number plate light staying on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rupz911

Car
W211 Mercedes e220cdi (04)
Hi Guys,

Once again i am at your mercy. I have been infromed by my neighbour that my number plate light (left side) was on last night. Despite me turning off the car remotely. Now, ive suffered a few issues with the electronics and attributed it to the alarm (which i subsequently removed) but still had a drained battery.

Does anyone know why my number plate light would be left on or maybe has a wiring diagram for it?

Many thanks in advance.

hi Dec,

A single blown lamp is a possibility, but would that not show up as a malfunction on the dash?

Thanks for the link, i will take a look at it and see if it is a dodgy wire etc. Lets hope I can get it sorted ASAP.

Sounds like a dodgy rear SAM.
Best to get it on star, as this may end up being the easiest way to diagnose,

hi Dec,

A single blown lamp is a possibility, but would that not show up as a malfunction on the dash?

Thanks for the link, i will take a look at it and see if it is a dodgy wire etc. Lets hope I can get it sorted ASAP.

That’s true alright, never thought of that, you would expect both bulbs to come on if there was some kind of short somewhere.
Have you been able to replicate the fault?

Dec

Not yet Dec. Planning to have a go at it some time this week, time permitting.

Sorry Ted, i didnt see your comment earlier. For the benefit of yourself and blackcat (and other members who are reading) i have noted a few details below.

Just a bit of background. I connected the battery terminals the wrong way round (stupid i know). I had it put on star and the front SAM unit was changed as was a relay in the rear fuse box (i believe).

In addition to this silly mistake of mine, previously my car lights were staying on and the battery dying. i previously attributed this (with the help of the forum members) to the alarm siren and removed the siren. The car behaved fine and there were no issues, however, this could not completely be verified as since removing the siren i was doing long drives and this could have charged up the battery (usually i was only doing 5 mile round trips). Now, after a day or two of doing my usual short trips i popped in to my local ASDA (yes im going to name and shame them) for 10 mins i returned to my car and the battery gave up on me.

I had not had any convenience features disabled nor problems with the battery at that stage.

So, i ask, is this the rear SAM or dodgy wiring problem?

Thanks in advance

If one number plate light is staying on, especially given what you have also said, I would be pretty sure it is the SAM.
Again - get it tested with star as it may save you in the long run. The new one may also need coding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom