NTG 2.5 Freezes / dropping calls / unresponsive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sncooper

Car
SLK 350 2009
Hi, looking for advice on how to proceed, or who / how to contact Mercedes ..

I have been having problems with the Comand unit dropping Bluetooth calls, and locking up so that it will not play music from CD, DVD, SD card, Music Register - but the radio works.

Switching the ignition off/on does not help, although usually a few hours later works again.

Also I had them install an MB iPod kit, and this is really quiet compared to the SD card / Music register.

The first time I took my vehicle to Mercedes, they charged me for a diagnostic, and sent me the car back saying they had updated the software, this should solve it.

Unfortunately, this did not solve it The problems have continued for 4 months.

After searching forums, I thought I was onto something when I saw that there are software upgrades for my system (according to the Forums) that address these issues, and that it is called version 9.29 (01/2010.)

I checked what version of software I have - and it is very old .. version 8.13.

I printed out the forum posts showing the list of updates, and had a very frustrating conversation with the Service guys - first time they ignored the printout, the second time they came back saying they put my car on the STAR system and there are no updates for my car and the latest is 8.13.

Can this be correct ?

Also, I see that to get the latest maps, I read that I need firmware 01/2010 - and I want to buy the latest maps - but I am worried that if I buy them and they don't work then Mercedes will simply tell me they won't work on my car and I have wasted £150.

Any advice on what to do, as I am getting nowhere with this.
The last suggestion was to get the radio replaced under the extended warranty, but so far if has not gone wrong whilst it has been with them - it only goes wrong 1-2 times a week, so they cannot confirm there is a fault to send of for the warranty replacement.

Could it be that my car is simply too old, and it won't take the updates?

You need newer firmware to load the newer map. It says so on the map disk too.

You may also have a failing hard-disk as the problems you suggest are not those that I'd expect you to have.

Speak to Alfie at comand.co.uk - he can supply new hard disk (genuine, and automotive hard disks are different to standard ones because of the extra vibration and requirement for less heat generation) and update the firmware on the system etc.

The new hard disks come with newer maps but not the latest.

I think you may be looking in the wrong place for the firmware version. Look here
http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+APS+NTG2+5+FAQ-faq-14.html
which tells you how to look up the hardware/software version

Mine says
07/51/09/29/00

The 07/51 is the hardware design version, the 09/29 the firmware version.

If yours is indeed showing 09/29, then almost certainly you have a hard disk problem. The MB dealers tend to suggest replacing the unit at that point :-(

Cheers

Richard

PS, iPod is quiet. But when you select AUX, look at the menus at bottom of the screen, and there is one to boost the sound. The firmware update applies to all units, so if you have not got 09/29 (which means week 29, 2009) then they should be able to update it.

MB Manchester is owned by Mercedes UK. They should have sorted this by now. Is it a Mercedes Benz extended warranty ?

Richard

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!
That's the very same page I found :)
I printed it out and took it into the dealer, and showed it to them.
I also asked them to look up "aux volume too low" in TIPS - but they said it does not apply for some reason.

My system is saying HW/SW 07/51/08/13/01

They are adamant that my NTG 2.5 is at the latest software still.

I waiting for my system to fail again so I can video it as evidence - trouble is that sometimes it is OK for weeks, then fails daily ... so I could have a long wait.

I've also emailed Mercedes customer service.

My "Version" page is indicating:
Navi Database NAVTEC BFDB0092
HDD contents 0.084.2301

Any idea what version of maps that indicates?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom