Odd noise from steering when cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Recently in colder mornings I've noticed an odd noise from my steering for the first 1 minute or so of the morning as I pull out of my drive way and turn the wheel when the car is cold there is almost like a creak noise from the steering...
When it's warm it's fine. Although the steering is rather heavy, can't be manouvered with 1 hand but just thought it's how the car is...

Is this creak when cold something to worry about? I know my car has a 'Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint dust cover damaged but preventing ingress of dirt' as shown on MOT, could it have failed and dirt getting in it be causing this? Although then how is it fine when warm?

Do I need to check power steering fluid level? Can't see the dipstick for this. It's a w209 320.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

Groaning and whining noises are often to to low (or no) power steering fluid. Worth checking anyway.

Groaning and whining noises are often to to low (or no) power steering fluid. Worth checking anyway.

Hi, how would the level fall? Maybe a leak? Isn't it a closed system? Do you know where the dip stick is? Thanks :)

Dipstick is in a different position on different cars. If the fluid level is a touch low it can cause whining and groaning, however it's very low it suggests there may be a leak somewhere?

Dipstick is in a different position on different cars. If the fluid level is a touch low it can cause whining and groaning, however it's very low it suggests there may be a leak somewhere?

Cheers I'll check tomorrow, have found the dip stick :)

Guessing it's best to get OEM fluid? Annoying that MB Parts will be closed tomorrow

Cheers I'll check tomorrow, have found the dip stick :)

Guessing it's best to get OEM fluid? Annoying that MB Parts will be closed tommorow

The chances are that it's MB fluid. So topping up with that is prudent.

The chances are that it's MB fluid. So topping up with that is prudent.

Cool will do, it should be bright red right? If it's not bright coloured I'll suck out all the fluid and fill with new

On my car the steering seems to groan at parking speed when the tyres are over-inflated... not sure if this is your issue, but it's worth trying reducing the tyre pressure to the lowest figure in the range (unladen car) and see what happens....

On my car the steering seems to groan at parking speed when the tyres are over-inflated... not sure if this is your issue, but it's worth trying reducing the tyre pressure to the lowest figure in the range (unladen car) and see what happens....

hmmm that's a good point as seems to have started after it was serviced after which I had new tyres on it :wallbash:

Have something a bit similar on my 1997 SLK 230. On investigation it seems to be just a bit of creaking from the clock spring just behind the steering wheel

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Have something a bit similar on my 1997 SLK 230. On investigation it seems to be just a bit of creaking from the clock spring just behind the steering wheel

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ah ok hopefully it's something simple then

I will check the PS fluid tomorrow.. hope it's not the punp on the way out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom