need to double-check this. Ours is also a personal use only policy, not commercial.

If your spending a lot of time in one particular country you could always try insuring the van locally there.

Mainland Europe Insurers are far more used to cars travelling between countries all the time so most dont see it as an additional risk

Our Vito is with CIS (Co-Op) who include European cover as standard. I don't believe there's a limit on it but you'd need to double-check this. Ours is also a personal use only policy, not commercial.
Thanks Bills - funnily enough CIS are the nearest to this that I've found but I think they'll only do me 90 days at a stretch so any longer than that and I'd have to trek back to the UK. They did ring me and leave a message today so they might have a better offer - fingers crossed, haven't had time to get back to them yet. Unfortunately Sprinters are treated as commercial vehicles when Vitos aren't. Must admit I look longingly at Vitos but my dear old Sprinter is a wonderful old gal and I can't ditch her before her time is up... I have heard tell of one that did over a million miles. So far my old girl is up to about 300,000 so at least she has done the equivalent to the moon (which is about 239,000) and is on the way back!
Many thanks for your help.

The Dame
PS I think they insure Vitos from their 'CAR' insurance section whereas my van is too 'big' and therefore gets totally different treatment from some other company that do the van insurance on behalf of CIS - Bollingtons or somesuch name. And yes, mine is a private insurance not commercial..... but now looking at Adrian Flux who apparently also do things a little differently... might cost more though.

Last edited:
If your spending a lot of time in one particular country you could always try insuring the van locally there.

Mainland Europe Insurers are far more used to cars travelling between countries all the time so most dont see it as an additional risk
Thanks for answering Kris - yes I looked into that too - but unfortunately, the country I'm mainly in outside of the UK is Italy and Italsure who do a lot of insuring UK plated vehicles here, won't touch the Dame as she is over 15 years old. Harrumph - and she's probably a lot more reliable than a lot of younger vehicles but there you go.

Thanks for the suggestion though...

the Dame

My Sprinter is insured with CIS as well, I have had no problems with them. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom