Occasional sticking park break.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jotter22

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK 320 Avantgarde convertible
I am finding the park break release is sometimes a bit of a pig and requires 2-3 goes on the lever (release)? I don't use the car all the time is there a quick solution or is it a pants down visit to the menders? Car is a 2004 clk 320 cab.

Thanks guys,

Tony.

Have same problem, I push the park break pedal a harder and then it usually realeses.

If it's the same as the w203 they're notoriously unreliable. They can be adjusted via an access panel under the rear seat. Do a search on here for C-class and 203 parking/foot brake. I seem to recall at least one useful picture being posted in the past.

If it's not the same as a W203 ignore the above :D

Wow just had a quick look at Stratman's post i am not that athletic or do i have that man's patience might need a trip to the menders!

Tony.

Right development if i release the park break and use my foot to lift the lever the last 1/4 of an inch all is fine so could this just be lubrication needed if so would you think peddle end or rear end under the seat?

Cheers guys Tony.

Like Spin Bowler, i adjusted mine(W203) via the the rear panel under the rear seat. Easy job and has been ok since

Like Spin Bowler, i adjusted mine(W203) via the the rear panel under the rear seat. Easy job and has been ok since

Same symptoms? Thanks i will have a look :thumb:

Tony.

It's a long time since I've been described as athletic :D

Those particular contortions were to fix the main pedal spring popping out of its location in a small plastic lever.

Like the suggestions made already, the easiest job is adjusting and lubricating the cable splitter under the rear seat. It can last quite a few months before it needs doing again.

If it doesn't work it could be worth removing the rear wheels and checking the operating levers are free to move. A general cleaning followed by a dab of copperslip certainly won't hurt.

if it gets worse and you cant release your parking break if you get your foot under the parking break pedal and lift it up it will release. As mentioned a little tighten up should do the job.

When removing the seat base does the sub box/port come out as well or is that a separate part?

Tony.

What do you mean by 'sub box/port'?

Might not be much help to you as this is for a C Class and I've no idea if the CLK is similar or not.

When I had the same problem with mine I removed the rear seat base and a smallish metal plate (approx 7" x 7") and the cable splitter (pictured) is then easily accessible.

I lubricated the three cables where they enter their outer casings and also the mechanical part that swivels, then applied and released the brake several times, applied more oil and repeated this a few times.

I also gave the pedal end of the cable and the pedal mechanism a good spraying with GT85 spray lubricant. (If you do the same place plenty of rags or something under the pedal to absorb any drips)!

NB. Bear in mind that the adjustment (the nut marked with the arrow) is to adjust any slack in the cable which may have stretched and not to adjust the brake shoes. Those adjusters are actually in the brake drums. Overtightening the cable adjuster will apply the brake shoes permanently!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom